Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#278428 01/11/18 02:53 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi everyone!

So we had a great thread with a lot of great Betas on it but unfortunately a lot of those that had signed up seemed to have moved on from the Fandom. I thought we could put together a more updated list where anyone willing to Beta Read could put their information here so any new/old authors looking for a BR can quickly find someone and request some Beta help.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
folc4evernaday
I'm always willing to help look over a fellow writers fanfic.

Main things I look for:
Characterization - Is what is happening something that makes sense for the character given the timeline the fanfic is set in.
Plot Holes - Is there something missing or not enough information being given to the reader to understand what's going on in the story?
Flow of the Story - Is there any part of the fanfic that feels incomplete or abrupt?
Lack of Emotion - Is there a lack of emotion, setting, etc... in the story?

If interested you can PM me here or email me at folc4evernaday@gmail.com.

I work in MS Word and Google Docs pretty regularly.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Lynn S. M.

I only have time to beta short fiction (say, three pages or less), and would like to avoid WHAMs.

The things I tend to catch are the low-level problems: spelling errors, syntax errors, and the like. Of course, if I spot other aspects of the story that I think can be improved upon, I will mention them, as well.

I prefer to use Word's Track Changes feature in conjunction with Word's commenting facility. I avoid Google as much as possible.

The best e-mail address to use to contact me would be lois_and_clark_fan_at_verizon.net. (Replace _at_ with the appropriate symbol. I am avoiding typing the actual address to make it less likely for it to be added to spammers' lists.)

Joy,
Lynn

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I'm willing to beta your story - but there are some caveats.

Please know that I will not be gentle if I see something wrong with the story or the way it's being presented. I will not be deliberately cruel, and I will present at least one alternative suggestion in such cases, but I will mention it. Plot holes will be pointed out and not just papered over. Really deep ones may require a great deal of work. Head-hopping will draw strong objections.

On the plus side, I don't mind supposed OOC if the actions are justified, such as being in an alt-world with radically different circumstances.

If I see bad grammar, I'm going to mention it. I know that the rules are much looser in dialogue than in narrative text, but I'll still mention it, if only so we both know it's been spotted.

I don't like Google docs. One of my betas on another story used them, and I didn't like it. The beta did, though, so I muddled through. My strong preference is the comment feature or Track Changes option in MS Word, but nothing in this paragraph this is a deal-breaker.

I'm willing to work on WHAMs if they're done well. I can also do comedy if that's the way you want to go. I can receive email at the address at the bottom of this entry.

Happy writing!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Kerth
Kerth
Mouserocks

I'd be happy to beta any style of fic out there (WHAM, WAFF, comedy, drama, etc.). Also willing to work with OOC or alt-verse characters. I'm usually able to get to shorter pieces quicker (for obvious reasons) but, time permitting, I'm also happy to work on long pieces.

Things I cover:
- Spelling mistakes
- Grammatical errors
- Continuity issues and plot holes (within the bounds of your fic premise of course)
- Character issues (there must be a reason for everything)
- Making cuts (again, must be a reason for EVERYTHING)

I will try to be gentle, but I will definitely provide honest feedback and input. If you're not looking for input, and just want it polished up for presentation, please be up front about that. I can do it (it's your baby), but I want what's best for your story, too. smile Also, if you're in the early stages and looking for a sounding board to bounce ideas off of, I'm here for that too.

I love working in Google Docs, as I find it makes the editing process much easier and communication quicker. If you don't, it's no problem. I can make it work. However, I don't work in MS Word (not to say I can't receive docs that way, just that I won't be able to follow "Track Changes" or other functions exclusive to them).

Hoping to see some new stories soon! If interested, feel free to PM me or send me an email (listed in my profile).

(was recently reminded of this thread and decided to hop on in)

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Hello!

I'm newer in the community, but I used to edit and review grants and articles, so I've got a little experience. Plus, I just read a lot.

I typically look for the following:
- Spelling and grammatical errors
- Continuity (I've probably seen the series 4 times, so I'm not perfect, but I'm happy to re-watch a couple of episodes specific to your story)
- Plot holes and clarity

I own a Mac, so I use the Pages program, but I'm also very happy working in Google Docs.
I don't have any story preferences of what kind of material I'd prefer to edit.
I'm happy to start with around 10 pages a week, but prefer not to work with tight deadlines.
Also happy to do a light review or more in depth review at your request.

I'm also looking for a beta or editor for my own work, so I'm happy to trade services.

Thanks!
Evie

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard