Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#78203 04/04/11 01:33 PM
S
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
S
So great to read a new installation of this story. smile1

Love Lois' thoughts once she realizes that Clark is Superman.

Dating Superman. She had been dating Superman! Her best friend could fly and see through walls. Every time she thought about how it felt to kiss him or how (and where) he had touched her she’d start to feel shaky all over again. It was strange to realize that she didn’t have to give up the Superman fantasy and could give free rein to all the possibilities her fevered imagination could concoct.
Love the connection to the lake months earlier. I wasn't sure how that was going to go but I love what you did with it. And the parallels between the two lakes really being one just as Superman and Clark are one - very clever.

I'm so glad Superman has found Lois. Can't wait to read about that reunion.

Joan

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
smile1

love that Clark used force but not deadly force. that guy needed a beating! Very satisfying installment.

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Ahhh OMG Sue!! I am deliriously happy to see you posted a new part. When I pulled that "first fdk" card, I knew I had to use it carefully, I couldn't just start throwing it around but what can I say, I was desperate. This is what your writing does to me.

I,of course,loved this part, as with all the others. You just draw me in to where I feel I am IN the story. Loved Lois' thoughts on Clark being Superman, Clark's desperation to find Lois (he can't be mild mannered ALL the time;)) and of course that he finally finds her.

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
You posted! I loved the changes that you made to this part and still love, love, LOVE Angry!Clark. All the times he remembers Lois calling for help or crying out in pain -- and there are plenty of examples in the first couple of seasons -- are such great fodder for his tired mind and waning control. Clark makes such a great tormented soul, doesn't he?

I've already given you comments, but a couple of my favorite bits...
Clark flashed her one of his mega-watt grins. "Hydrologically speaking, yes, they are."
I must be channeling Lois because this statement really made me want to roll my eyes.

"He lingers."

"Lingers?"

"I did some research. There's all sorts of video out there of Superman rescuing people. He's always very polite with them and, as soon as he sets them down, he stops touching them. With me he lingers. His hand stays on my waist or my arm or shoulder. I’m pretty sure he holds me closer than most people when he's flying with me, too. There's something there, Clark. I swear I'm not making this up."

Clark cleared his throat softly. "I didn't know he did that."
I love so much in the flashback, but this part made me want to bow and scrape. Lois doesn't let her feelings rule completely, she investigated to make sure that she wasn't imagining things. And I love Clark's response. Since we're in on the secret, that little throat clearing says soooo much.

I also like how Lois always ends up confiding in Clark and realizes so quickly that he can be trusted - a man she just met and claims to despise. Afterward, I loved seeing Lois put all the pieces together, not only that Clark's Superman, but that he was going to tell her his secret.
He couldn't confront Sadler as Superman, especially not if there was a chance that Lois was still alive. He couldn't risk giving anyone proof that Lois was special to Superman.
Here I cheered either Bobby for being the voice of reason -- or that lone, functioning brain cell. Whichever.

Sadler is a piece of work, so I wasn't sorry at all when Clark decked him. I also cheered when he double-crossed him and tied him to the radiator before calling the police. Good riddance!

It looked like a small bomb had gone off. There were hundreds of splinters of wood, a couple of pieces of popcorn, a woman's wristwatch, and a hole that looked like it was the right size for Lois slip through.

After a moment of stunned surprise, Clark couldn't help laughing in exhausted relief. Lois had escaped. Sadler had no idea who he was messing with. If anyone could free themselves from a locked train car on sheer dint of will, it was Lois Lane.
This made me laugh. Poor, poor Clark. After being tormented by Sadler and then being sure that the lack of a heartbeat meant she was dead, I can just see him disheveled and unshaven in the superman suit, doubled over in exhausted laughter that she dug her way out of a locked rail car.

Nice job. I can't wait to see more.
B

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Brilliant, and well worth the wait.

But please don't make us wait as long for part 10. grovel

I think my favourite line was:
Joy,
Lynn

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful. Very well done. Looking forward to the last part. : )

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Loved this all around. Angry Clark, finding Lois, everything. Now I want more! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Oh, I love that this fic is back! Sue, you are back!

My very, very favorite quote from this part of your fic is this:

Amazing. Lois watches and listens to Clark when he comes ever so close to saying, "I didn't know I did that." Clark doesn't realize that he almost says it, and Lois certainly doesn't realize that he almost says it, but we readers can see and hear it so clearly. This little scene and this one line throws the full awful complexity of the Lois-Clark-Superman love triangle into the starkest relief. It is as if Clark is oblivious of what he says, as if, for a moment, he is stepping "back from reality", away from his present situation with Lois, so to speak, to contemplate his love for Lois even in his Superman guise. To contemplate himself, and what his love means to himself. And to contemplate what his love does to himself. How often do we get to see Clark do that? Hardly ever, and certainly not even nearly often enough. I was mesmerized here!

The rest of this part was great too. I loved how Lois contemplated her own stupidity in relation to Clark, and that too was brilliantly told, but we get to see Lois do that quite often on these boards.

I could almost feel Lois's pain when she was trying to survive, when she was walking and walking and not knowing if anyone would find her, and when she was so thirsty. It was so horribly frustrating to see her look at the blue, empty sky. It was like seeing an ordinary person expect a miracle to emerge out of the sky, and of course it won't happen. I could feel the hopelessness of the whole situation, the limitations of even Superman's ability, but also Lois's strength and her ability not to give up.

And then he was there. Yes, it was like a miracle. You made me feel it, really.

And then the part ended! Come back soon with more!!!!

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
huh ) Miss seeing your avatar around here Lady!!!

Congrats and still a HUGE fan party

P.S.
TOTALLY loving this cliff-hanger ending. Yes it IS him!! <3

"We're both barefoot, both flushed, and we both look guilty as hell. Clark has finger-combed his hair but I'm positive mine looks like I was just f… fished out of the river."

<3 this fic!
'The Next Step' By Sue S.

Kerth
Kerth
I posted part 9 when I got home tonight, knowing that I would have to spend the next few hours away from my laptop and wouldn't drive myself crazy hitting refresh while I worried that I had waited far too long between posts.

And here you all are! hyper

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay! Another chapter!

One of my favorite paragraphs:

As nice as this spot was, if she could wish herself anywhere right now it would be home. Lois thought about the simple pleasures she'd taken for granted - a hot shower, a soft bed, and the stack of take-out menus on her kitchen counter. As soon as she got home she was going to order the #34 special from Ming's Palace and take a shower while she waited for the delivery boy to arrive.
This is just so Lois!

Everyone else already said all the stuff I wanted to say (and said it better) so I'll just say -

Write more soon, please!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sue!!!

When I saw your post I was so happy as Clark was to see Lois! laugh hyper

Finally he found her!!! Woohoo! hyper Now, what am I going to do to wait patiently for part 10? thud

And, yes, there are others in the works.
YAY! Great news! I'll have something else to look forward to.

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay!! We got part 9! goofy

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Yipee!!!! hyper hyper hyper jump jump jump

/see how happy I am that you posted part 9/

This was a fabulous part! I loved angry Clark and the parallel with the river/lake scene! (and Clark fountain of useless trivia smile ).

This was my favourite scene and line too!

I also hope we don't have to wait so long again for part 10! and that after this is finished, we get to see something from you again!

laugh

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
AAAAHHHH! How did you manage to do that? You wrote an excellent part 9 and found Lois and dealt with the bad guy, and I still feel like you left it at a cliffhanger! (Really, I think I might have exclaimed out loud when I discovered I couldn't scroll down anymore.)

I am so glad you're back! And I'm so happy to hear that you have more stories in the works!

Amber smile

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
hyper

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! So much to say, but at a loss for words. Just terrific in so many ways! dance Can't wait to see how you wrap it up, but will be sad to see it finish.

EvelynC
Features Writer
Features Writer
He was willing to trust her, quite literally, with his life. She had been indirectly right the first time she tried to guess what he had to tell her. There could only be one reason Clark would go that far - he loved her. Telling her his secret was far more binding than any declaration of love. Telling her meant he saw them together forever
I liked the parts everyone else liked(especially when the bad guy gets beat up), but this line really said SO MUCH about how wonderful a thoughtful, contemplative Lois can be, that this conclusion about whether he loved her or not was best explained by him revealing his secret. Just Awesome!

TEEEEEJ

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
Kerth
Kerth
smile1

Iolanth - Thanks! I thought that seemed very Lois-esque too. smile

Andreia - Does it help at all if I reassure you that the way for part 10 will be much, much shorter?

mozartmaid - I confess, I have a fondness/weakness myself for fics where we get to see how Lois decides to deal with her newfound knowledge. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the flashbacks and that they're working for you. <g>

DW - Nope, the wait won't be nearly as long. I'm glad the "fount of useless knowledge" amused you (because it amused me when I wrote it).

Amber - Ha! I clapped when I read you were feeling the cliffhanger. It worked! <g>

Michael - You're making it sound like squealing is a bad thing, which it rarely, rarely is. <g> I got a little paranoid when I read your comments about Sadler's final disposition. Part of your description is eerily similar to something one of our heroes is going to say. Are you hacking into my laptop again? shock Thanks for picking up on the Lois Lane/bomb analogy. It's one of my favorite things about the character. She might wallow for a while, but there's no keeping her down.

Evelyn - What a sweet thing to say! blush I don't think I'll be sad at all when it's over, but it's nice to hear that you might be. smile

TEEEEEJ - Yay! One of my betas also commented on that paragraph and its implications for their relationship. Telling Lois his secret is a HUGE deal and it made more sense to me (in this context) that she would get that. It's the best of both worlds - Clark gets credit for wanting to tell her and she gets the satisfaction of having figured it out. laugh

Lots and lots of thanks to everyone who's responded. You guys keep me going - I owe you! sloppy

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yay Sue! Soooooo excited that you're finishing up this story. My fdk is gonna be super short -sorry! I LOVED this part. Trying to think of what my fave part was. Hmmmm... I really liked that Clark tossed that little Australian with the knoife around a bit. laugh I'm just wondering when my butt squeeze will happen /lecherous stare.

Steph (who will still love Sue even if a butt squeeze doesn't fit into the story)

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard