Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
LOL, LabRat and Ann! laugh

You sure know how to freak out people. Actually, you're both right on the ice cubes thing and the average kitchen chopping board.

wave

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hm, well I'll never use ice again.

Meanwhile, I share an apartment with 3 other females so it's not an issue. However, I'm not the most observant person most of the time, so if the toilet seat does get left up, there's a good chance something bad will happen when I walk into the bathroom. For the sake of my sanity, I like it when my male friends take the time to put the seat down.

JD :p

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by YConnell:
What bugs me is my Dad, who always used to put the seat down, until the last couple of years, when he seems to have decided that leaving it up is some kind of statement. I'm still trying to work out whether or not this is related to his drift from the left to the right, politically speaking. laugh

Yvonne
LOL! I'm not sure if his drift to the right is responsible for his leaving the toilet seat up, but I'm one of the two men in this poll who leaves the toilet seat down, despite being a right-winger. I find it's a matter of common courtesy. I believe in personal responsiblity, so it's not the guy's fault if someone ends up falling and getting wet, but I don't see why men can't be courteous. In fact I put it down as a matter of habit and don't even think about it even if it's a toilet where I am pretty much the only user.

As a matter of practicality, men sometimes do have to sit on the toilet.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I'd always thought that this was a classic 'much ado about nothing' situation. Living alone I don't have to worry and the toilet seat is pretty much left which every way it was used last.

If I'm at someone else's place I will usually leave the seat the way I found it, however that was.

Tank (who is generally more concerned about the 'strength' of the toilet seat rather than if it's up or down)

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Well, I don't share a bathroom, so it's not an issue for me. But I think it should be put back down. Because, presuming there an equal number of males and females using the toilet and that they have equal bathroom needs (a big assumption, I know), the toilet seat will need to be down more often than up.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I admit that it is highly unfair of me, but I voted that it's the man's job/responsibility to put the seat down after using it. There is absolutely nothing worse than trudging into the bathroom at 3 a.m., eyes still shut, only to find icy cold water where you expected a seat and air! And it's just not in my habit to check to see if the seat is down.

But I do admit that this isn't necessarily a fair expectation on my part. Thankfully, my husband was raised with two sisters, so he's in the habit of putting the seat back down. So is my son. I think a big part of it, too, is that the bathroom looks much tidier with the lid closed. Nothing gives me wiggins more than when I enter a public restroom (usually of the gas station variety) to see that the toilet seat has been left up. If at all possible, I try to back out of the room without touching anything and find another facility.

Now, as for the toilet paper...can anyone out there explain to me how my college-educated, fairly common-sensical and very capable husband cannot manage to actually put the new roll of toiler paper on the dispenser but rather leaves it sitting on the back of the toilet or floor or nearby with the empty paper tube left useless?

It's a mystery, I tell you.

wink
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Now, as for the toilet paper...can anyone out there explain to me how my college-educated, fairly common-sensical and very capable husband cannot manage to actually put the new roll of toiler paper on the dispenser but rather leaves it sitting on the back of the toilet or floor or nearby with the empty paper tube left useless?

Oh dear. I'm so guilty of this. But I can't tell you why this mystery occurs with me either. Fortunately, I share a bathroom with my best friend, but it's a wonder she hasn't yet thrown an empty cardboard tube at me.

Jen peep

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
goofy

~•~
Features Writer
Features Writer
Why do men have to lift it anyway? cant they aim?

i dont like touching the seat.. if men need to use it up, fine. but it is their responsibility to put it back.

touching it is disgusting, so why having the trouble to put it up and down? wouldnt it be easier to just train your aim a little better?

its like using a plate - if you eat on it, wash it.

MDL.

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by lynnm:

wink
Lynn
We should start a new poll about whether the toilet paper should be placed so that the sheets roll towards you or away from you. laugh

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Lane:
Are you sure you're willing to trust us? devil

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Features Writer
Features Writer
We should start a new poll about whether the toilet paper should be placed so that the sheets roll towards you or away from you.
Already done, James started one last December.
TP Poll

As to Lynn's question, I don't have the answer for that either. Laziness?

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Originally posted by Mad Dog Lane:
Erica, I read someplace that men need a target to hit. If they have someting obvious to aim at, they will hit it. To test this theory, a scientist fastened a plastic little insect-thing or something on an appropriate place inside the toilet bowl. Guess what, people? Suddenly the men could aim! No lifting of the toilet seat was necessary! No spilling! So, all you women with a not-so-toilet-trained husband out there. Buying a small plastic fly with a sort of fastening mechanism for your toilet bowl may be a better idea than nagging your husband about proper bathroom etiquette!

Ann

Merriwether
Merriwether
*snicker* That's why we kept Cheerios in the bathroom while potty training my little brother. Toss them into the bowl, and tell him to aim. It worked fairly well.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Lol, Karen, I think I'd be afraid to do that unless I knew he hated Cheerios wink Maybe something less edible <g>

Merriwether
Merriwether
I agree with those who close the whole thing for sanitary reasons. My toothbrush also resides inside the cabinet for similar reasons.

*shudders delicately*

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Well, we have five cats. Leaving the seat up is a sure-fire way to have a dripping wet, pissed off cat racing around the house (they don't always look where they leap) so my husband and son automatically close all seats and lids when they are done.

Seems simple to me!

laugh

Femme fatale with a hopelessly romantic heart!
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm with Paul: this whole seat up-or-down business has always struck me as being utterly ridiculous. Mind you, it's not something I have much of a choice about, as modern toilet and seat design seems to be such that the seat won't stay up even if one wanted it to! Half the time, the lid won't stay up either, unless you kick it the right way (and, unless you get an electrically heated one, a seat lid is cold when it hits you in the small of the back!).

Why do men have to lift it anyway? Can't they aim?
It's not quite that simple. We can aim, but a lot of anatomical considerations which I shall not detail here can mean that where we aim is not where the flow goes (anything up to 30-40 degrees "off-boresight", so to speak); and sometimes even aiming is not easy, requiring three-dimensional contortions that, AFAIK, women would never need to do. So it makes sense for us to use the significantly bigger "target" of the bowl with the seat up. There are other, minor considerations, but discussing them would make this thread even more scatological than it already is.

Phil

Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox at times...
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
scatological
I had no idea this "elegant" Greek word had passed on to the English vocabulary. /me is laughing hysterically. For some reason, it looks really funny to me.

Off to your scheduled thread...
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Let me briefly revisit my random variables class....

Define an (admittedly minor) element of work to be changing the position of the toilet seat. Assume a random normal distribution of bathroom habits -- men and women visit the bathroom with equal regularity and have either reason for visiting with equal frequency. We neglect vomiting as a rare occurrence outside of pregnancy.

Under the assumption that the seat should always be left down, there are no elements of work involved in a woman going to the bathroom -- it starts down, ends down, doesn't move. There is an expected one element of work done each time a man goes to the bathroom -- either zero or two, depending on where he needs it. The average expected work per person per visit to the bathroom is one-half unit.

If the seat is left where it was last used, then moved to where it is needed, things become a little more complicated. Assuming equal distribution again, there is a 75% chance that the seat was already down. A woman would never need to move it, a man might need to move it. In the remaining 25% of the time, a woman would always need to move it, a man might need to move it. Average expected work per person per visit is three-eights unit.

Moving the seat where you need it requires 25% less overall work.

Consider gender allocation: If the seat is always down, the man's expected work per bathroom visit is one; the woman's expected work is zero. If the seat is moved as needed, the woman's expected work is one-quarter; the man's is one-half. Guys are basically asking women to take a share of the effort. wink

Of course, the assumption of all probabilities being equal is not necessarily accurate. If the number of males and females in the house is not equal, if one (or more) of the women are pregnant, if people in the house have markedly different bladder capacities, etc. then adjust probabilities accordingly.

Less tongue-in-cheek, I can understand wanting the lid down for aesthetic, pet-drinking, or accidental-object-dropping reasons. Lid down implies seat down. Too, that way work is shared -- everyone has to lift the lid (and possibly seat) and put it back down. Work per person per visit is always two. Higher work for the aesthetic you want, but equality is achieved.

Pets and people falling in? Really an issue of what you're used to. My cats never had an issue of falling in, and actually they didn't drink from the toilet as long as their water bowl was full. But if you don't care about the lid then trying to specify a seat position just seems pointless to me.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
ok, I was raised in a mostly female household, so I was trained at an early age to do things the 'right way'. (A habit that was mostly untrained out of me during the 5 years I lived on my own. wink Now that I am the only male in a five person household, the original training has reasserted itself.)

However, saying that, I have to agree with Paul on on thing, it is ridiculous to imagine someone actually not checking to see if the toilet seat is up or not. Everyone should at least check if the lid is up or not! Even in darkness, anyone should be able to tell the difference between the lid and the seat!

On the other hand, we have three girls. And yes, if the lid, at least, is not down, things DO get dropped in!

My final analysis is that whether male or female, one should return the various parts of the toilet to the original condition in which it was found. This should satisfy any gender combination or lack there of. And, if you have children, train them to do the same...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard