#29662 05/04/06 11:54 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
WARNING: This thread will contain spoilers for the fanfic stories that are currently only available on the Fundraiser DVD ! We're still accepting donations, so it's not to late to get your own copy of the DVD. Find out how!

So you've gotten your DVD and started reading the stories like crazy? And you're just dying to gush to the authors of these stories!

That's what this thread is for!!!

You want to tell CC Aiken and Erin Klingler that their "The Kiss Off" left you in a waffy puddle of goo? Nan Smith's "Halloween" had you biting your fingernails?

Here's your chance to tell the authors what you thought of their stories! These FoLCs put in a lot of thought and effort to make the DVD what it is! Let's let them know how much it's appreciated! No need to start a new thread, simply post a reply here with the name of the author(s) and the story title. smile

And don't forget... if you want to give feedback for any of the trailers, posters, and videos, just hop over to this thread!

Thank you to all of our hard working volunteers, and to those of you who contributed to the fundraiser so we can keep the creative side of FoLCdom alive and kicking! clap

Sara
Fundraising Committee - FoLC Productions Division smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
...and if you want to tell me that "Breakfast at Callards" was the most brilliant ep adapt ever... you should probably have your head examined wink

Seriously, though -- we authors write (and vidders vid) for a lot of reasons but near the top of everyone's list is the pleasure we get from hearing that other people enjoyed our work. So whether you post here or send e-mail, do try to give feedback smile

I'm still anxiously awaiting my DVD. Maybe tomorrow...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, I'm kind of slowly making my way through all the wonderful offerings on the disk, and I think I'm going to comment on them sporadically. (And in random order, since I'm reading them fairly randomly.)

So...

Irene: Dream a Little Dream... loved this. So good to see you writing again! Very fun, and great job with all the stories in the dreams! Big Bad Lex after Lois's basket of goodies! laugh And, of course, continuing the theme through the last paragraph... very cool. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
K
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
K
I absolutely shouldn't be here. Nope. Got a Spanish final in... *checks clock*... 90 minutes, and I haven't finished cramming yet. laugh

But, I just had to (procrastinate) say one thing about one of the brilliant stories on the DVD. CC and Erin's The Kiss Off. Actually, it's just three paragraphs that I'm gonna quote, but they are the ones that made me fall instantly in love with this story! Ready? You have to brace yourself here, because these pack an emotional punch:

He knew all about her late night drives this past summer. Her sleepless nights. The miles she had traveled under the cover of darkness with no apparent destination; just a need to keep going.

He knew because Superman had been doing the same. In the wake of the Lane-Luthor wedding debacle, Superman's evening patrols had stretched late into the night, eventually extending until sunrise. For much of that time, he had followed Lois. Keeping an eye on her, staying out of sight, knowing exactly what was driving her.

And wishing with all his heart he knew how to be the one to help her stop. To make it ok for her to be still. But if he couldn't find those answers for himself, he didn't know how he could do that for her.
BRILLIANT!!!!!!!! Indelible comes to mind as well, because... well, that last paragraph has imprinted itself in my mind (and if I'm being corny, in my heart as well). I love them! In fact, these paragraphs inspired the entire first half of the trailer, and I can only hope I even came close to matching the brilliance of emotion wrapped up in these paragraphs!

I shall be back later to gush lots more about The Kiss Off! And the other stories, too! I haven't had a chance to read them all, but the ones that I have... well, there's more gushing to come. Especially for Paul - sheer brilliance (I'm starting to overuse this word, but I can't help it...)! And Tracey - waffiness galore! And Julie - how could you make me read first person point of view and love it?!

I'm stopping now... promise!

Sara (off to study more. Honest...)

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Pam, breakfast at Callard's was the most brilliant episode adapt ever. wink

No but seriously, I loved it. Yours was the first story I read, after I watched your trailer, I just had to read it.

I haven't had much time to read lately, but I can see I'm going to have to make time.

Nan, after watching Poussin's trailer for your story, I can't wait to read it. It sounds very intriguing. It will be next on my list.

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Blogger
Blogger
I'm wondering if anyone else is having trouble playing the Fundraiser DVD on a Mac.

I've tried the DVD on my iMac and my sister's iMac and the DVD won't mount on the desktop. After a few seconds the DVD is ejected. whinging

Usually, even when removable media has only windows files on it, it will still mount on the desktop. You usually can see the windows files on the Mac, even if you don't have a program that will open them.

They are older iMacs. I can read DVDs on them, but not write to a DVD. I wonder if that could be the problem. I will be getting a new iMac. I'm just waiting for Leopard to come out first because I hate installing new operating systems.

I was lucky I was able to borrow a Windows laptop for a few minutes and put the stories on a floppy and then transfer it to my iMac. I'll be able to read the stories now, but I would like to be able to look at the videos.

I hope I can play the Fundraiser DVD on the new iMac when I get it. Has anyone with an iMac been able to play the DVD without a problem?

Thanks.
Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Ann,

I don't have a MAC but several co-workers do. In the past when having problems with Audio or Video files their solution has been to copy the files to the hard drive. Often using a windows machine to copy files to other media than onto their MAC

DVD drives are not completely stock yet so it might be that the DVD is +R and your machine will only read -R or the other way around.

My DVD burner can read both +r and -R but can only burn -R.

Since you can't get them to mount at all you might take a USB key and go to a friend's house that has Windows and copy the files a few at a time to a USB key drive.

You could also burn the files to a few CD-roms.

Patrick

Framework4
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Thanks Paul smile

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ann -- I don't know about Macs, but on the PC, we were having trouble with the Autoplay script. It wasn't working right, so we had to manually circumvent it. Force the comp to show the files rather than just trying to play the disk. I'm not sure if there's a way to do that on a Mac, but give it a shot. (Probably something off the right-click menu for the drive, like it is on Windows.)

If you can spot index.html, that's what you want.

DVD vs DVD-R or DVD+R shouldn't make a difference. The disk should be readable on all. I have an old DVD/CD-RW combo drive, and it works fine (other than the thing with the autoplay).

You might also have better luck if you post a general query in the OT or How To sections.

Patrick: You can edit your own posts. Just click the little pencil and paper icon. If you want to fix typos and stuff, that's the best way to do it. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Better to Have Loved and ... Lost?
Tank & Wendy

Enjoyed the story.

Tank,

Please think about writing a version with your ending

> Whatever 'brain washing' the bad guys
> use on Lois is doomed to fail though
> because they don't have the one simple
> fact that Lois knows. That Clark is
> Superman. This inconsistency would be
> the clue that Lois would use to break
> their hold over her and allow her to
> win the day. Or something like that.

I'd love to read it. smile1

Framework4
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I just received my DVD in the mail yesterday. I am so excited! Because of work I haven't been able to check it out yet but I will! thumbsup

Merriwether
Merriwether
Ann, I didn't have any problems with the dvd on my iBook. I do have a combo drive, but it doesn't burn DVDs. I'd say see if you can find another computer (not iMac) with a DVD player in it, and see if it works there. Either the disk is bad *shrug* or the iMacs need newer DVD firmware updates.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Back to the original purpose of this thread, Paul, I just read Steel Shadows, and I loved it. Without giving away too many details, I have to say that it was one of the most original ideas in L&C fanfic that I've seen in quite a while. Nice work.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, thanks Nan! Coming from you, that means a lot! blush

I'm proud of the story, and I'm really glad to hear you liked it so much. smile

Paul, still behind on his reading, but really looking forward to getting a chance to properly enjoy the longer stories on the disk...

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, I'm back.

Just finished reading "Can't See The Wood..."

Aww, man. What can I say? I laughed. I laughed some more. I went "oooo!" several times. And a couple of "wow"s, too.

The gags. The subtle turns of phrase. The unbelievably witty metaphors. The moments of hilarity liberally sprinkled through what would otherwise be a classic S1 story fleshed out with rich, spot-on characterization (which can also be pretty funny).

And then the ending!! I won't spoil it, but that just capped the whole thing off so beautifully.

So, how do I properly convey all this (especially without quoting text and giving away spoilers)? How do I say how much I enjoyed it, how good it is, how much fun...?

In short:

It's a LabRat fic.

Paul

S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Paul, I second what Nan said. I really enjoyed your story. I could have read many, many more pages on this.
Sue

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Finished reading the stories last night. Kudos to all the writers, there wasn't a klinker in the bunch.

I very much enjoyed all the stories, and even the one with the subject matter that didn't appeal to me was very well written.

All the trailers and posters showed a lot of creativity and were fun. I'm not a big video guy since a large component of their success is the choice of song, and I may not particularly care for the song chosen. Those that I did check out were well-constructed and the clip choices were well thought out.

We have a very talented bunch of creators in folcdom and this DVD is a fine showcase of those talents. Well worth a donation many times the minimum.

Tank (who has to single out Hatman for special kudos... once again he proves that he has the most 'unique' mind in our little fandom)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
SueZ (I have to write it like that, or else I end up thinking of the canal): Thank you very much! Sorry there isn't more, but it's great to hear you enjoyed it so much!

Tank: Yeah, the DVD is just packed with goodness, isn't it?

And... wow. Thank you! I do strive for uniqueness, whether it's a good thing or not... (Those quotes of yours had me worried for a sec. wink ) Single me out for kudos anytime! blush

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just finished reading "Can't See The Wood..."
Thank you for the sweet feedback, Paul! blush I'm glad you had fun with this one. It was definitely a lot of fun to write. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I've read all of them.

I enjoyed all of them. All of them are well-written and imaginative, even the poem (which I didn't think I'd like at all, but I did). The posters are all great, too, and they match up well with the stories.

Haven't watched all the trailers and videos yet, but if they're two-thirds as good as the written pieces, they'll all be excellent. Can't wait till next year!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard