Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer

Originally Posted by Toomi8
When this story was idling in a scribbler (because I hadn't deemed it worthy of a computer write up yet!), I couldn't figure out how to get beyond the first chapter. It was Henderson's perspective that launched the rest of the fic, surprisingly. He originally wasn't going to be a 'participant,' yet ended up being my personal catalyst.

I know that phenomenon all too well. Happened to me quite a few times. I was stuck with To Love and To Lose until Lois suddenly decided that she'd figure out Clark's secret early on in the story. And all of a sudden Clark was forced to talk to her, which he'd refused until then.

Okay, now to your story. I like how Perry and Henderson protect Clark. I think they've both figured out his secret. You've really got me hooked. I'm already biting my nails waiting for the next installment.

Great work!

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Features Writer
Features Writer
Excellent chapter! clap

Glad to see Henderson and Perry both taking charge and protecting Clark. Lois may have a rough time dealing with her naivete, and the choices she made. It will be interesting to see how long she can wait for answers to Clark's injuries, and how Clark reacts when he recovers enough to face her with her probably relentless questioning. I've always thought exploring the repercussions of the cage and Luthor's suicide interesting, since each author comes up with a unique perspective. Looking forward to more.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by bakasi
I like how Perry and Henderson protect Clark. I think they've both figured out his secret. You've really got me hooked. I'm already biting my nails waiting for the next installment.

Great work!

You'll have to wait an see jump

Originally Posted by cuidadora
Excellent chapter! clap

Glad to see Henderson and Perry both taking charge and protecting Clark. Lois may have a rough time dealing with her naivete, and the choices she made. It will be interesting to see how long she can wait for answers to Clark's injuries, and how Clark reacts when he recovers enough to face her with her probably relentless questioning. I've always thought exploring the repercussions of the cage and Luthor's suicide interesting, since each author comes up with a unique perspective. Looking forward to more.

Glad you are enjoying it!

As it's a holiday here, and absolutely pouring, I posted an extra chapter for the week.... Part 4

B
Blogger
Blogger
B
An extra chapter? Very blessèd grin

I like how you're rotating through different perspectives. I think it was utilized especially well for Henderson to establish his line of thought for what happened to Clark. As I was reading through, I thought Henderson would jump and get that Clark is Superman, but it makes sense that he doesn't come to that conclusion. Also, it very interesting to see how actions get interpreted differently—Clark thinking that he's successfully hidden his burns, and Henderson being able to see right through him.

I'm loving how weighty everything feels. Thick with dramatic tension and all that:
Fighting tears, he headed back to bed, idly wondering, if his powers never returned, perhaps he would never have to wear glasses again.

Oof. May his powers return soon. Or not wink

(❁´◡`❁)
L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
My favorite trope, and you are handling it beautifully. thank you!

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Good tension. Good characterization for Clark, Perry, and Bill Henderson. Lois is in character too, but so far she's played more of a secondary role. Maybe that will change in the next couple of installments. And yes, you are handling this situation quite ably.

I'm enjoying this one a lot. And I see a Kerth nomination it it's future.

Though I haven't seen it, someone may have already mentioned this to you. The convention (and I stress that it is indeed convention and not a requirement) is to place a blue arrow in front of the story parts so they stand out a bit from other posts. I almost missed chapter 3 because I forgot you hadn't used them before. I'll find the next chapters, though, whether they're marked or not.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Yay, another chapter so soon! I liked that we got to see more of Clark, this time. And we caught a glimpse of AngryClark, which is a rare sight, but in this setting very believable. I still think that Henderson knows more than he's letting on, even to Clark. He must have noticed that the wounds are not only similar but identical. But I like that he's not telling Clark, either.

The first encounter between Lois and Clark was not very pleasant, but I seriously hope that Lois will try again.

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat.

Keep the posts coming!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What a great story! The last three paragraphs were powerful. The point about the glasses made me want to cry.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Features Writer
Features Writer
What a powerful chapter!

Glad to see Henderson and Clark's viewpoints. Nice hint about how little or much Clark may know about the wedding's ending.

“You shouldn’t leave a spare key in such an obvious place. You never know who can let themselves in.”

I cringed when reading this, Lois having her usual sharp retort, not realizing just how much she is in the wrong on several levels. I thought Clark restrained himself admirably. Thanks for including his thoughts, which were heartbreaking.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by L
My favorite trope, and you are handling it beautifully. thank you!

Glad you are enjoying, and thanks for reading and commenting smile

Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
Good tension. Good characterization for Clark, Perry, and Bill Henderson. Lois is in character too, but so far she's played more of a secondary role. Maybe that will change in the next couple of installments. And yes, you are handling this situation quite ably.

I'm enjoying this one a lot. And I see a Kerth nomination it it's future.

Though I haven't seen it, someone may have already mentioned this to you. The convention (and I stress that it is indeed convention and not a requirement) is to place a blue arrow in front of the story parts so they stand out a bit from other posts. I almost missed chapter 3 because I forgot you hadn't used them before. I'll find the next chapters, though, whether they're marked or not.

Hi Terry!

Thank you for the comments about the characterization. I feel as though I'm still getting the hang of writing for certain characters, and am glad to hear that so far it's good.

I added the arrow. At first I had no idea what you meant, but it is much easier to spot new chapters with the little blue arrows!

And thank you for the compliment! That is high praise blush

Yay, another chapter so soon! I liked that we got to see more of Clark, this time. And we caught a glimpse of AngryClark, which is a rare sight, but in this setting very believable. I still think that Henderson knows more than he's letting on, even to Clark. He must have noticed that the wounds are not only similar but identical. But I like that he's not telling Clark, either.

The first encounter between Lois and Clark was not very pleasant, but I seriously hope that Lois will try again.

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat.

Keep the posts coming!

Yes, AngryClark. He can't be easygoing and pleasant all the time! Especially after what he's been through, poor guy!

Originally Posted by Morgana
What a great story! The last three paragraphs were powerful. The point about the glasses made me want to cry.

Thanks for reading blush

Originally Posted by cuidadora
What a powerful chapter!

Glad to see Henderson and Clark's viewpoints. Nice hint about how little or much Clark may know about the wedding's ending.

“You shouldn’t leave a spare key in such an obvious place. You never know who can let themselves in.”

I cringed when reading this, Lois having her usual sharp retort, not realizing just how much she is in the wrong on several levels. I thought Clark restrained himself admirably. Thanks for including his thoughts, which were heartbreaking.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.

That was a cringe worthy line. I actually hated writing it, however, this next chapter will hopefully make it less cringy?

Features Writer
Features Writer
Whoa. I definitely feel for Lois. I wonder if she's going to begin wondering where Superman is....

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Something about this story reminds me of an old x-files episode. The same story was told once from Mulder's POV and then from Scully's. I enjoyed that episode very much. It was great to get Lois' POV. I'm wondering who of the two is going to make the first step. Clark sure doesn't seem very forthcoming at the moment.

T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Originally Posted by Blueowl
Whoa. I definitely feel for Lois. I wonder if she's going to begin wondering where Superman is....
goofy Perhaps.... other things happen first....

Something about this story reminds me of an old x-files episode. The same story was told once from Mulder's POV and then from Scully's. I enjoyed that episode very much. It was great to get Lois' POV. I'm wondering who of the two is going to make the first step. Clark sure doesn't seem very forthcoming at the moment.

I know the episode you're speaking of... one of the Wilson brothers was in it. I remember Mulder's memory made the sheriff a bucktoothed yokel, while Scully's memory turned him into a gorgeous, intelligent man. Love X Files... I really enjoyed the new seasons... Hopefully LnC can make it happen! (There are rumors of another of my favourite shows doing a new series.... But completely unrelated to this!).

I left Lois' perspective until after everyone else had had a chance to think and act, but there's more of Lois' story to come, just not this week. wink

Last edited by Toomi8; 06/03/21 10:18 PM.
T
Toomi8 Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
T
Part 6 is posted!

Features Writer
Features Writer
If he does figure it out, I wonder what he will do.....

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh, this is getting good! laugh

~•~
Features Writer
Features Writer
Very intriguing. Looking forward to more.

Cuidadora

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
With each chapter, Aftershocks keeps getting better and better...

For Superman to be unavailable wasn’t something out of the ordinary, as he couldn’t be everywhere at once, and there had been no serious crimes last night to warrant his appearance, so he hadn’t been noticed as missing. Luthor’s suicide and the lack of a superhero to rescue him shouldn’t raise too many eyebrows, he assumed, especially once the newspapers exposed Luthor for what he really was. There would, of course, be those that claimed Superman purposely wasn’t available to save Luthor, just as there would be those who would proclaim Luthor was pushed from his penthouse, and the inevitable conspiracy theorists would crawl out of the woodwork, and try to do their damage. The truth would be recorded, reported on, and some would choose to ignore it, instead willing to believe the wild theories that would emerge.

Sad, but true. Look at what happened with Arianna Carlin-Luthor.

He remembered watching the press conference before Superman left to attempt to destroy Nightfall, the adoration in Superman’s eyes, directed at Lois, as Superman prepared to leave. He remembered it because it had surprised him that the superhero had shown affection for someone so openly. There had been other times when Superman showed his affection to Lois, but they were brief, and masked quickly. It was no secret that Lois Lane had been infatuated with the Man of Steel when he first arrived, and over time, a friendship had formed. But that same adoring glance was often directed Lois’ direction from Clark. Had one man, in two guises, that cared for Lois, been trapped by Luthor, and Lois had been unaware? It would answer the question of what lured Superman and Kent to the cage in the first place! Had Luthor been aware of Kent’s true identity?

He needed to sleep on this, wake with fresh eyes and rested mind, otherwise he was going to start making crazier connections than he already was.

Awww, its a shame that Henderson is divorced and lives alone. (Not even a faithful doggie to welcome him home.) frown Observing the inner workings of Inspector Henderson's mind going over the facts is refreshing. The triangle relationship of Superman/Clark Kent/Lois Lane viewed through different eyes which are very impartial. The Inspector is an intelligent man. Once he sits down and puts all the facts together he will come up with the truth. Once you eliminate the impossible, no matter how incredible the only thing left is the truth. It might be good for him to come to that conclusion. Clark might need his protection when Lois finally figures out what's going on!

Enjoying this story a bunch!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I liked this introspective into Henderson's mind. It's very well written. Thank you.

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Love this look into Henderson’s mind especially and his concern for both Clark and Superman. Keep it up!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard