Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm just going to throw this out there.

What's next? That's really my burning question right now. What should I do?

I started writing on 11-1-18 and furiously wrote a story over the month of November (google nanowrimo to find out why) that is now about 54,000 words and only about 65-75% done (I'm totally guessing here, I know its at least half done though...)

I go back and forth between feeling stuck or not liking what I've written and making fantastic though completely out of order progress. I keep considering asking someone I know to read it, but I'm pretty sure its awesomeness will be lost on someone not 'in the know' with the show.

Which brought me here. But I'm overwhelmed by all this and now asking for guidance. I'm obviously surrounded by experienced fanfic authors (because I see your names in posts and its like I'm a kid meeting my favorite celebrities). I don't even know what I need and I'm hoping you guys can tell me.

I'll happily answer any questions you might have because I'm not sure what else I should say here. Thank you in advance for any advice you have to offer!

(P.S. I said 'relative newbie' because this is the first fic I've written by myself, but I devour all I can between other reading, and I edit for the archive)

Last edited by JellyS2; 12/07/18 12:20 AM. Reason: oops forgot something

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
L
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
L
If you're stuck I am willing to brainstorm with you if you want, it can help you come up with some idea's I know it works for me in one of my other fandoms. We help out each other ;-) you are free to pm me and I can look if I can help you in any way

* once a Lois and Clark fan, always a Lois and Clark fan *
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Hi. I'm not a relative newbie to the boards and I have some of the same questions. You've written more in this one story more than I have total.

I agree with LadyTpower. It sounds like you need someone to Beta read your story. You should have enough for someone to get the gist and make suggestions or ask questions to get you thinking about how to bridge the gaps. I'm not sure where the lines are between Beta reading, brainstorming and coauthoring but I'm sure there's overlap wherever it is.

Shallowford
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
JellyS2,

Congratulations on getting so far in writing.

First thing you need to ask yourself is this:

Does the story feel complete?

If you're interested in having someone comb over it then I'd suggest a Beta Reader. (This thread here has a list of BR's that have offered their services)

If you don't want someone to read through it then your next step would be to either post it or submit it to archives.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
N
Features Writer
Features Writer
N
Hi JellyS2,

Seconding what others have said- it sounds like you need a beta. It also sounds like you need someone to bounce ideas off, in which case I recommend the Hangouts chat. The ladies there are always willing to help with ideas. You can find it here.

Also, you mentioned making progress but out of order. My advice is: progress is progress. Don’t worry about whether it happens in a linear fashion or not. Write what you’ve got the inspiration for. I don’t think I’ve ever written a multiple chapter story in order.

Hope this helps!

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
You guys are great! Thanks for chatting with me about my story.

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
JellyS2, I'd also recommend that you go to the library (or, if you're flush with cash, a bookstore) and get some books on writing in general. Writing fanfic is fun, and it's great to share, but if you really want to write good stories, you need some technical skills. There are a lot of good resources out there for you. If you're really stuck on where to start, buy a writing magazine and check out the ads. I have an entire shelf with just writing references on it, and they've really helped me plan, transcribe, and edit my stories.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi JellyS2,

I'm going to piggyback on Terry's suggestion and recommend a free podcast: "Writing Excuses" is hosted by several published authors, the most prominent among them being Brandon Sanderson. Each episode, they tackle a different facet of writing.

Joy,
Lynn

JellyS2 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Excellent ideas! Thank you!

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard