Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72451 06/29/10 04:26 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Preview of 28

"The Melbourne Hawks," Browny said. "Announced earlier this morning. Both boards in agreement."

"So ..." Lois gulped. She took two steadying breaths. "No more Hawthorn."

Browny looked at her with genuine sympathy. "Melbourne were never going to give up their name," he said.

Lois swallowed and then sucked in another colossal breath. "I'm going to Glenferrie," she declared.

"I knew you would," Browny said. "Rubber, you go with her."

"No!" The word shot from her mouth with such force it seemed to propel her into action. She turned to Clark and put both hands on his chest. "No," she said. She searched for his eyes and silently pleaded for his understanding. "I need to do this alone."

"Lois -"

"Please, Clark," she begged. "Please just let me do this. Please."
Thanks

Corrina.

S
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S
started out so sweet, poor lois. sigh

Beat Reporter
Online Content
Beat Reporter
Great part!!! I really really enjoyed this one. Everything said in their talk, and mostly everything said by Lois, helps the last 3 parts make much more sense.She's gone through every option, every implication... She knows full well what she's getting herself into and is more than willing.

"When you said that, I knew immediately that it came with so many ramifications. And that multiplied when you said that you'd never told anyone else - it wasn't too hard to realise that you saw our relationship as close, lifelong, intimate, exclusive, special."
I think I've read this explanation before... laugh

Martha glanced up to Clark and smiled. "She's perfect," she mouthed.
You just gotta love Martha!

Despite the amount of on screen time they had in the show, it wouldn't have been the same without the Kents, without THOSE Kents. And it shows in the way the characters almost always have their role in the fics.

"Hawthorn and Melbourne have announced their intention to merge," Browny said. "To form the Melbourne Hawks."
Now this... I must admit I googled. Couldn't help it and thus sort of spoiled myself. But I'm going to comment as if I actually hadn't and say that one of the first things that came to my mind with this was that it increased the likelihood of Lois moving to Metropolis. Sort of it being the one thing that could lead her to somehow give footy up (not completely, but as the number 1 -or 2 now goofy - thing in her life)

Anyway, I really enjoyed this. Keep them coming!

Cris
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Brilliant chapter and the ending as well as it sets up the perfect "exit" for Lois to go to Metropolis with Clark; however, she would have to say her goodbyes first to Hawthorn and accept that the Hawks have merged with Melbourne.

So, I am guessing that it might go a little down hill and that Lois might push Clark away a little?

smile

OK, now I also googled it, but I'll stick to my previous assumptions so that my new theories don't spoil the story.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
It does not help the Daily Planet in anyway if Clark does the interview.

Either Superman lied when he admitted to Mayson that the green rock was the source of his power and he faked weakness to trick Trask.

Or Mayson lied in her article.

We know it was the later, the people don't know. Either Superman exposes her lie, and she is toast, or he does not and no one will trust anything Superman says.

Give the interview to the LA Times or the London Time or both or since Clark speaks a number of languages, have him give several interview to NON English newspapers first.

Anyways no reputable Newspaper is going to offer a $1,000,000. for an interview. The Author made certain to mention Lex Luthor in this part
Mayson had just landed the first big exclusive interview with Lex Luthor - he's the third richest man in the world
and Clark seems to have no clue that Luthor is evil. Thus the whole $1,000,000. interview is an attempt by Luthor to verify Superman is gone for good. Even worse if Luthor figured out Trask was wrong and Mayson was lying he could have some kryptonite ready for a second try at killing Superman.

Do the interview someplace outside of Metropolis.

On the other hand Berry from TOGOM could show up posing as a powerless Superman for the $1,000,000. and confirm that he is now powerless and trying to live a normal life. Front page photos of Berry and Mayson at the Daily Planet. And someone kills him as he leaves the Daily Planet.

Or perhaps it is time for the clone Superman, from Vatman , to show up.

Or Clark ignores the entire Superman war for a while and stays out of sight. Then the Nightfall asteroid threatens all life on the Earth and he flys up to stop it.

Perhaps the New Kryponians can arrive and Zara can grant Mayson an interview. I'd like to see the public reaction to Superman's wife.

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Unbelievable. I'll stave off the googling for now, but did it just happen like this in real life? Did Hawthorne and Melbourne just merge without warning?

Time to go scrape my jaw off the floor,
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Sarah There had to be something happen to break up the WAFF laugh Thanks, Sarah.

Cristina Because the fic is still mostly in Clark's POV, Lois's reaction to the revelation came out bit by bit. I'm glad this part explained her thought processes.

I agree totally about M&J - they are such a big part of who Clark is.

When Iolanthe suggested writing a Lois and Clark footy fic, my immediate thought was - 'The Merger'. (It has taken 27 parts to get to it!!)

However, I understand that for most of the readers, the perfect solution would be for Hawthorn to fold/die/merge because that would free Lois to be with Clark - which, of course, is what every FoLC wants.

That is one of the reasons why I spent so much time on football earlier in the fic. I'm hoping that non-Melburnian readers will understand Lois's feelings at the prospect of losing Hawthorn.

DW Down hill? Lois and Clark have just spent 3 days building their relationship. Here's Test One!

Thanks.

Framework

It does not help the Daily Planet in anyway if Clark does the interview.
It helps less if the Metropolis Star gets an exclusive.

Re Mayson - it could be different in other countries, but here the specifics of what is actually said are often lost in the big picture - particuarly when the picture is as big as a man who can fly.

And people who manipulate and play games with the truth are usually very good at avoiding becoming toast.

Anyways no reputable Newspaper is going to offer a $1,000,000. for an interview.
I expected someone to make this comment - perhaps particularly that Perry wouldn't allow this to happen.

However, consider Perry's position. He's never had Lois Lane. He doesn't have Clark Kent. He does have Mayson Drake who is brilliant, but her methods are questionable - and she made a huge strategic mistake by siding with Jason Trask. She also has a very rich, very powerful uncle on the board of the DP.

And - in the BIGGEST story of all time, the DP's arch rival, the Star, has managed to usurp it as the forerunner in everything Superman.

I think that's enough for Perry - and the DP board - to be feeling a little desperate.

Nice ideas, by the way!

Thanks.

Jen At this stage in the fic, the *proposed* merger has been announced. Yes, it did happen just like this - and most of what will play out in later parts is also as close to RL as I can get without risking misrepresenting real people.

Thanks for the FDK, Jen.

Corrina.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
As for the merger thing, you told me, Corrina, that you have been a Hawthorn fan for thirty-eight years. I kind of doubt that you would have remained a fan of them if Hawthorn no longer existed, if the team had been usurped by Melbourne and become the inferior part of the Melbourne Hawks. I don't think you are a fan of the Melbourne Hawks, Corrina, not even the inferior part of it.

(Although... I remember commenting on the fact that Hawthorn have a hawk as their symbol, which I found strange. I thought that with a name like that, they should have had a flowering hawthorn shrub as a symbol instead. Any comments on that... Female Hawk?) wink

I love that Lois told Clark that by telling her his secret, he basically proposed to her. He didn't think of it like that himself, but that is what he did. And Lois needed a little time to think about his "proposal". By accepting him wholeheartedly, by agreeing to spend time with him in the same way that she had done before he revealed his secret to her, she basically accepted his proposal. Clark didn't have to pop the question for Lois to know that Clark had proposed and she had said yes. That's why she said this:

"Live in Metropolis the rest of the year?" Lois finished. "Realistically, there's a six week break between the Grand Final and the start of pre-season training. That hardly constitutes a married life."

Clark's eyes darted to her face. "*Married*?" he breathed.

Her face had gone scarlet. "I'm sorry," she said. "I ... I ... I shouldn't have said that."
She felt she was being too presumptious. I loved her explanation to Clark.

What a difference between Lois and Mayson:

"Three months ago, I was at a function - most of the Daily Planet staff was there. Mayson had just landed the first big exclusive interview with Lex Luthor - he's the third richest man in the world - and she was called up during the presentations to say a few words."

"What did she say?"

"She announced our engagement."

"She did *what*?"

"She announced that we were engaged to be married."
eek razz mad

I have no idea how you are going to bridge the "geographical gap" between Clark and Lois, but I think Lois has two missions ahead of her. First, she has to stop the Hawthorn-Melbourne merger from happening, or at least she has to make sure it doesn't happen in such a way that Hawthorn "disappears". Second, I think the Daily Planet is in really sore need of a good reporter, and it might be up to Lois to fix that. Hmmmmm. wink

Ann

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Female Hawk:

Framework
Anyways no reputable Newspaper is going to offer a $1,000,000. for an interview.
I expected someone to make this comment - perhaps particularly that Perry wouldn't allow this to happen.
Also keep in mind that Mayson made the offer in the heat of the moment. Perry was then put in the unenviable position of following through with it or reneging on an oral contract made by one of his reporters. Although he probably didn't like having to follow through on the offer, he would consider that to be the more honourable alternative.

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I believe this is an accurate representation:
hyper hyper hyper eek clap

The Hawthorn merger. Well. I'm not going to google it. But I believe I remember what you posted some months ago about your name and avatar and that you included the name of the Hawks in this post. So, if memory serves right, I know the official outcome. Whether or not you're going to change it though for dramatic purposes, well huh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
M
Blogger
Blogger
M
Wow, what an awesome story. I have been waiting for it to be finished before I read it but I went and read the first chapter and ended up reading the rest. I love this story. You have made me want to see a footy game, barrack for hawthorne, and visit melbourne all with this story. I have always found australia to be facinating. I used to read romance novels that were based in australia. I have always wanted to visit, and this has made me really want to visit. I am so glad you have posted pictures and videos as well. I have learned so much about australia through your story alone.

I had never heard of footy before this story. I thought you ment soccer until lois and clark started to play at the beginning of the story. I had to wiki footy to make sure I was reading correctly. confused

I love that this story takes place in australia. I wouldnt mind if clark moved there to be with lois. He seems to have made friends their pretty well. Your story is AU so I think it would fit with him moving to Melbourne. Superman can barrack for Hawthorne. Dan can move to Metropolis and help rehabilitate Mason.

I love the way their relationship has progressed and the way they have come to trust each other. I hope this possible merger does not cause to much trouble for my favorite couple.

You are a great story teller and I so look foreward to reading the rest of this story. I sincerely hope I will get to vist your beautiful country oneday because they are few different dishes I so want to taste thanks to your wonderful story.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Ann

As for the merger thing, you told me, Corrina, that you have been a Hawthorn fan for thirty-eight years. I kind of doubt that you would have remained a fan of them if Hawthorn no longer existed, if the team had been usurped by Melbourne and become the inferior part of the Melbourne Hawks. I don't think you are a fan of the Melbourne Hawks, Corrina, not even the inferior part of it.
All true. And even though it's 14 years since these events, I would never write a fic about the death of my club.

As for why Hawthorn are the Hawks - I can't think of any club whose nickname is a flower or shrub. But ... you've mentioned the flower before, so I slipped it into the fic. I'll credit you with the idea when I post that part!

RE the Daily Planet - yeah, the paper without Lois (and with Clark missing) just seems to lack something, doesn't it? That was one of the reasons why I put Mayson in there.

Thanks, Ann.

Lynn Perry is definitely paying for some decisions made while he was in the hospital.

smile

Michael

The interview sounds great. Fun. For us.
The interview is in Part 32. It was one of my favourite parts to write.

So, if memory serves right, I know the official outcome. Whether or not you're going to change it though for dramatic purposes, well
No, I'm not going to change it. The intrigue is not so much in the outcome, but how that outcome is achieved.

Thanks, Michael.

Mika Thanks! One of the fun parts for me has been to put Lois and Clark into settings that are familiar to me. I'm really glad you're enjoying it too.

Re visiting - if you happen to be in Melbourne between April and August and you want to see a footy game ... laugh I always have spare brown and gold scarves!!

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Corrina,

Sorry to be so late. I've been doing some catch-up. I got to this and just had to comment:
"Live in Metropolis the rest of the year?" Lois finished. "Realistically, there's a six week break between the Grand Final and the start of pre-season training. That hardly constitutes a married life."
thud thud thud thud thud Lois is already thinking that far ahead. She IS on top of things. But you're right. That kind of commitment is inherent in the sharing of the secret.

The rest of the coversation where it leads to this:
"In *telling* me you're Superman, you *asked* so many questions, and I needed to find answers for all of them. Eventually, after churning through all the possible consequences, I realised that my answer to every question is 'yes'."
is just great. I know there will be issues ahead but I hope this means they will be supporting each other throughout.

The "Superman Wars" stuff is pretty wild. I like the idea of the joint interview but knowing that Mayson has already lied, I'd wan't more than just her and Linda King. I'd try to bring in a few more. And make sure that there is a video record! I'm glad that Lois got to have input on how to handle this situation.

Finally, that was quite a bomb at the end. I thought the Superman Wars was going to be the main stress point from her out. I see I was mistaken.

I am loving the story. Please forgive the low feedback.
Bob

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard