Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
<happy sigh>

Beautiful, Marilyn! thumbsup . Waffy, romantic, sweet and the perfect way to round off an afternoon.

I enjoyed the fact that Ramonah chose the record to play - much more fitting somehow than if Clark had. Also liked the little narrative tricks you used to tell the story - the cuts away from one location to another and linked by the dialogue. Very nicely done. And the final line was just the perfect way to end this one, I thought.

Thanks for sharing; this was a delight and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Wow, Wow!

Marilyn, that was soooo beautifully written. You managed to say so much in the dialogue. Clark's descriptions of the way he felt about Lois, and Lois's examination of her own feelings for Clark were so clearly explored.

I really enjoyed this.

Thanks.

gerry

Kerth
Kerth
Yay!!!

She closed her eyes, took a deep, cleansing breath, and swallowed hard before continuing on a shaky breath.

“Clark, I’ve got this friend.”
wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Marilyn,

I have to say that I really enjoyed this fic. It was sweet and waffy and very satisfying for a quick read. Thank you for posting it.

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Lovely story. I really enjoy it.

Yet, I must confess that I was surprised when Clark began to think about Lex. I think this story describes splendidly Clark's feelings in the first season: after Nigtfall and Lexor Hotel. Then Ramona's advice to become her best friend would really make sense. What if you leave out sentences concerning Lex and (in Lois's thoughts) Clark's declaration of love?

And you don't really leave it here?! You simply can't! Rather than calling, I would also like to see them face to face.

Gabriele
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very Nice! thumbsup thumbsup

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Sweet and Beautiful. drool

MAF clap

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Features Writer
Features Writer
Marilyn,
wonderful
ditto others
merry

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Been afk all evening and only just getting back to this folder now - I read Part 2 and the first few comments earlier, but didn't have time to post then. frown

Marilyn, I adored Part 2 as well. smile I was wondering if Lois would call the radio station too, but then you took me completely by surprise with that lovely ending - I can just imagine Clark right at the end of his tether, his jaw dropping at Lois's words. eek Just as long as he doesn't think that she heard the show and is making fun of him! goofy

I've been thinking about Gabriele's point and have come to the conclusion that I agree with her, though. While Lois's ready acceptance that she loves Clark does suggest a closer relationship (and that would certainly fit in late S1 but before BatP), the 'be her friend' suggestion doesn't really fit in S2, even early S2 - it's so very obvious that they're best friends then. At least, that's my opinion - as always, YMMV! wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
YMMV? confused

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Merriwether
Merriwether
YMMV = Your mileage may vary

I loved this fic, Marilyn. There's a lovely lyrical quality to your writing. clap

I thought the ending was perfect. *happy, WAFFy sigh*

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Top Banana
Top Banana
Marilyn,

So nice. I loved this.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks, Rivka, for the explanation of the acronym. And thanks everyone else for the comments.

As for Gabriele and Wendy's comments about continuity, I suppose you would be correct if you were trying to place this story somewhere within the strict framework of the series. However, my modus operandi has generally been to think of my stories as being more vaguely situated within the whole of the relationship between Lois and Clark. Does that make sense? The way I look at this story, it would generally fit somewhere between the end of season one and "The Phoenix" in season two when Clark finally asked her out.

I also suppose that I could have used Claude instead of Lex, but Claude happened before Clark entered her life and Clark played no part in how that episode affected her life. With Lex, he (and Superman) did. We all know the "lead-lined robe" scene and the aftermath.

Anyway, as Wendy said, YMMV. This was my take on things.

As for continuing it, I don't think I will. What would I write? They'd talk, they'd kiss, they'd start dating and maybe then we'd jump over to the nfic side and they'd continue the relationship. blush The happy ending is implied and it was the thrill of the chase that intrigued me. As I said in the other feedback thread, the song inspired me. It's a duet sung back and forth between a male and female singer. There's a rather Cyrano de Bergerac-esque quality to it. Whereas Cyrano wrote letters to Roxane for Christian, these singers are telling each other about a "friend" who is lonely. And if you know someone, could we get them together? And as someone said in the feedback, it's also a bit like "Sleepless in Seattle" (though I'd never thought about that movie til it was mentined in the feedback). The supposed anonymity of the radio added an extra dash of romance. Again, that's my take on things. And, YMMV. wink

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Columnist
Columnist
Wow, Marilyn!

I'm the first one to admit that I don't usually read song-fic, generally 'cause I'm not a pop music fan and so never know the songs that are used. But you got me hooked on the story, despite the song, in part one. And now I just *know* you have a sequel in mind. Right?

Please tell me you do...

/me begs...

Melisma (WAFFy here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
While sequels are always welcome and I'd never not take more when given it by an author...for myself, with this one, I rather liked the open ended way that it was concluded. With the promise of a relationship to come. I like all the ends tied up and the details of that relationship brought to a conclusion too, now and then, but the occasional hint to come method always makes a refreshing change.

So I'd be happy either way. If there's a sequel or if there isn't.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sorry, Marilyn - I learned 'YMMV' from two or three Americans and thought it was common, but I suspect now that those who used it may have been of Jewish heritage, so maybe it's more cultural than national. I like the expression as it's a nice way of expressing the view that we may have different, but equally valid, opinions.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Merriwether
Merriwether
This was really wonderful, Marilyn. I enjoyed it completely. I, too, had mentally placed it as a mid-S1 story, mainly because I had expected that Lois would have instantly recognized his voice on the radio had it been set much later, but I accept your explanation of what you were trying to do with the story, keeping the timeline vague.

I definitely agree with you that no sequel is necessary, though. While I'm sure I would enjoy spending more time with these two, were you to eventually come up with an idea you wanted to pursue, I don't believe this story demands one in the least. You covered exactly what you set out to, and ended with that promise of them getting together. The story was in the journey, not the aftermath -- we know what will happen next.

I think sequel requests have become a knee-jerk reaction in FoLCdom, often born out of an enjoyment for the story universe rather than because the reader found something lacking in the original story. And while I enjoyed this universe, I definitely don't think the story was lacking anything.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Kathy

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard