Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hazel Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
CC, it looks like two separate plotlines are heading towards each other faster than a speeding bullet. Isn't it fun? goofy
“What would be scary about aliens landing on earth?” asked Silas, clearly intrigued.
I loved this line, because it exemplifies what you've been so good at: giving us a completely different culture and worldview. Of course people growing up venerating LnC wouldn't think there's something bad about aliens!
“Tempus is so bent on destroying Utopia. This has been his sole purpose. Destroying the Lane-Kent legacy, and now he’s come so close....”

“And in a way, he will have succeeded,” Elise ventured. “Because Utopia’s citizens will know a peaceful society doesn’t just happen. It’s a façade. We are reaping the benefits of the hard work of others."
Good for Elise, because this has been troubling me about your depiction of Utopia from day one. A society that needs to be taken care of, that needs to be shielded from the Not Nice (tm) things in reality, isn't Utopia; it's little children, being babysat by their betters.
“I’m standing on the sidewalk talking to my eighth great-grandfather who is the real Superman, on my way to the bakery to find out if it’s a cover for some sort of time-travel protection agency working against the comic book character Tempus. Oh, and for about a day and half, I had a huge crush on my dead great-grandmother. So... what you just said... makes the exact same amount of sense as anything else.”
Silas is just a darn cute guy. laugh
“Wheee!” she said before she could stop herself. “I mean, shame on you, dear, you’re breaking the law.”
And Madge is soooo cool! cool

Can't wait to read the next part, CC! laugh

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hmmm.... you've got me going HMMMMM, CC

Are there two separate bakery time zones in place here?

NAHHHHHHHH

I'll keep my thoughts to myself until the next post!

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay! It's back! laugh ) Hank notices that he can speed, and he worriedly points this fact out as a Bad Omen. Utopia is starting to come unravelled. With the new timeline, the anti-speeding technology was never put into effect. Very cool. Very subtle. I love the idea. But... If the timeline changed so that the speeding thing was never put into effect, how come Hank is able to remember that it existed? Shouldn't his memory of what happened change along with the reality of it not having happened? Cursed time paradoxes...

Or does Hank get special dispensation because he's a time traveller and thus somewhat disassociated from the timestream? If that's the case, though, it still doesn't quite explain Silas's confusion about the lock on the bakery (unless it actually is normally locked for some reason).

Anyway, that's just two tiny little things amongst a sea of goodness. (I told you I'm loving this story, right?)

Sorry I'm not going into more detail about the good things, but it's kind of hard to pick out the especially good bits from amongst the whole series of really good bits. So, for now, I'm just going to have to leave it at this:

Thanks again for brightening my day. We're only halfway through the year, but I think I can safely say that you can expect a "Best Overall" nom from me when the time comes.

Paul

P.S. Please don't tell McDonald's how close I came to abusing their trademarked slogan. I didn't mean it. Really...

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Quote:
“True,” she answered. “But the world survives. And in surviving is a little wiser.”
<snip>
Elise was quiet now, watching him. Waiting for him to tell her more, or to let her idea take root, he didn't know which. &#8220;So, Utopia finds out and... grows up?&#8221;

&#8221;Yes.&#8221;
Endquote

Perfect laugh

Quote:
&#8220;And in a way, he will have succeeded,&#8221; Elise ventured. &#8220;Because Utopia's citizens will know a peaceful society doesn't just happen. It's a façade. We are reaping the benefits of the hard work of others.
Endquote

Very good clap

Quote:
You, Madge, Andrus--&#8221;

&#8220;Not Andrus!&#8221; he said a bit too forcefully.

She raised an eyebrow at that. &#8220;There's a story there.&#8221;

&#8220;A novel,&#8221; he said dryly. &#8220;A tragedy. Epic length.&#8221;
Endquote

AWESOME! rotflol

We're on our way to a new, improved Utopia! Thank you so much, CC, for not unraveling all of your wonderful work. I LOVE where this is going! laugh

Oh, and Elise's idea of offering Tempus notoriety/fame: absolutely pure genius. laugh

I love it all. Looking forward eagerly to the rest. Thanks again for writing & sharing with us.

/me shakes head in awe

Top Banana
Top Banana
Phenominal! So worth the wait and thanks for making sure that I'm back from vacation! It is my bday fic after all! wink

We are on a collison course and I so can't wait to see which events unfold first or if they just smash into each other head on. I would love to see a scene where Elise and/or Madge meat L&C!

Oh CC!! SOOOOOO happy you're back! smile1

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto everything above to infinity and beyond...

possible solutions to Paul's nitpicks..

Maybe organic memory takes longer to rewrite?(lame, I know)

As for the not being tied in the first place, maybe there is a Dangling of the Jaws of death room in the museam???

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
From Paul:
First:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&#8220;She's right. That's the first rule. The second is- don't actually get yourself tied to the chair, but Lois has a little trouble with that one.&#8221;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I have to say I love this line. One amongst many that I loved. The only thing is... L&C have only known each other for about a week (give or take a few hundred years...). Clark has seen her tied to something which is about to explode... precisely once.

The very fact that she HAS that rule reveals a predeliction for getting tied to the chair in the first place.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
“Maybe ‘bakery,’” said Clark, pronouncing the word very carefully, “means something completely different now. Words change. They add new ones to the dictionary all the time. I remember when they added ‘ain’t.’ My mom hated that, said it was a sign of-”

“They always credit you with the babble,” commented Silas, looking in Lois’s direction. “That’s sort of unfair, isn’t it?”
LOL. Clark is so weird sometimes. I love it.

“Tempus isn’t easy to negotiate with, honey. Believe me, if Madge can’t coax the information from him, no one can.” He rolled over and tried to take her back into his arms, but she was sitting up, moving away.
dance He told her!

“I’m standing on the sidewalk talking to my eighth great-grandfather who is the real Superman, on my way to the bakery to find out if it’s a cover for some sort of time-travel protection agency working against the comic book character Tempus. Oh, and for about a day and half, I had a huge crush on my dead great-grandmother.
lol Poor Silas.

And good old Madge. She and I would definitely get along well.

God, you're killing me! I can't wait for them to charge inside the bakery and start hammering questions at people. But uneasy silences and being scared, eh. Lois, can't you just take your usual option of kill first and ask questions later? And then I tell myself, "C'mon, Jen, they're trying to save the world and themselves here. Wouldn't you be scared?" I guess. The future hottest team in town still has some learning to do, grasshoppers.

wink
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
Yay, you're back and posting! Great!

Like others have said, I loved this line:

“Hang on there, Junior.” Lois, stepped towards him and patted him on the arm. “First rule, no panicking until you’re actually tied to the chair and the fuse is lit.”
Very Lois, LOL. I also enjoyed Clark's response to it, and it didn't raise any eyebrows for me even though they've only known each other a couple weeks. Clark surely has heard all about Lois's reputation for getting herself into trouble; this defined her character even before Superman showed up. And yes, they've both been going through the Museum, or at least parts of it, so I didn't have a problem with Clark teasing her about this character trait. After all, that's what you do when you tease -- you pick up on something, even if it's minor, and act like it's a big deal. So either way, I thought it was cute. smile

I *loved* the fact that the timeline is shifting slowly, in bits and pieces. As for whether the current residents of Utopia should recognize the changes, though, I chalk that up to there being no real answer to time-travel paradoxes and in a light, funny story like this, it doesn't raise any flags for me. And hey, we already know that Silas, Hank and Madge are all special. <g>

I was really hoping that Hank and Madge would show up at the bakery just as L&C&S were grilling the elders about Tempus, LOL, but I also love that Hank is nearly giddy with the newfound freedom of going against the "rules" and is thinking they might just be able to do what needs to be done without asking first. (What is it they say? It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission? LOL.) And speeding -- whee! So much fun, LOL!

(And I'm still trying to figure out how the Peacekeepers have cloaked their offices in the bakery from Super-vision. It makes sense if they are trying to conceal their existence from the family, since there is still the occasional Lane-Kent with powers, but I have no idea how they may have accomplished it!)

Can't wait till Saturday, CC!

Kathy (who also laughed at the bear claw line ... great stuff all the way around smile )

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
“Kick down their doors and-”

“-demand a couple of bear claws and to be taken to their leader?” Clark finished with a grin, watching Lois striding purposely down the sidewalk, several yards ahead of them. “She might.”
thumbsup

TEEEEEEEJ

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh fun part. I like Silas! More soon. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Merriwether
Merriwether
*stops twitching* Phew! That was getting tiring.

Marge is no longer my favorite character. She has been displaced by Elise. laugh

And since we're nearing the end (*sniffle*), I won't even complain about the length of the section. goofy

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
This is Utopia?

Tank (who thinks that Lois may just ditch Clark once they make it back just to make sure that this Utopia doesn't come into being)

Kerth
Kerth
Yay!!! smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've just realised why I love Madge so much. She's like a buttoned-down amalgamation of Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Og from Terry's Pratchett's Discworld. goofy

All commonsense and decorum on top with an underedge of rebellious teenager about her. LOL.

I'm going to be surprised if some of these original characters of yours don't turn up heavily in the Kerth noms next year, CC. clap They're all like old friends already. I'm going to miss them when this one is done. Would it be terribly bad form to demand The Further Adventures of Madge and Her Peacekeepers, before you've even finished the first lot? laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, Tank. This is Utopia. It doesn't always make sense or seem perfect (to me, anyway), but it's still the best, most logical version of Utopia that I've ever seen. ("That's wonderful, Mr. Kirk, but if there's no money at all and everyone does the jobs they feel like doing, then how can you have businesses which are open with any kind of reliability? For that matter, how do you get anyone to do the scutwork? It's not like you have robots to do it. Come to that...") It's also a very lighthearted version which means you don't have to take it completely seriously.

There's no crime, no pollution, no one left homeless or uncared-for, and the people are happy. It also fits the in-canon descriptions of Utopia, both Wells's sappy idealism and Tempus's utter boredom.

Looks like L&C's visit is going to improve matters, though. Whatever happens to them when they go back "home," they'll have had an impact on the future. Maybe Utopia has become too complacent and such, but L&C's presence (not to mention their absence elsewhen) is definitely stirring things up.

So, yeah. It's not a pefect representation (as noted above, I do have my nits to pick), but I don't know that one's possible. One of the things that struck me after reading Part One was how ambitious it is of CC to even try writing a story with Utopia as the setting (few have dared, and with good reason), and I, for one, have been very impressed with how she's managed to pull it off.

Paul, who, for some reason, is stuck on the idea that, in following with the Dilbert Principle, Andrus should be promoted to a nice cushy desk job with a title along the lines of "Captain, Ministry of Idealized Sociology, Helper And Protector." (Captain MISHAP for short.)

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved Clark and Silas's conversation whilst watching a disappearing Lois. Kind of like the best father and son dialogue you could imagine combined with the best buddy dialogue you could imagine. smile

Can't wait to see the faces on the bakery staff when Lois and Clark walk in. Oh, and Kathy, I'm sure we were told that the headquarters was shielded by lead - something they did way back when as a means of hiding it from any family members with powers.

Elise is a hero, but I still love Madge. Silas is cute, and, well, I like Hank, too. I don't think there's anyone I don't like, come to think of it!

But my most favourite bit was when Lois held out her hand for Clark. smile The poor guy has only just become Superman, yet Silas keeps expecting him to behave like he's been doing the job for years. Loved that Clark didn't want to spoil Silas's cherished images, and loved even more that Lois recognised all of this and automatically gave Clark the support he needed. My heart melted. smile

Yvonne

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
CC

This continues to be absolutely brilliant. smile1

Tricia cool

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Actually,Paul, I completely agree with your take on this Utopia. I think CC has done an exceptional job of decribing a society that on the surface seems 'perfect' and fits very nicely with the clues that were given in the series.

I also know that any society that would appear Utopian to a ninteeth century fellow like Wells would absolutely horrify Lois.

Marge and her crew may be fun and interesting but I'm really looking forward to the inevitible fallout. Once Lois and Clark manage to escape this Utopian institution how is Lois' knowledge of her involvement in bringing such a place into being going to affect her relationship with Clark.

Lois, especially at this point in her life, is not someone who likes to be told what to do. She can become contrary just to be contrary. It might not matter what she has begun to feel for the hapless, but cute, superhero. She might just distance herself from Clark to save the future from itself.

Tank (who thinks that it would be funny if Lois becomes a champion of Tempus' cause)

Top Banana
Top Banana
I know I've mentioned the love, haven't I? Because you guys are just so, so, so wonderful. Your comments and issues raised are so, so... well... wonderful!! And this posting thing is down right addictive; I'll almost be sorry when we're done! sloppy Thank you for being here. Sit back, because this will be a really long reply!

I went back and fished this out, AnKs's comment from part 5. It registered with me then, and is so smart and really relevant to the discussion on this part:

One question keeps coming though, Was the Metropolis they left a better place or is *this utopia* a better place
Love that. And this:

This is Utopia?
And, while we're on the subject, all of these:

because this has been troubling me about your depiction of Utopia from day one. A society that needs to be taken care of, that needs to be shielded from the Not Nice (tm) things in reality, isn't Utopia; it's little children, being babysat by their betters.
That's wonderful, Mr. Kirk, but if there's no money at all and everyone does the jobs they feel like doing, then how can you have businesses which are open with any kind of reliability? For that matter, how do you get anyone to do the scutwork? It's not like you have robots to do it. Come to that...
I don't want to say too much about any of this. Just... Yes! Exactly! Dead on! (At this point I'm no longer worrying about showing my POV since it's pretty much out there...)

Ok. Our Mind Reading Department features three readers. This first comment had one BR emailing me, demanding to know what sort of black magic Chris was using to gain access to my HD.

Are there two separate bakery time zones in place here?

NAHHHHHHHH
Heh. And gads...

And I'm still trying to figure out how the Peacekeepers have cloaked their offices in the bakery from Super-vision. It makes sense if they are trying to conceal their existence from the family, since there is still the occasional Lane-Kent with powers, but I have no idea how they may have accomplished it!
Yvonne answered this correctly, KathyB. Lead-lining, but you are so dead on is asking about the cloaking, since technology would have advanced over the years... And that's all I'm saying.

who thinks that it would be funny if Lois becomes a champion of Tempus' cause
I have no comment on this comment. I just really like it. And... ok... this was one of the main ideas that started me writing. Who would hate Utopia as much as Tempus...? Hmmmmm

Now, the Mind-Boggling Part of our comments. Hats off to Hatman for this:

Hank notices that he can speed, and he worriedly points this fact out as a Bad Omen. Utopia is starting to come unravelled. With the new timeline, the anti-speeding technology was never put into effect. Very cool. Very subtle. I love the idea. But... If the timeline changed so that the speeding thing was never put into effect, how come Hank is able to remember that it existed? Shouldn't his memory of what happened change along with the reality of it not having happened? Cursed time paradoxes...
Cursed time paradoxes, indeed! I have thought myself so deeply in circles on this whole thing, often to the point of losing the plot altogether. One afternoon I drove ten miles past the turn off to my daughter's soccer field- making her late for her game- because I was completely absorbed with working out the details on this. Poor Margie. That's sort of a weird excuse to give your coach. But I digress...

Anyway, James said it way better and in far fewer words, and I was already indebted to him for the high school locker, but now even more so:

Maybe organic memory takes longer to rewrite?
That's what I'm shooting for. That it will start with technology, on the fringes. The first ripple in the pond. And it will spread from there. Also, you'll notice as we go, I took a everything *and* the kitchen sink approach to what the demise of Utopia might look like. Tossed out every theory I could think of! And I should thank Tank and Labrat here for fielding each and every theory so neatly and without complaint.

Nearly done. I know this is far too chatty!

The line with Lois being tied to a chair. Clark seeming to have a knowledge of her he might not have in their short acquaintance.

As for the not being tied in the first place, maybe there is a Dangling of the Jaws of death room

The very fact that she HAS that rule reveals a predeliction for getting tied to the chair in the first place.
Love both of these! I do think Clark would have been fairly familiar with Lois Lane's reputation, been filled in by co-workers in the short time he was there. So, that was one angle I was working off. Also, love the 'Jaws of death' room. And, really, can I prattle on some more? (Skip ahead if I'm getting on your nerves...)

I didn't come right out and say so, but I think it's an Interactive Booth. Like you find at Epcot Center in Disney World. You can sit in a simulator that places you in famous Lois Lane scrapes and you do your best to escape, the one who can go longest without yelling 'Help Superman!' wins a prize.

(I couldn't work that into the narrative without dragging things down, just like I'm doing with these comments.)

Also, I think there's an x-ray vision booth, too. Stand inside and watch the walls dissolve just like you're Superman!

Ok. Sorry. All done.

Last thing, I swear...

Would it be terribly bad form to demand The Further Adventures of Madge and Her Peacekeepers, before you've even finished the first lot?
Oh, Lab. Don't encourage me. You have no idea...

If you made it to the end of these comments, give yourself an extra sloppy from me. Thank you for indulging me. Part 14 is on its way!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard