Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: scifiJoan FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/04/11 05:33 PM
So great to read a new installation of this story. smile1

Love Lois' thoughts once she realizes that Clark is Superman.

Dating Superman. She had been dating Superman! Her best friend could fly and see through walls. Every time she thought about how it felt to kiss him or how (and where) he had touched her she’d start to feel shaky all over again. It was strange to realize that she didn’t have to give up the Superman fantasy and could give free rein to all the possibilities her fevered imagination could concoct.
Love the connection to the lake months earlier. I wasn't sure how that was going to go but I love what you did with it. And the parallels between the two lakes really being one just as Superman and Clark are one - very clever.

I'm so glad Superman has found Lois. Can't wait to read about that reunion.

Joan
Posted By: Joy Moony Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/04/11 06:03 PM
smile1

love that Clark used force but not deadly force. that guy needed a beating! Very satisfying installment.
Posted By: jackiek Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/04/11 06:04 PM
Ahhh OMG Sue!! I am deliriously happy to see you posted a new part. When I pulled that "first fdk" card, I knew I had to use it carefully, I couldn't just start throwing it around but what can I say, I was desperate. This is what your writing does to me.

I,of course,loved this part, as with all the others. You just draw me in to where I feel I am IN the story. Loved Lois' thoughts on Clark being Superman, Clark's desperation to find Lois (he can't be mild mannered ALL the time;)) and of course that he finally finds her.

Jackie
Posted By: BJ Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/04/11 06:20 PM
You posted! I loved the changes that you made to this part and still love, love, LOVE Angry!Clark. All the times he remembers Lois calling for help or crying out in pain -- and there are plenty of examples in the first couple of seasons -- are such great fodder for his tired mind and waning control. Clark makes such a great tormented soul, doesn't he?

I've already given you comments, but a couple of my favorite bits...
Clark flashed her one of his mega-watt grins. "Hydrologically speaking, yes, they are."
I must be channeling Lois because this statement really made me want to roll my eyes.

"He lingers."

"Lingers?"

"I did some research. There's all sorts of video out there of Superman rescuing people. He's always very polite with them and, as soon as he sets them down, he stops touching them. With me he lingers. His hand stays on my waist or my arm or shoulder. I’m pretty sure he holds me closer than most people when he's flying with me, too. There's something there, Clark. I swear I'm not making this up."

Clark cleared his throat softly. "I didn't know he did that."
I love so much in the flashback, but this part made me want to bow and scrape. Lois doesn't let her feelings rule completely, she investigated to make sure that she wasn't imagining things. And I love Clark's response. Since we're in on the secret, that little throat clearing says soooo much.

I also like how Lois always ends up confiding in Clark and realizes so quickly that he can be trusted - a man she just met and claims to despise. Afterward, I loved seeing Lois put all the pieces together, not only that Clark's Superman, but that he was going to tell her his secret.
He couldn't confront Sadler as Superman, especially not if there was a chance that Lois was still alive. He couldn't risk giving anyone proof that Lois was special to Superman.
Here I cheered either Bobby for being the voice of reason -- or that lone, functioning brain cell. Whichever.

Sadler is a piece of work, so I wasn't sorry at all when Clark decked him. I also cheered when he double-crossed him and tied him to the radiator before calling the police. Good riddance!

It looked like a small bomb had gone off. There were hundreds of splinters of wood, a couple of pieces of popcorn, a woman's wristwatch, and a hole that looked like it was the right size for Lois slip through.

After a moment of stunned surprise, Clark couldn't help laughing in exhausted relief. Lois had escaped. Sadler had no idea who he was messing with. If anyone could free themselves from a locked train car on sheer dint of will, it was Lois Lane.
This made me laugh. Poor, poor Clark. After being tormented by Sadler and then being sure that the lack of a heartbeat meant she was dead, I can just see him disheveled and unshaven in the superman suit, doubled over in exhausted laughter that she dug her way out of a locked rail car.

Nice job. I can't wait to see more.
B
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/04/11 06:27 PM
Brilliant, and well worth the wait.

But please don't make us wait as long for part 10. grovel

I think my favourite line was:
Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Framework4 Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/04/11 07:10 PM
Delightful. Very well done. Looking forward to the last part. : )
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/04/11 07:15 PM
Loved this all around. Angry Clark, finding Lois, everything. Now I want more! Laura
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/04/11 07:31 PM
Oh, I love that this fic is back! Sue, you are back!

My very, very favorite quote from this part of your fic is this:

Amazing. Lois watches and listens to Clark when he comes ever so close to saying, "I didn't know I did that." Clark doesn't realize that he almost says it, and Lois certainly doesn't realize that he almost says it, but we readers can see and hear it so clearly. This little scene and this one line throws the full awful complexity of the Lois-Clark-Superman love triangle into the starkest relief. It is as if Clark is oblivious of what he says, as if, for a moment, he is stepping "back from reality", away from his present situation with Lois, so to speak, to contemplate his love for Lois even in his Superman guise. To contemplate himself, and what his love means to himself. And to contemplate what his love does to himself. How often do we get to see Clark do that? Hardly ever, and certainly not even nearly often enough. I was mesmerized here!

The rest of this part was great too. I loved how Lois contemplated her own stupidity in relation to Clark, and that too was brilliantly told, but we get to see Lois do that quite often on these boards.

I could almost feel Lois's pain when she was trying to survive, when she was walking and walking and not knowing if anyone would find her, and when she was so thirsty. It was so horribly frustrating to see her look at the blue, empty sky. It was like seeing an ordinary person expect a miracle to emerge out of the sky, and of course it won't happen. I could feel the hopelessness of the whole situation, the limitations of even Superman's ability, but also Lois's strength and her ability not to give up.

And then he was there. Yes, it was like a miracle. You made me feel it, really.

And then the part ended! Come back soon with more!!!!

Ann
Posted By: LolaDane Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/04/11 08:07 PM
huh ) Miss seeing your avatar around here Lady!!!

Congrats and still a HUGE fan party

P.S.
TOTALLY loving this cliff-hanger ending. Yes it IS him!! <3
Posted By: Sue S. Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/04/11 09:38 PM
I posted part 9 when I got home tonight, knowing that I would have to spend the next few hours away from my laptop and wouldn't drive myself crazy hitting refresh while I worried that I had waited far too long between posts.

And here you all are! hyper
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/04/11 10:41 PM
Yay! Another chapter!

One of my favorite paragraphs:

As nice as this spot was, if she could wish herself anywhere right now it would be home. Lois thought about the simple pleasures she'd taken for granted - a hot shower, a soft bed, and the stack of take-out menus on her kitchen counter. As soon as she got home she was going to order the #34 special from Ming's Palace and take a shower while she waited for the delivery boy to arrive.
This is just so Lois!

Everyone else already said all the stuff I wanted to say (and said it better) so I'll just say -

Write more soon, please!
Posted By: Ultra Woman Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/05/11 11:36 AM
Sue!!!

When I saw your post I was so happy as Clark was to see Lois! laugh hyper

Finally he found her!!! Woohoo! hyper Now, what am I going to do to wait patiently for part 10? thud

And, yes, there are others in the works.
YAY! Great news! I'll have something else to look forward to.

Andreia
Posted By: mozartmaid Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/05/11 01:29 PM
Yay!! We got part 9! goofy
Posted By: DW Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/06/11 06:40 AM
Yipee!!!! hyper hyper hyper jump jump jump

/see how happy I am that you posted part 9/

This was a fabulous part! I loved angry Clark and the parallel with the river/lake scene! (and Clark fountain of useless trivia smile ).

This was my favourite scene and line too!

I also hope we don't have to wait so long again for part 10! and that after this is finished, we get to see something from you again!

laugh
Posted By: amberlea Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/06/11 07:59 AM
AAAAHHHH! How did you manage to do that? You wrote an excellent part 9 and found Lois and dealt with the bad guy, and I still feel like you left it at a cliffhanger! (Really, I think I might have exclaimed out loud when I discovered I couldn't scroll down anymore.)

I am so glad you're back! And I'm so happy to hear that you have more stories in the works!

Amber smile
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/06/11 01:39 PM
hyper

Michael
Posted By: EvelynC Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/06/11 03:48 PM
Wow! So much to say, but at a loss for words. Just terrific in so many ways! dance Can't wait to see how you wrap it up, but will be sad to see it finish.
Posted By: shimauma Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/06/11 07:00 PM
He was willing to trust her, quite literally, with his life. She had been indirectly right the first time she tried to guess what he had to tell her. There could only be one reason Clark would go that far - he loved her. Telling her his secret was far more binding than any declaration of love. Telling her meant he saw them together forever
I liked the parts everyone else liked(especially when the bad guy gets beat up), but this line really said SO MUCH about how wonderful a thoughtful, contemplative Lois can be, that this conclusion about whether he loved her or not was best explained by him revealing his secret. Just Awesome!

TEEEEEJ
Posted By: Sue S. Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/07/11 09:05 PM
smile1

Iolanth - Thanks! I thought that seemed very Lois-esque too. smile

Andreia - Does it help at all if I reassure you that the way for part 10 will be much, much shorter?

mozartmaid - I confess, I have a fondness/weakness myself for fics where we get to see how Lois decides to deal with her newfound knowledge. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the flashbacks and that they're working for you. <g>

DW - Nope, the wait won't be nearly as long. I'm glad the "fount of useless knowledge" amused you (because it amused me when I wrote it).

Amber - Ha! I clapped when I read you were feeling the cliffhanger. It worked! <g>

Michael - You're making it sound like squealing is a bad thing, which it rarely, rarely is. <g> I got a little paranoid when I read your comments about Sadler's final disposition. Part of your description is eerily similar to something one of our heroes is going to say. Are you hacking into my laptop again? shock Thanks for picking up on the Lois Lane/bomb analogy. It's one of my favorite things about the character. She might wallow for a while, but there's no keeping her down.

Evelyn - What a sweet thing to say! blush I don't think I'll be sad at all when it's over, but it's nice to hear that you might be. smile

TEEEEEJ - Yay! One of my betas also commented on that paragraph and its implications for their relationship. Telling Lois his secret is a HUGE deal and it made more sense to me (in this context) that she would get that. It's the best of both worlds - Clark gets credit for wanting to tell her and she gets the satisfaction of having figured it out. laugh

Lots and lots of thanks to everyone who's responded. You guys keep me going - I owe you! sloppy
Posted By: stephnachia Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/07/11 09:31 PM
Yay Sue! Soooooo excited that you're finishing up this story. My fdk is gonna be super short -sorry! I LOVED this part. Trying to think of what my fave part was. Hmmmm... I really liked that Clark tossed that little Australian with the knoife around a bit. laugh I'm just wondering when my butt squeeze will happen /lecherous stare.

Steph (who will still love Sue even if a butt squeeze doesn't fit into the story)
Posted By: minimunch3 Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/08/11 01:34 PM
Sue!!! I was so excited to see a new story from you!!! dance

It's a pretty slow work day so I actually read all 9 parts today (even though I suppose I shouldn't be reading fic at work). I could not stop reading! The entire story was fantastic. But for this part, TEEEEEJ already quoted my favorite lines.

You have a way of developing the story and writing the characters that is just...perfect. I can't get enough of your stories. I hope the last part comes super soon! And that you don't wait too long to debut your next story!

~Kristen
Posted By: Vicki Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/10/11 03:50 PM
Yeah! You posted Chapter 9! sloppy
Posted By: stephnachia Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/14/11 10:53 AM
/pokes head in - psst, hey Sue! How's that part 10 coming along? If you would like me to read it before you post it for no other reason than you just love me, I'll really understand. You know where to find me! wink
Posted By: jackiek Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/15/11 05:14 PM
I'm going to have to poke my head in as well. The last thing I want to do is nag, especially since we were lucky enough to get part 9 but I can't help it. You can't blame an addict for wanting their drug, right? goofy
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/17/11 10:29 AM
Are you hacking into my laptop again?
angel-devil What hacking? And no, I did not see the pictures of you and Superman in the folder marked 'inspiration for the dark side'.

Michael
Posted By: minimunch3 Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/25/11 06:37 AM
Sue,

I am willing to beg and grovel at this point! grovel grovel

But don't look at it as nagging, just a friendly reminder of how awesome you are and how desperate we are. wink

~Kristen
Posted By: Vicki Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/25/11 12:30 PM
Kristen beat me to it. I was just thinking today how it's about time to give this thread another bump. laugh
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/25/11 01:41 PM
Me, too blush

Michael
Posted By: DW Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/26/11 10:15 AM
Me too as well! /ok, that sounds strange/

We really want to read part 10! wink

laugh
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/26/11 10:22 AM
I know it's not fair and pathetic all those things but I couldn't help dig this bit up from part 8's FDK blush
Originally posted by Sue S. on April 4th, 2011:
I've had part 9 done for a while now, but I wanted to get to the point where 10 was pretty much ready to post so that I didn't drag out the last part and ruin any cogency the story still might have.
[...]
My plan is to post 9 tonight and 10 in a few days.
It's all right to give part 10 another spin and make it all better. Just, please, give us a little something to hold on to in the mean time grovel

Michael

Edit: Just seen this on the other thread. Hope you've had a great vacation smile
Posted By: Sue S. Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/27/11 02:47 PM
I apologize (again, some more) for the delay. I just got back from a fabulous time in NYC with my family. It's been a few years since I've gone somewhere and been able to just hang out the whole time (usually when I travel it's because I'm speaking at a conference and that's just no fun at all).

Steph – I laughed so hard at your description of Sadler as a "short Australian with a knife". I'm not sure where that came from, but it amuses me to think that's how you picture him. Like Crocodile Dundee with a serious personality disorder. <heh>

This is completely OT, but sorta related to butt squeezing. We went to a ramen restaurant in NY because I was jonesing to have some like we did in LA. It came close, but it wasn't quite as good. There was a wait to get in and, sadly, I didn't get to grope a single person to pass the time. Next time, Steph, I'll insist on bringing you along so I have something (or someone) to do. thumbsup

Kristen – I was equally as excited to see that you'd left me feedback! Thank you!

Vicki – Whew! I had begun to despair that I had lost you. mecry Not that I'm keeping track of who leaves FDK and then begin to pace and mumble to myself when they never come back again. Uh uh. Nope. Not me. blush

If I was that kind of person, I'd surely be feeling all sorts of needed and loved when I saw the nudges that you guys posted in my absence. I confess - I do! Alas, I also feel guilty. So this is the part where I exit verrrrrrrry sloooooooowly from the thread and open part 10 in the hopes that the dissatisfaction that I felt with it before leaving on vacation has lessened.
peep
Posted By: LolaDane Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/27/11 04:57 PM
BR standing by!
Posted By: stephnachia Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 04/30/11 10:13 PM
Never have I had such good ramen as I did in LA with the FOLCS... or butt squeezing. laugh
Posted By: EmilyC Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 05/02/11 11:47 AM
goofy
Posted By: stephnachia Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 05/05/11 08:53 PM
Bumpy McBumperson
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 05/14/11 04:36 PM
We're so close to the grand finale, yet so far...

Have mercy on us, Sue! grovel

Thanks,
Lynn
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 05/18/11 11:33 AM
Bump... in the road? smile1

Michael
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 05/20/11 08:04 PM
Still waiting for The Other Shoe (10/10) to drop...

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Sue S. Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 05/20/11 08:21 PM
Thank you, Emily! I love that you highlighted how much it means that he'd trust her with his secret. It is a big decision and it's not one that he can take lightly. You can't make her unknow who Superman is, after all.

And now I send my apologies to Lynn, Steph and Michael as I tiptoe quietly out of the thread. Shhh. You didn't see anything.

Okay, the truth is I'm deeply, deeply unhappy with the final scene. And now that I've dragged it out this long, it seems worth it to wait until I get it right. I promise it will get finished (and sooner rather than later). blush
Posted By: minimunch3 Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 07/21/11 08:40 AM
I just wanted to bump this to the top. Sue, although it's been awhile, I still think of this story often. I cannot wait until you wrap it all up in a nice, neat little bow smile

~Kristen
Posted By: EmilyC Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 07/21/11 12:56 PM
I cannot wait until you wrap it all up in a nice, neat little bow smile
...and grace us with the nfic epilogue *ducks*
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 07/21/11 01:07 PM
[Linked Image]

Michael

PS: Yes, it's meant to symbolize both camping out here in the thread *and* Lois and Clark, out alone in the woods. A small tent. A rainy outside. And only platonic stuff happening angel-devil
Posted By: shimauma Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 07/21/11 07:03 PM
Originally posted by EmilyC:
I cannot wait until you wrap it all up in a nice, neat little bow smile
...and grace us with the nfic epilogue *ducks*
No ducking, I'm standing right next to you!!

grovel
Posted By: Artemis Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 07/28/11 10:04 AM
Still waiting...and waiting...and waiting. No pressure though wave Just to let you know we haven't forgotten.
cool
Artemis
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 07/28/11 09:30 PM
...eagerly awaiting....
Posted By: Sue S. Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/03/11 10:40 AM
dizzy

Thanks for the nudges! sloppy
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/03/11 11:03 AM
hyper
Michael
Posted By: Artemis Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/03/11 03:46 PM
Me pumps fist! Yes!! And we'll want that loooonnnggg nfic story when you get it done, too.
Artemis drool sloppy
Posted By: DW Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/03/11 04:19 PM
smile1 hyper dance

(I'll join the party too!)

laugh
Posted By: jackiek Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/03/11 08:58 PM
Yahoo!! Can't wait!
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/03/11 09:53 PM
Any salacious thoughts I have concerning our heroes will have to go towards getting the aforementioned now epically proportioned nfic story finished.
/panting and drooling at the thought of a new Sue S. nfic.../

And YAY for the completion of "The Other Shoe"!
Posted By: minimunch3 Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/04/11 07:47 AM
Yay! dance

Thanks, Sue!
Posted By: Ultra Woman Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/04/11 08:07 AM
Epic Sue nfic!!! hyper hyper hyper Best news of the year! clap clap
Posted By: KenJ Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/05/11 02:18 PM
I look forward to both, but first --- Please don't leave us hanging anymore. You MUST finish this tale or we will all die of frustration. dance
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/06/11 05:47 AM
Yayayayay! Bring it on Sue!
Posted By: Sue S. Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/07/11 09:13 AM
blush Two pages?!?! smile1 Thanks, you guys! Ken, I swear I will try my hardest not to leave things hanging like this in the future. That's exactly why the nfic isn't being posted. I want it one or two parts away from completion before I start. smile

As promised, I did send out part 10 to my betas on Wednesday. It's probably going to take a little longer to hear back from them because this is a bigger part than usual (14 pages instead of 9-10).

Sooooo, I'm guessing it will be sometime this week.
Posted By: Darth Michael Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/07/11 09:33 AM
hyper This week! It's still Sunday over here. And in the US, too! hyper

Michael

PS: No, only my fanboy side assumes 'this week' really does mean within the next 6-18 hours.
Posted By: jackiek Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/10/11 04:46 PM
smile1 smile1
Posted By: stephnachia Re: FDK The Other Shoe (9/10) - 08/11/11 09:32 AM
Yipeeeee!!!! Now I can go and reread it in preparation for the finale. hyper
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards