Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I have been expanding my reading horizons lately and I realize that I don't know a lot of the authors. I thought it may be nice for us to have a little author discussion and get to know each other better.

You game? If so, answer the following questions. Bonus points for exposition. wink

1. What shall we call you?
2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic?
3. Have you ever written fic for other shows?
4. Current stories you're working on?
5. Your first fic?
6. Piece of work you're proudest of?
7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing?
8. Your greatest strengths as an author?
9. Your biggest weaknesses?
10. Preferred genre(s) to write?
11. Genre(s) you won't write?
12. What makes a fic good for you?
13. What ruins a fic for you?
14. Author you wish you could trade places with?
15. The best fic you've read recently?

Here are my answers:

1. What shall we call you? Jenn or Pinky

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? Since Spring 2007.

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? General Hospital, back in the late 1990s.

4. Current stories you're working on? Rules of Attraction, a nfic on this board, a yet-to-be-named Valentine's Day nfic, and This Ain't a Love Song, a George and Lynn story on Zoom's boards.

5. Your first fic? Inside Out, a nfic on this board.

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? This Ain't a Love Song. It's been more challenging than anything else I have ever written.

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Rules of Attraction. I started it right after I finished Inside Out and I think I had fic fatigue. I am going to finish it; I just need a break before I launch myself into another long L&C story.

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? I have good grammar, I have been told I write sex well (apparently, I put someone into labor with one of my nfic scenes, ha!) and I take my time writing. I don't believe in slapping up story after story just to raise my post count or make myself eligible in every Kerth category.

9. Your biggest weaknesses? A-plots. I am terrible at science and a lot of L&C's A-plots revolved around that. I am in awe of those that can weave a great A-Plot into a story. Also, I take my time writing, i.e., I blow my self-imposed deadlines in my quest to make things perfect.

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? Nfic, Season 4.

11. Genre(s) you won't write? Crossovers, stories that are too heavy on A-Plot.

12. What makes a fic good for you? A solid A-Plot interwoven with a solid B-Plot, understanding of the characters and respect for the show's canon, romance (even if it's just a hint of unresolved sexual tension).

13. What ruins a fic for you? No exposition, bad grammar (readability), highly implausible storylines.

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Sue. No one writes sexual chemistry like her.

15. The best fic you've read recently? When Lovers Become More by Kathy B. I really enjoyed it, and its prequel, When Friends Become Lovers, by Kathy and Demi.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
1. What shall we call you? Trinity is fine

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? Only about 8 months

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? I wrote a couple for Buffy (even won an award once, if I do recall) back in the day and I used to read Roswell fanfic like it was my last drink of water.

4. Current stories you're working on? "Fairytale" that probably won't ever get finished and I've been picking at a currently untitled Mardi Gras fic for months that probably won't ever get finished either. I need some inspiration, people. Help a sister out. smile

5. Your first fic? "The Hardest Goodbye", an nfic.

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? "Under the Desk", a small nfic vignette.

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? "Fairytale." It needs some serious reworking if I ever do decide to finish it.

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? I honestly don't know. You tell me. :p Maybe my greatest strength is that I know when enough is enough.

9. Your biggest weaknesses? I have a psychotic phobia about using a BR or having anyone read my stories before they're posted which is probably my biggest downfall. I could probably benefit a lot from someone taking a look before I post. I'm trying to get over it.

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? Nfic.

11. Genre(s) you won't write? Crossovers, deathfic.

12. What makes a fic good for you? I love it when a story holds my interest so much that I stay up 4 hours later than I should have because I just can't get enough.

13. What ruins a fic for you? Something that looks like it was just thrown together and reading badly written sex scenes.

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? I wish I had a finger's worth of the talent Jenn and Sue have.

15. The best fic you've read recently? I loved "A Conscious Choice" by Wendy and "Snowbound" by Sue. And "This Ain't A Love Song", by Jenn is hands down, definitely the best fic I've read so far.

Thanks to Cat for my rockin' avatar!
++++
(About Lois & Clark)
Perry: Son, you just hit the bulls eye. It's like we're supporting characters in some TV show and it's only about them.
Jimmy: Yeah! It's like all we do is advance their plots.
Perry: To tell you the truth, I'm sick of it.
Jimmy: Man, me too!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Don't have the energy to answer the questions, and I don't really consider myself an author anymore. Thought I'd share this link, though:

http://www.nfanfic.net/showcase/

And hey, there's even one with me! wink

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
1. What shall we call you? Mona

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? Since last August.

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? I'll admit it, I have written a couple He-Man fan fic, have one saved somewhere in the recesses of my travel drive that probably 10 years ago now I wanted to complete. laugh and the start of a Strong Medicine story.

4. Current stories you're working on? I'm co-writing two stories, one of which will be an n-fic. Despite my dislike of crossovers, I sgined myself up for that challenge so one day I'll try to put an idea I have for it into words.

5. Your first fic? To Clark, (And Lois), With Love

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? The above, simply because it was my first. smile And I was so happy you liked it Jenn.

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Parts of my n fic Dressed for Chef-Cess seemed to take forever to come out the way I envisioned.

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Possibly the same as my biggest weakness, while I have a gift and facility for writing and grammar, I have a tendency to get so into the zone of a story, especially a Clark part, wink that I make foolish mistakes. (Leave out word and commas)

9. Your biggest weaknesses? Getting started and commas.

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? N-Fic, Waffy, and things I wished we (folcs) had gotten to see.

11. Genre(s) you won't write? Death fic, alt time/world, crossover save possibly my next story, violence, lot of A plot, and storylines I can't imagine happening such as all of the stupid clone Arc that wasted our precious time and energy!

12. What makes a fic good for you? If while reading it,I get so entranced that I can picture each scene clearly and wish so much that it were live. A smile on my face at the end and desire for more!

13. What ruins a fic for you? Villains galore and a story that seems haphazard.

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Caroline K and Wendy

15. The best fic you've read recently? I re-read last night Erin's Costume Controversy. I "remembered" reading it back when we were doing the guess the author challenge but never responded-she was a my GE for Arctic and we got to talking about that story of ours which I enjoyed very much for the second time.

Top Banana
Top Banana
The only sad thing I know of about threads like this is that no one follows up on anyone else's answers--they just read them all, then post their own answers to the questions, possibly never to look at the thread again. Or at least, that's what I've seen happen (and I admit I'm guilty of it too).

Darcy, DSDragon, DS, D, "hey, you," "uhm, hi!" or any combination of the above (you might even get away with calling me "mud"). I've been thinking about adding "D. Ann" to the list (Ann is my middle name), but I think there are enough in the list already, don't you?

Since February 2006, I think. I'm too lazy to check the archive right now for the date I submitted my first story.

. . . Had to check anyway, to make sure I got the title of my first L&C fic right for question #5 (how sad is it that I can't remember a title I made up?). It was indeed February 2006.

Yup, Star Trek (although, that was more movie-based than show-based), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel: The Series.

I also have notes for fic(s) in the Phil of the Future fandom which may or may not turn into an actual story or stories, and I have written some Harry Potter fanfiction as well.

Eventually, I may write some M*A*S*H fanfic, but have not really gotten around to coming up with any plot ideas for that yet.

"The Pitfalls and Pleasantries of Kryptonian Multiplication," and if having notes for a currently-not-at-all-written story counts, then I have two others I'm "working on" as well.

One is a response to framework4's "Luthor Gives Clark the Edge" challenge from way back--I actually decided to respond to that challenge before I started PPKM, but haven't gotten around to actually writing it yet.

The other will (hopefully) turn out to be a longer one-shot based on a comment which Zoar3 made in a different thread somewhere else on the boards. And that's all I'm going to say about that one.

5. Your first fic?

Ever? "Eternity: It's a Long Story," for Star Trek. For L&C? "The Eyes Unfettered."

PPKM, if I ever finish it. It'll be the longest story I've ever written (either original, or for any fandom) by myself.

There's a Harry Potter fanfic based on another author's AU which I abandoned after the prologue and first chapter. I just couldn't make myself crack down and write it, no matter how interested I was in telling the story itself (which I really was).

I've been told I write at graduate level, even though I'm one of those people who only takes a class or two now and then at the local community college. So, I guess I'd say grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. As well as a (relatively new--compared to the length of time I've been writing) knowledge of the "logical order" in which ideas should flow.

Of course, that is all predicated on having a group of ideas to put together in the first place. :p

Middles. And to a lesser extent, ends. I do great with the beginnings of longer stories, and if I think about it, I can usually articulate--generally--where I want a story to end up. It's the getting from point A to point B that annoys me and makes me wish that the story would write itself.

Anything that I have an idea for, which I haven't seen reiterated very often in fics I've read. I usually end up writing cutesy vignettes though, and it kind of annoys me that I have trouble with conflict, but I also like the cutesy vignettes right after I've finished them--after all, even a cutesy vignette is a finished story, and finishing a story is an accomplishment I'll applaud anyone for.

Even though I enjoy reading it, I won't write nfic. I have various reasons, only the last of which is that I'm a 24-year-old virgin. I couldn't begin to articulate the other, larger reasons, because they're not all clear in my head.

Proper grammar, knowing how to spell the characters' names and the names of canonical settings correctly, good characterization, and good overall writing style are important. But the one thing that absolutely makes a fic awesome for me is if the author can make me feel the characters' emotions. If I'm sitting at my desk at work, trying to hide the fact that i'm bawling my eyes out, or bustin' a gut trying to stifle a chuckle, then that is one awesome fic I'm reading.

Trite writing like that thread where we showed off our beta style, most especially. To a lesser extent (depending on severity), bad grammar, bad spelling, bad punctuation, etc. can also be deal-breakers, but usually only if there are so many that I'm constantly editing in my head as I read.

Do I have to choose just one? 'Cause I have to say, I wouldn't be able to choose between my top five:

• CC Aiken
  • Kaethel
  • Erin Klinger
  • LabRat
  • Sue S.

I just finished "What it Means to Love You" by Erin Klinger earlier this evening. Before that, I can't remember what I read, much less if it was good or not. I'm not really able to put titles and author names to fic plots unless 1) the fic was extremely memorable, 2) I've read the fic more than once, or 3) both.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Features Writer
Features Writer
1. What shall we call you? TEEEEEEEEEJ (E's vary) TJgruffs, Shim, Horndog(per Laurie)

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? Feb 13 2004

Serenity, not fic so much, but I did journal excerpts of the RPG I'm involved in and it reads like a fic

The Care and Training of Concubines, Serenity Crossover, and Alternate Universe #394

5. Your first fic? The Secretary

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? I would have said "I Was Just Thinking" cause I got a Kerth for that, but I like "The Bast is Yet to Come" better because of The Mummy crossover.

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Concubines definitely, been tapping at that gorram thing for 2 years

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Thesaurus in my head, and grammar nazi

9. Your biggest weaknesses? lazy muse, procrastination

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? nfic, action, humor

11. Genre(s) you won't write? WaFFy

12. What makes a fic good for you? Well described action

13. What ruins a fic for you? *not* well described action...and Tempus and HG Wells...I hate those guys /me shakes fist.

It's a Toss up; Sue or Alcyone, they both have this awesome descriptive ability, though I appreciate Sue's humor more, Alcyone's stories can have this gritty intensive edge that I just get into.

15. The best fic you've read recently? Another toss up; Last Call Casualty and Bohemia (NOT FINISHED DANG IT!!) /more shaking of fist...

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
Features Writer
Features Writer

alcyone is fine

Summer 2006.

Yes. (Nothing I'm terribly proud of)

Bohemia, my ill-timed Halloween tale (nfic) and an episode rewrite for Virtually Destroyed (also nfic).

5. Your first fic?

Another Halloween fic, Blue. It came to me and I always feel that holiday fics are liberating. You can always blame the festivities.

Hard to call, it's between Bohemia (because its so fun to write, between the action, the darkness and the local flavor) and The Fields (because its the most lighthearted, canon consistent thing I've written). With Bohemia, I feel like I'm writing a fic for me. The Fields felt like I was writing for fandom, but it was still my story, if that makes any sense.

My ridiculously long first fic, which has yet to see the light of day. It's a complicated a-plot/b-plot mix. Pseudoscience galore. Unfortunately, it needs a lot of work to become a cohesive product.

I'm not really sure. Maybe description? I think that's what people tend to point out in my stories.

Oh lol. Emotive dialogue. General warm and fuzziness. Abuse of the "it" pronoun. Wandering characterizations. I can go on...

Drama/Angst

Fluff/Crossover

Narrative depth and evocative writing. I love it when an author can play with language.

Corniness. Flat writing.

Sue is a remarkable talent. Her stories fit within canon characterization, but also expand it. She writes what I wish LnC would have been-- and her writing is simply delicious. You can tell she actually views her writing critically as she writes, I can't help but notworthy

Caroline K. also has a lovely way with words and brings the characters to life in a way that I don't see very often.

But I don't want to trade places with them, it's enough that I actually get to read their work. smile Seriously.

Recently? Sue's Conflicted.

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
OK, I'll bite...

1. What shall we call you? Lara will do fine, but I've been known to answer to Batgirl - for some reason.

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? Since summer 2006.

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? Not really, no. Except some... um... you know... :cough:Batman:cough: (but he's not a "show" per se)

4. Current stories you're working on? Heh. Nothing anyone here would care to read, I'm sure.

5. Your first fic? Shattered sent direct to the archive. It's a deathfic, but it's not what you think.

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? [K]nightfall. And my NaNo novel from last November, but I'm not done with it just yet...

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Like a Blizzard Through the Night. It took me *ages*. Sue had to beat it out of me. Literally.

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Heh. I'd like to think I can entertain readers in some way or another. I find myself amusing and a lot of my pieces are funny - mind you, I can write some serious angst if I try. Bruce can totally vouch for that.

9. Your biggest weaknesses? um... probably the language barrier - my level of vocabulary isn't as advanced as I wish it was and so that means I use the same words often and my descriptions could use a little work, too; more details for instance. I just have a hard time finding words to express what I see in my head sometime.

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? um.. If I say cross-overs, will you be surprised? I like to write stories where there's a bit of an a-plot, or short vignettes with a surprising/twist ending or that are meant to amuse.

11. Genre(s) you won't write? heh. I don't think there is a genre I won't write. I've written so many things... I don't especially like next-gen and babyfic, but then I *have* written two next-gen stories, so... *shrugs*

12. What makes a fic good for you? Good characterization. ...and Superman! (*giggles*)

13. What ruins a fic for you? OOC main characters and/or stories where the main characters could be "insert name here" and you wouldn't even notice the difference. If I can do a search and replace in an L&C fic and change the characters' names to Martin and Donna and it doesn't hurt the story at all, um...

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? A better version of myself would be the most honest answer. (OKOKit'snottrueIwishIwasSue!!!)

15. The best fic you've read recently? ahummm... you'll hate me for this, no doubt, but the best two were DJ's Heroes fic that I BR'ed and... the other one didn't even have a title, but it's a birthday present I got from Sue and it was just... delicious!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Pulitzer
Pulitzer

"Mary" is fine. smile Some peeps call me QoC or some variant, and that's fine too. laugh

Hoo-boy. It's been about 5 years now, hasn't it? I think I showed up at the boards when I was 15 or so.

Well, I dabbled in forms of Batman:The Animated Series fanfic, mostly Round Robin stuff (Hrm...Batman Round Robin goofy ), and I currently have a pitiful Justice League WIP on my hard drive.

MWAHAHAHAHA!!! goofy

Ooh, this is tough. I'd say either The Sound of Time Passing , which is a straight piece that didn't completely suck, or Martha\'s Bg Date , an "Interactive-Fiction" game that testifies to my geekiness.

You'd think the IF game, but no. goofy It's a tough call. Possibly "One Strange Year: Conception". That thing was so dang long! It was supposed to be just "One Strange Year," but it was so hard to write, that I had to snip it off and make it a serial. It's still *technically* not finished.

Comedy, humor, punchlines, and...uh, comedy. smile

Anything that's not comedy. Particularly Mysteries, since they involve a lot of planning and subtlety, both of which I kinda suck at. I am in awe of people who do them.

...Should I just put down comedy and call it a night? XD
Okay: Comedy, Kidfic, AUs, and Elseworlds. Not necessarily in that order.

Action and Porn (partly because I can't. It would look like a 12 year old wrote it, trust me. Even in G-Rated stuff, I have a hard time visualizing what happens to body parts when people do things, so Porn is just out of the question.) I also won't usually bother with Romance, but, eh.

A happy ending, of course. ^_^ Lois + Superman is instant win, but Lois + Clark is always nice, too. Zingers are always a plus. smile

Mayson, Scardino, Lana...anybody who gets in the way of LnC. I do not tolerate this. huh

~•~
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Carol or CarolM - either one of which could confuse me with Carol Malo wink

Erm... Jan 01? I think...

Only in my head and the couple crossovers I've done

Mainly my NaNo fic, tentatively titled "The Story of Clark and Lois Kent", a couple other short, fun ideas are floating around in my head though, and then one JoJo is dying to see written - Prologue is done, Ch1 is basically done, Ch2 is started and the rest... not even a figment of my imagination really

5. Your first fic?
Lois and Clark and the IRS

If I can pull it off the one JoJo wants to see...

Probably Sister Switch - because 9/11 happened and I had a baby or TOWLACMSNF because I had a hard drive crash and then time away from the fandom before it was finally finished 6m later

Erm... typing speed?

Erm... typing speed wink and A plot

B plot, comedy, WAFF

11. Genre(s) you won't write? Nfic, rarely write deathfic

Well written, not OOCs, waff, wham if done well, etc... I'll read almost anything that's well written - I can't handle poorly written stuff [grammar, spelling etc] because I deal with enough of that in RL but it's not too big a problem.

Poor characterization, spelling, grammar etc.

Nan - she's the author of Home wink , prolific, sequel queen, always great new takes on things we've seen before

Oh boy. Probably Vindication because it is just such an original take on the FH baby. I've reread almost everything by Nan except the Home and Dagger series in the last few weeks, CC Aiken, lots of Wendy, Yellow Fever was fabulous [by... Edit: by ML wink ]

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'll bite.

1. What shall we call you? Oops I forgot this question. Eh, people latch onto Jen, Shadow, JD...whatever floats your boat.

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? Snicker, when did the NewK arc air...97? Been writing since the NewK arc and been posting in spurts since 200...1?

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? Yes, Frasier and Charmed

4. Current stories you're working on? Nothing. When I write a story, I write nonstop till it's finished. :p

5. Your first fic? Man I don't even remember. I just kept spewing out the 500 ways I saw NewK playing out, none of which involved an alien invasion of Smallville haha!

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? Hm, I probably had the most fun writing That Old Spoof of Mine.

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? This year's piece, Everything But the Couches. The muse has been in and out lately...

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? I think I'm pretty good at making people giggle.

9. Your biggest weaknesses? Well, all I can actually do is make you laugh LOL. I'm very one note, but...see next q.

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? I have the most fun writing comedy, so why do something else I won't like? I don't mind killing off characters either; I just haven't done it in some time.

11. Genre(s) you won't write? Anything else. As the town cynic, I don't really care to write about romance, and that's half the show LOL.

12. What makes a fic good for you? Either quick or lyrical writing. I'm a very easily distracted person, so unless we're gonna pack sentences full of meaning or take a moment and draw the scenery for me, my mind will wander.

13. What ruins a fic for you? Too much introspection.

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Maybe CC; she can just kill with one sentence, if that makes some ridiculous sense outside my own head.

15. The best fic you've read recently? Re-reading Long, Strange Trip right now of which I'm a huge fan! It's a very unique twist on the altClark story, and I find Lois' emotions very vivid and captivating.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
J
JDG Offline
Blogger
Blogger
J
1. What shall we call you? JDG. Miss Judy if you're nasty

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? I've been posting for almost a year now.

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? Yes, but I won't taint anyone's perception of me by saying which one(s).

4. Current stories you're working on? The same one I started last year and never finished.

5. Your first fic? "Quittin' Time" (the aforementioned unfinished fic)

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? "Apologia"

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? "Quittin' Time"

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Ability to string words together in a cohesive fashion?

9. Your biggest weaknesses? Commas mystify me.

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? Are vignettes considered a genre?

11. Genre(s) you won't write? I would never say never.

12. What makes a fic good for you? Strong, clear writing. If I feel like the author knows where they're going and they have a purpose, it's easy for me to get pulled into a story.

13. What ruins a fic for you? Excessive and gratuitous punctuation. Also, a sense that an author is just rambling away and didn't really *think* about what they were saying. I tend to duck when I feel like someone is throwing words at me just to see what sticks.

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? I'd pretty much agree with the ones who've been named already - LabRat, Wendy, Caroline, Sue, alcyone, TJ, CC Aiken, Nan... All good authors in my book.

15. The best fic you've read recently? "Bohemia" by alcyone. I hope she finishes it soon - the suspense is killing me.

Perry: Jimmy, do you know what a man needs at a time like this?
Jimmy: A baseball bat and an alibi?
Church of Metropolis
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
1. What shall we call you? Caroline is fine.

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? I think I started posting my first story in April of 2006.

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? I've written for several other fandoms, but they weren't all television fandoms. I started writing in the MASH fandom, moved to Harry Potter, and have written one-shots/vignettes for several other books or shows.

4. Current stories you're working on? I'm not working on anything at the moment.

5. Your first fic? Ever? A MASH story called "A Time for Peace." Here? "If I Were You."

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? Oh, goodness. I have no idea. I generally try not to go back and look at stuff I've written before because it always sends me into fits of wishing I'd done things differently. I don't know that I have a story I'm "proudest" of. I have stories I'm particularly fond of, but that tends to have to do with the way I felt when I wrote them rather than with the actual finished product.

That said, I do have a special place in my heart for each of the "first" stories I've written in any fandom. There's something so exciting about diving into a new set of characters, getting to know them, getting the feel for their dialogue and discovering things about them that I didn't even know I knew. Even if I get a few things wrong, I enjoy that "new romance" feeling of writing in a new fandom.

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? One of my HP stories. It's the only story I've ever left unfinished, and I loathe it with an absolute passion.

As far as this fandom goes, I recall that I hit a snag somewhere in the middle of "Stardust" and flailed around a bit fretting over various things before I finally just decided to get on with finishing it. But it was probably my most troublesome L&C story.

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? No idea! I just write what happens in my head and hope someone else finds it as interesting as I do. laugh .

9. Your biggest weaknesses? I don't plot well. It's one reason I stay away from complicated A-plots. I tend to write by the seat of my pants, and that's not conducive to intricate plotting.

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? Romance, WAFF, humor. I'm a lightweight wink .

11. Genre(s) you won't write? Darkfic, unrelieved angst - basically anything that depresses me. I read those sorts of stories and even find them cathartic sometimes, but I spend exponentially more time writing a story than I'd spend reading one, and I don't want to immerse myself to that extent in a world that bums me out.

I also dislike writing nfic because I find it so tedious trying to navigate the minefield of "insert tab A into slot B" mechanics and, at the other end of the spectrum, romance novel cliches. I really admire authors who can do that well, but I don't think I'm one of them.

12. What makes a fic good for you? Characterization, characterization, characterization. Obviously, good writing, too, but if the characterization is a miss - if I don't feel that I recognize the characters as the ones I know and love from canon - then even brilliant writing won't make me stick with the story.

In general, I like stories that feel like a logical extrapolation from canon. I like stories that leave me feeling good, even if they serve up a dose of angst along the way.

13. What ruins a fic for you? Well, bad characterization - see above. But also bad grammar, spelling, etc. will make me shut a file pretty quickly. Not so much an issue in this fandom, but it certainly is in others.

And it might be too strong to say that it "ruins" a fic for me, because there are always exceptions, but I don't have much interest in Next Gen fics in this fandom, and the words "New Krypton" tend to send me running in another direction. I hated that arc so much that I'd really just prefer to pretend it never happened.

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Oh, I wouldn't trade places with anyone. Then I wouldn't have had the fun of writing my own stories, and writing them has brought me a tremendous amount of pleasure.

However, there are authors here I admire immensely, many of whom influenced my own take on the characters back in the days when I was a lurker and reader: CC Aiken, Kathy Brown, LabRat, Lynn M., Meredith Knight, Yvonne Connell... and I know there are more who just aren't coming to mind right now. I came to the fandom via the stories rather than the show, so the authors on the archive were really the ones who hooked me and showed me the characters' potential.

15. The best fic you've read recently? While doing some Kerth reading, I wound up re-reading all of C_A's lovely vignettes. I don't know that I could pick a favorite among them, but she has a way with words - and a way of packing so much into just a few perfectly chosen words - that I admire tremendously.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Paul wrote:

I don't really consider myself an author anymore.
Hopefully not, Paul. I look forward to your stories, your unique way of looking at things.

c.

C
Features Writer
Features Writer
C
1. What shall we call you? CG or Coolgirl

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? Hmm... *checks the boards* October 3rd 2007

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? Nope... but I'm planning to... smile

4. Current stories you're working on? Thank Me with a Kiss (Last Part), Sequel to A Kiss in the Snow, two more *ancient* untitled nFics from my hard-disk

5. Your first fic? Lois, the Vampire Seducer

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? A Kiss in the Snow even though it didn't recieve much FDK (LTVS got more)

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Thank Me with a Kiss

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Uh... dunno... *trying* to write something? wink

9. Your biggest weaknesses? Muse-less-ness AKA laziness, both are same for me! When I'm museless I'm lazy and when I'm lazy I'm museless

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? Romance and Humor, even though people mistake the humorous ones for romance and vice-versa! wink

11. Genre(s) you won't write? Deathfics, Horror, Paranormal, SuperFutures/NextGen

12. What makes a fic good for you? Romance, B-Plot, Slightly angsty, Sweet but sometimes the sensual hot stuff

13. What ruins a fic for you? Death of a major character other than the villains, rape and other horrors, bad grammar, too much words without any stuff etc. etc.

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Sue and Wendy laugh

15. The best fic you've read recently? The Next Step by Wendy and The Next Step by Sue laugh

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
1. What shall we call you? James
2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? Summerish 1996
3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? yes

-I am working on a SG-1/LnC(the younger years) crossover.
-I am still reworking 'Let's do it again/Seven Days of Superman' which I first started in 1999.
-I am also working on my NaNoWriMo story.

5. Your first fic? Not Even... found at http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2000/noteven.txt

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? Best Reporter in the World found at ]http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2003/bestrepo.txt[/b]
7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? [b]Let's do it again/Seven Days of Superman

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Creative ideas that are really hard to put down on paper.
9. Your biggest weaknesses? Description, grammar, spelling, mixed tenses.
10. Preferred genre(s) to write? Crossover
11. Genre(s) you won't write? Humor. I've tried and it doesn't look good.EDIT I was going through my ailing harddrive and found a fic that I posted to this board May 19th, 2004. The FDK I got proved me wrong. Apparently I can write humor stories.
12. What makes a fic good for you? good descriptions and horrendous cliffhangers
13. What ruins a fic for you? pre-marital sex, bad grammar, boring dialog. uber-introspection, ANGST
14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Nan Smith
15. The best fic you've read recently?Anything written by Nan Smith

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
1. What shall we call you? Lisa. I also answer to Elisabeth, but we already have one of those. (And outside this fandom I've never been able to say that!) In real life I have a few other nicknames, too - the joys of having a name like Elisabeth. (I actually do love my name, especially the spelling, although to this day my mom can't give me a satisfactory reason for spelling it with an 's'. And goodness I sure have rambled on in reply to such a simple question.)

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? I wrote my first story in the summer of 2006. August, I think.

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? Not for other shows, but once upon a time I did write Titanic fic.

4. Current stories you're working on? Lois goes undercover at a bank, Lois is a CIA agent, Lois has a bad day. Those three have actual words on paper but no titles yet. I have two others in the pre-planning stages.

5. Your first fic? Damn Good Thing

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? Camera Obscura because it was the one that was the most difficult to write, and it ended up in a place I wasn't expecting.

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? See above.

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? I think that I'm pretty good at bringing realism into my fics. I try to use details that make the characters seem like real people in real situations. And I have a fairly decent grasp of grammar.

9. Your biggest weaknesses? A-plots. Even if I have a great idea it's hard for me to follow it through to a conclusion. And humor. I'm not a very funny person, really.

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? I'm not actually sure. Most of my fics have been waffy, but I think that goes back to my A-plot problems. If I could nail down a good idea, I think I'd really like writing more dramatic stuff.

11. Genre(s) you won't write? I'm not ruling anything out.

12. What makes a fic good for you? It has to have good grammar or I'm not going to read past the first sentence. After that, good characterization combined with a fresh plot will keep my interest.

13. What ruins a fic for you? I guess the opposite of the above!

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? I'm pretty happy being me, but there are certainly authors I admire. I love the way CC and Caroline make me laugh just with a turn of phrase, the way Sue can intertwine an A-plot and a B-plot together so beautifully, Nan and Terry's original story lines, Yvonne's dramatic flair and many, many more.

15. The best fic you've read recently? In Dreams . What a beautiful, original story! (And I probably should send Kaylle an email telling her that I think so. blush ) She wrote in her author's note "this was the first solution I came up with when I decided to find a way to make alt-Clark happy" and I thought, 'That was your first idea? Can I have your imagination, please?'

smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Columnist
Columnist
Hi,

I'll be lazy and follow Paul's example and direct you to...

http://www.nfanfic.net/showcase/jenni.htm

However, since that information is from 1999, I will try to update a little and answer some questions.

3) I have never written for any other show.

4) I'm currently working on a sequel to The Forgotten, called My Wife The Boss

6) I'm answering this one because my choice has actually changed since 1999. I'd say that The Forgotten is the story I am now most satisfied with. I also loved writing my Universal Union series, but 'proudest' is probably not a term I would apply to my writing.

7) I think my current story is the one I'm finding most difficult to write, but not because of the subject, but because my real life has been a bit stressful over the last few months... and I always was a slow writer. Plus, I have found doing my usual research for this story has been a bit problematic, which readers might understand when this story finally hits the MBs and Archive.

8) I guess my greatest strengths would lie in writing intricate A-plots, which I hope my readers enjoy. Also, I try to write well-rounded characters, both the new and those from the show. I hope I still stay true to the canon of Lois and Clark.

9) My weakness is in writing romance. I am still as much of a romantic as I was in 1999, but I'm not sure writing the romantic interludes between Lois and Clark is my strength.

10) Lois and Clark's future lives.

As to the rest of the questions, what I said in 1999 still applies, but I think my tastes have changed a little over the years.

I'm not going to list favourite authors, as I don't want anyone to feel left out. However, I'm so grateful that there is a new generation of L&C writers out there, both gfic and nfic, and I really appreciate all of their efforts... some more than others, but that's just personal taste.

I hope the link and my answers give you an idea of who Jenni Debbage was and still is.

Yours Jenni

rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
MrsMosely (Lisa),
My sister's middle name is Elisabeth and the spelling comes from Luke 1:5- "...and her name was Elisabeth." huh

thanks!

rkn
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I don't know if a few drabbles and one vignette qualify me as an author, but I wanted to participate anyway.

1. What shall we call you? BJ or Brenda
2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? Um, first drabble was posted in March 2007.
3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? Yes, I've written fanfic for "The Nanny"
4. Current stories you're working on? A story that answers one of Patrick's (aka Framework) fanfic challenges. I'm not going to say which one just yet, 'cause I'm stuck and don't have a clue how long it'll take me to get unstuck. grumble Besides that one, I've got a short DW/LnC crossover in response to James' challenge and a NK rewrite that's been rumbling around in my head for over a year. It's currently still an outline drafted on a napkin...
5. Your first fic? If the Drabbles don't count, then my first (and only) LnC fic is a nfic vignette called "Eternal".
6. Piece of work you're proudest of? Currently under construction. Please come back later for the answer to that question. wink
7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? I have a hard time finishing anything. See, I have this problem with a fickle muse. She pops in, gives me a somewhat interesting idea about a story, might stay around for a scene or two, then she skips out on me.
8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Hard for me to say. Maybe once I've got a few more stories under my belt, I could pinpoint a writing strength.
9. Your biggest weaknesses? See above. Besides writing slower than molasses in winter, I edit as I go, usually after the muse abandons me and I'm struggling with new scenes. Also, I have problems with comma usage and grammar.
10. Preferred genre(s) to write? I like AU, and Alt-Clark holds a special place in my heart, but I'm really not picky. I'll write pretty much any genre if I think the idea has merit.
11. Genre(s) you won't write? See above about not being picky. However, I already know I'm not very good at writing clever A-plots, especially those that require scientific exposition. I stay clear of those.
12. What makes a fic good for you? Witty banter is a major selling point for me. Also, authors that can show me the character emotions enough to make me feel what they're feeling, whether angst or WaFF, are superheroes in my book. I love a good b-plot and am totally enthralled when an author can weave a good a-plot in with it.
13. What ruins a fic for you? I love to fall into a story, so anything that pulls me out of the story can ruin it for me: wordy narratives that don't move the story along, simplistic dialogue, poor grammar, to name a few.
14. Author you wish you could trade places with? There are so many authors that I admire here for a variety of reasons. Many of my favorites have already been listed by others. I tried to list them, but then edited the names out when it became ridiculously long. blush
15. The best fic you've read recently? So many to choose from... I'd have to say the best new story on the mbs is "Bohemia" by Alcyone. It's not done yet, but wow - an awesomely original and spooky story. I can't wait for the next part. The best story I've re-read off the archive was CC Aiken's "When the World Finds Out". Simply fantastic.

BJ

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by rkn:
MrsMosely (Lisa),
My sister's middle name is Elisabeth and the spelling comes from Luke 1:5- "...and her name was Elisabeth." huh
Ditto for my wife.

James

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
1. What shall we call you? Elisabeth, of course. (Which is a Biblical name, but only if you use the King James Version. If you use one of the newer translations, you'll find one of those new-fangled spellings.)

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? That's a tough question. I've written snippets here and there for almost ten years, but I've only FINISHED anything (meaning it is edited enough that I'll submit it to the archive) for the last year.

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? I did one story for Sue Thomas F B Eye, but other than that I've been pretty faithful to L&C.

4. Current stories you're working on? I'm doing a severe edit to a long episode adaptation of House of Luthor. I'll probably start posting it in February or March. I've also started an un-named work for the Crossover ficathon which crosses Inspector Gadget & Curious George with L&C.

5. Your first fic? The first fic I finished for the archive was Christmas at Luthor Manor. I'm not sure what the first thing I've ever posted to the boards was, since I never kept track of the snippets.

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? Probably my current work, the one coming in the next month or so.

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Walking Past the Sunset or Black Leather over Kansas. Both want to be written, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Humor

9. Your biggest weaknesses? Finishing--that's why I've posted so little. However, you can be assured that anything I post will get finished.

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? I've dabbled in a lot.

11. Genre(s) you won't write? N-fic

12. What makes a fic good for you? Touching the emotion--either WAFF or humor

13. What ruins a fic for you? I enjoyed L&C because it was a family show. When a fic moves into the realm of PG-13 and beyond, it doesn't seem to honor the original audience of the show. Yup, that's what ruins it for me.

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Nan

15. The best fic you've read recently? I'm enjoying getting ready for the Kerths with a lot of short stuff.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
6. Piece of work you're proudest of? A Kiss in the Snow even though it didn't recieve much FDK (LTVS got more)
Actually, that's a ton of feedback for that time of year. Remember, you could have a lot more lurkers who don't post feedback for every one who leaves a note year-round.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, despite the fact that any entry in the FoLCdom Directory of Authors would list me as Author (Defunct), I've enjoyed reading the other posts so much that I thought I'd join in anyway. Made me quite nostalgic for the Writer's Showcase interviews. I can remember I couldn't wait till the end of each week to go read a new one.

LabRat. Or any one of a number of variations that people seem comfortable using: Lab, Labby, Rat etc. I don't mind, so long as it's friendly. <g>

Oh gosh, dates. Not good with dates. I found FoLCdom right after LNC was cancelled, so it would have to have been around then. I'm fairly sure I started with my series of PWP nfic romps. Has to have been around 1999, I think. My first 'serious' work was Caped Fear (nfic version available at Annesplace), so, yeah – long way around to say, 1999.

Oh gosh, yes. I began writing around about 8 years old. Firstly, it was animal stories, then I graduated to SFantasy, so over the years I've written for many of my favourites, from Blake's 7 to Star Wars, Robin of Sherwood, the list goes on. My great love right before LNC was the western series, The Young Riders. Wrote a ton of fic for that. But LNC was the first time my work went online. Everything before that was published in paper zines.

Er…moving swiftly on…

5. Your first fic?

Can't remember what my first fic was, but my first LNC fic was one of those nfic romps: Inside Scoop. The funny thing about that was that I'd never tackled nfic before, or even read it. I didn't have any serious objections to it, I just hadn't experienced any that were to my tastes. In fact, on a couple of short months before writing IS, I'd written a scene in my latest TYR fic where the hero got to place his hand on the heroine's breast while they kissed. I was in a cold sweat as I wrote it and finally had to remove it because I blushed whenever I read it. I have no clue what happened in the intervening months to go from that to a full blown nfic! I just know I woke up one morning with an idea in my head that was only ever going to work as an nfic, thought I'd give it a go and found it wasn't only easy as pie to do, but caused me no emotional freakouts whatsoever. Go figure.

Hmmmmm. You know, that's a hard one. I guess I'd have to say Caped Fear. If only because I once got a feedback email on that one from a girl who said she had terminal cancer and that reading it had given her enormous pleasure and taken her mind off her problems and treatment. You have to be proud of that really. If something you've written has given just a moment's pleasure to someone else…well, what an achievement.

Everything half written and currently languishing on my hd.

No clue at all on this one. I am desperately incapable of judging my own writing in any sense. I have zero idea what makes it work and, in fact, am pretty much constantly convinced it doesn't and deeply surprised when others seem to disagree and like it. laugh

Rewrites. I swear I'm the Rewrite Queen. I had to train myself to stop doing it so much because there's such a danger of just leeching out all that's good in a paragraph if you go over it too many times. But I still find myself itching to change just one last word. And I cannot move on unless that paragraph is just right. Then, six months later, I think…I should have changed….

That and procrastination.

Angst, definitely. Hurt/Comfort. I like to include a lot of light and dark in my stories though. Trauma is weakened if you don't have humor to lighten it, now and then.

I don't think there's any genre I wouldn't write. It just depends on the plot I think of. There are genres that I don't generally read, just because their not to my taste – NG, for instance, barring a few exceptions – but I wouldn't not write a NG if I thought of a good plot for one.

Just a cracking good story, well told. Humor, especially humorous dialogue – I do love good banter between characters. And lots of angst, of course. laugh

The characters doing or saying something I consider OOC. If the author has a very good explanation for why they're doing it, I'm prepared to go along, but if it's just because of bad writing, then I'm outta there pronto. Otherwise, I'm a pretty sanguine reader.

Definitely CC Aiken, who makes it all look so effortless. I have deep and abiding greenness for that woman's first drafts, which are practically as good as her finished story. (You don't want to see my first drafts. Seriously.)

I haven't been reading fanfic for some time now, sadly, but it would definitely have to be DJ's Flawed. An amazing story which just didn't put a foot wrong and includes some of the most powerfully emotional scenes I've ever read in a fanfic.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
The best fic you've read recently? While doing some Kerth reading, I wound up re-reading all of C_A's lovely vignettes. I don't know that I could pick a favorite among them, but she has a way with words - and a way of packing so much into just a few perfectly chosen words - that I admire tremendously.
Aww, thank you blush . Unfortunately, my muse seems to have taken a leave of absence as of late. It's been so long since I've written anything that I think you can add me to the list of defunct authors. frown (And vidders, for that matter.)

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
dizzy

5. Your first fic?

A short little fluff piece called "A Cut Above The Rest".

Ooooh, that's really tough. Really, really tough. Can I put 2 down? Because I was really proud of "House of Cards" because it was the longest and most involved story I had written (by myself) but I am also proud of "50 First Revelations" which I managed to drag Sue S. into writing with me (and had a wonderful time writing with her.)

Hmmm... that's a hard one. I runnith off at the mouth, so I haven't really had a hard time finishing one. I guess I had a little trouble stamina-wise with House of Cards because it was so long. <shrug>

Hmmm... I'm prolific? LOLS! Seriously - I can't answer questions like this... Maybe that I at least "feel" like I can get into the character's heads a little (at least if I really know the character well)...

LOL... I can list more than one? How much time do you have? Hee hee... I forget to "describe" the surroundings with more detail - there's a fine line between not enough detail and too much detail (imho) Sometimes I have problems with the verb tenses switching around on me and other grammatical problems (as Lara and Sue can attest to.) Okay, I'll stop there before I irrevocably damage my self esteem. smile

I like a story with a strong A plot. I mean, don't get me wrong... B plot is important. Especially in a romantic show like LnC... and I love the fluff stories as much as the next person. But writing an A plot story is a "challenge" - at least to me. You have to come up with something interesting (dangerous, involved) and then find a way to "logically" move the characters along to get them to the climatic point of the whole plot. It's just fun. And I like being surprised as I go, at ways I find to tie things together. But, for me, the story has to have romance in it (even if - in the case of my Heroes story - I have to event a character to satisfy my inner romantic)

Slash? If that is considered a category. Sorry, but I won't go there...

Good A & B plots - balanced. Good characterization. Don't let them swing too far one way or the other. Not too much inner dialog, but enough that I know what's going on in the character's head. Inner dialog for me, needs to be balanced with good action and interactive dialog... along with good "description". Let me know what the character is doing while they are talking. Are they pushing hair back out of their eyes? Pacing around the room? Staring into the other person's eyes dreamily? LOL...

[13. What ruins a fic for you?

Really bad grammar/punctuation. I can take a little bit of it being off... but it's distracting if it's too bad. Way out of character, characterizations. I can suspend belief... but only to a point (and only if it's explained).

Ooooh, that's hard because there are so many good authors on here. But, I have to choose my queen, Sue. I learned so much from her. I was so unpolished and rough when she first found me... not that I'm not still... LOL! I'd love to be able to write in her shoes for a story. smile I know I sure enjoyed writing a story WITH her.

That's another difficult one because I haven't really been reading LnC fic recently. So I'm going to list my top 3 favs that I've read in my time spent here - in no particular order:

- Revisionist History (first story I ever beta'd - & showed me what an awesome world this is to play in)
- A Gift For Life (first story that made me cry multiple times - for real)
- If I Were You (... what can I say... it's just incredible)

And there are so, so, so many others.

Anyway, there's my answers... whether you really wanted them or not - LOL. I've missed you guys! <BIG GROUP HUG> I'll be back one day... I really will... Sorry, my muse is just having too much fun in Heroes land right now.

C-ya all again soon!

-- DJ <who has babbled on WAY TOO LONG... as usual>

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I hesitate to answer but it looks like there are others who just started posting in 07 so I'm not the only newbie here. wink 1. What shall we call you? rkn- I'd die of embarrassment if anyone connected my unexplainable,out-of-nowhere n-fic post to my RL. People actually think I'm quiet and shy!
2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? I only started writing down the story that had been churning for several years in my head in Feb. '07.
3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? No.
4. Current stories you're working on? Creation
5. Your first fic? Smallville Style
6. Piece of work you're proudest of? Smallville Style b/c I finally sat down and wrote and had the guts to share some of my most private thoughts and dreams. There is probably more of me in that story than my closest friends and family know about me.
7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Creation (obviously). I was hoping for some help in writing that one. I want them back together but don't want to hurry the reconciliation b/c resolving issues that big is just not easy and shouldn't be conveyed as such.
8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Not sure I have any!
9. Your biggest weaknesses? As hard as I try, the feelings I am trying to invoke in my readers are not always the ones that they receive. huh
10. Preferred genre(s) to write? Season 1&2
11. Genre(s) you won't write? New Kryptonians
12. What makes a fic good for you? Just the right amount of angst. Love can't just come easy to these two.
13. What ruins a fic for you? Kryptonians (other than Clark, of course), SuperDog, cat, etc. I just can't make myself keep reading then.
14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Anyone under 30!
15. The best fic you've read recently? I love just about anything by MLThompson. And I like Sue's stories. They are just the right amount of angsty. Two stories I go back to again and again, though, are "Gift for Life" and "What Makes a Man". Like I said, there must be some angst and in the end, L&C's love is stronger and better than it would have been without the angst.

thanks!

rkn
Columnist
Columnist
Beth works. I'm also partial to Princess Bethany. But anything goes really as long as it's not by my initials (I'll let you guys figure that one out)

August 2007. I don't remember the exact date, but that's what it says on the bottom of the box when I post something so that's what I'm going with.

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? Nope. Haven't really done a lot of creative writing before this.

4. Current stories you're working on? Well, I'm pretty much finished with writing Honesty, although there are a few more parts that still need to be posted on the boards. I'm just starting to work on a sequel for that story.

5. Your first fic? An Early Revelation

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? As of now it's Honesty, but I have the sneaking suspicion that any piece I'm currently working on will be the one I'm most proud of. Hopefully I will continue to get better and better as a writer.

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Since I'm only on fic #2, I haven't really come across any major challenges. I don't like to start writing unti I have a fairly clear idea of where the story is going, and then the feedback on the boards keeps me plugging away at it.

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? I don't know. How about you sample my writing and you can tell me? (yes, that was a blatant attempt to get more feedback. What can I say, I'm an addict)

9. Your biggest weaknesses? Hmmm, I guess one thing is that I tend to have a very bad instinct when it comes to the quality of my writing, especially when it comes to humor. I tend to write stuff I like or think is kinda funny, but I have no idea if it's actually any good. (which means that people should leave me feedback and tell me if it's good or bad!)

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? Anything, really. I did one episode rewrite, and now I'm working through the NextGen world, and who knows what's next?

11. Genre(s) you won't write? Nfic. I don't read it, and I'm sure I would be very bad at writing it if I tried

12. What makes a fic good for you? Nothing really concrete. Just good writing.

13. What ruins a fic for you? Erm... bad writing? I have read fic that just didn't work for me, but I don't know if there was a specific thing that turned me off. Maybe if I can't identify to the characters (which I think comes back to writing quality)

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Nobody. If I traded places with any of the amazing authors out there then I would have to put in all the effort to write such good stuff. Much better to just kick back in my chair and read all the good writing

15. The best fic you've read recently? Hmm... I don't know really. I haven't had much time to read fic lately and there's so many good stories out there. I just can't decided!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
All right, even though - like LabRat - I'm pretty much now a defunct writer as far as L&C is concerned (though I won't rule out dropping in with a drabble every now and then if there's a new challenge hint, hint), wink I'll bite. Though, if anyone cares to look, I also have an interview up at the Writer's Showcase. Hey, you know, someone should volunteer to resurrect those interviews and do the newer authors!

Hey, you? Oi, you over there? Oh, you mean a name. Right. Well, Wendy works pretty well most of the time. razz No further comment needed! Too much head-hopping - please, only change point of view when you start a new scene! And never, ever, change POV mid-paragraph. Breaking the fourth wall - eg a reference to the actor who plays the character. Oh, and something you get a lot on some other fanfic archives: review-begging and self-promotion. Anything saying 'read my fic, it's great!' or 'please, please review', or worse still, 'I'll only continue if I get enough reviews'... I'm out of there. grumble

CC Aiken or Dave. I'm in awe of them, though for different reasons. CC is so incredibly talented at tight plotting, dialogue and humour - and her observations of the characters are absolutely spot-on. She's easily one of the best writers this fandom has ever had. And Dave has a gift for words. His fics are short - he writes the best drabbles I've ever seen anyone write - but they pack a punch. If you don't believe 100 words can punch you in the gut, read some of his Doctor Who drabbles. They're beautiful and often painful. He paints pictures with his words, and there's never a single word wasted in his writing. Sparse, but absolutely gorgeous. I've learned a lot from him and he's absolutely my mentor when it comes to drabbles.

Suppose it has to be L&C? I really don't read much L&C fic at all now, so if I mention anything it would only be because I just chanced to read it, like CC's recent nfic. But I looked back in the TOC and found Dave's Wedding Vows and I remember that it left me choked up. And, too, it's such a striking example of Dave's incredible skill with words. Go and read it, if you haven't. It's beautiful, painful, haunting and brilliant.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hey, you know, someone should volunteer to resurrect those interviews and do the newer authors!
I did that some time back. Last year, maybe? Can't recall. But I stopped meantime because there's currently a bit of a backlog of interviews still to be uploaded, I think. Once Annette has found time to upload the ones she has pending, I'll be happy to organise more. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I'm not sure I should be posting here. After all, I am retired from writing... sort of.

What shall we call you? Call me Ismael... No, wait, that's someone else. You can call me KoTHE; King of The Happy Ending... or Tank.

How long have you been writing L&C fanfiction? A long time. I go back to the turn of the century.

Have you ever written fics for other shows? There is fanfiction for other shows? Really?

Current stories you're working on? None, zip, nada, nothing, my mind's a blank.

Your first fic? I'm old, I don't think I can remember that far back. It might have been "A Chat with Lois". I think the little short that started off the 'Future' series was my third or fourth effort.

Piece of work you're proudest of? I've written a few songs I really like, and I've made some store fixtures that have worked pretty well. Maybe it's the layouts I've devised for our comic book conventions. Then there was that first story where I managed to convince Lois to cut her hair.

Piece of work you had the hardest time finishing? The 'Future Series'; because the dang thing wouldn't end.

Your greatest strengths as a writer? In all honesty I've always felt I was pretty good with dialog.

Your biggest weakness? My grammar stinks. Just ask my former super secret mystery beta reader.

Preferred genre(s) to write? Lois haircut stories.

Genre(s) you won't write? Since I'm so innocent and naive I won't write nfic. Since I hate children I won't write anything involving the little monsters. Jimmyfic.

What makes a fic good for you? A good haircut for Lois.

What ruins a fic for you? A missed opportunity for a good haircut for Lois.

Writer you wish you could trade places with? Currently? Someone who lives someplace warm.

The best fic you've read recently? You mean we're supposed to actually read these fics?

Tank (who also has an 'interview' on the old writer's showcase, but is afraid most of the information is quite dated)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey, you know, someone should volunteer to resurrect those interviews and do the newer authors!
I did that some time back. Last year, maybe? Can't recall. But I stopped meantime because there's currently a bit of a backlog of interviews still to be uploaded, I think. Once Annette has found time to upload the ones she has pending, I'll be happy to organise more.
Speaking of the backlog . . . I think my interview is in there, but by now it's probably out of date as well. Any chance I might be allowed to re-work it before Annette find time to upload it?

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Five Times Lois Didn’t Get Her Hair Cut... and one time she did

What makes a fic good for you? A good haircut for Lois.
What ruins a fic for you? A missed opportunity for a good haircut for Lois.
- Tank

“Lois -”

“Sorry, Chief! Gotta run, I’m late for my hair appointment. Thought it was time I went for something shorter, y’know.”

“Lois, Superman’s giving a press conference in five minutes.”

“On it, Chief!”

~>~>~>

“How about dinner tonight, Lois?”

“Oh, I’m sorry, Clark. I’ve only just this second booked an appointment to get my hair cut. You have NO IDEA how hard it is to get an appointment with Julio. He’s booked up weeks in advance!”

“Ah. See, I was kinda thinking... this little Italian place, you know, the one with those decadent chocolate desserts...”

“Really? Oh, well, I always said Julio’s overrated anyway.”

~>~>~>

“Step on it! I’m gonna be late for my appointment!”

“What d’you expect me to do, lady? This is Metropolis! We get traffic jams, that’s just the way it is.”

“I don’t care what you do! Just get me to Style by Design in the next three minutes, or -”

*CRASH*

“Somebody call an ambulance!”

~>~>~>

“Hand it over, lady.”

“You’ve got to be kidding! Get out of my way. I’ve got an appointment -”

“You wanna live to see the next five minutes, lady, hand over your purse.”

“I’ve put more scum like you in jail than you’ve had - OW!”

“Warned you. Hand it over. And you’d better hope that fancy-dancy hair salon place runs a tab.”

~>~>~>

“...and news just in: part of the west end of the downtown area has been completely destroyed by an explosion. Authorities are still trying to determine a cause. Several businesses on North Third Avenue have been destroyed or very badly damaged, including the Bank of Metropolis branch, Tad Williams Insurance Brokers and Sharp Cuts...”

~>~>~>

“So, how does it look, Clark?”

“You look beautiful. But then you always look beautiful.”

“No, how does it *really* look? Be honest with me, Clark. None of this telling me I’ll always look beautiful to me because you don’t want to hurt my feelings. Is this a disaster on the scale of cutting all my head off and dyeing my scalp purple, or is it just a bad hair day? And if it’s somewhere in between just how bad is it? You know what, if I call now I can probably get another appointment to have it fixed up - You’re hesitating, Clark. Why are you hesitating?”

“Honestly, Lois? Because your hair doesn’t look one bit different to me than when you walked out of here two hours, and probably a hundred bucks, ago.”

“Men!”

~ end

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Features Writer
Features Writer
Writer you wish you could trade places with? Currently? Someone who lives someplace warm.
Ah come on Tank, aren't you looking forward to the Ice Carnival this weekend???? laugh goofy

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
Blogger
Blogger
HI!! grumble

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? being able to describe an event without actually having to say the words? inventing characters? I am WAY too picky about verb usage and spelling and grammar and run on sentences and making things plural when they shouldn't be, etc...

9. Your biggest weaknesses? Real life... oh and the end of the Justice League murdered my muse or she quit... either way... I have a habit of creating characters...I am WAY too picky about verb usage and spelling and grammar and run on sentences and making things plural when they shouldn't be, etc...

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? any? all?

11. Genre(s) you won't write? nfic... trust me you do not want to go there...

12. What makes a fic good for you? description. I have to be able to see it.

13. What ruins a fic for you? grammar and spelling... oh and missing words, that drives me nutters

ok you do realize that that means I have to be like a decent author to begin with right?

15. The best fic you've read recently? oh geez, ONE?!?! umm...
The Kid by Mercy (Can't wait for the next chapter) Darkest Dreams by SmirkyRaven
Family Hour by ShaneT
Honesty by Beth S
A Gift for Life by StopQuitDont & Jenni Debbage

Here…poke that.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Sheila, although my nick is usually SheilaH to distinguish me from other Sheila's.

I started my first L&C story within two weeks after I got on-line (February 1996) and realized that there was a place to "publish" such stories.

No, although I've written some alt-world real person fic (George and Lynn stories) under the name of echo.

I'm editing "Without a Trace," my DVD fundraiser story, to provide more setting details and more show/less tell. I'm also working on my NaNoWriMo novel, which is an original suspense/speculative fiction story with romantic elements.

5. Your first fic?
"A Shot in the Dark," posted May 1996.

Usually, I like the story I'm working on most, but I've been pleasantly surprised when I've gone back to re-read some of my earlier pieces. I've also been unpleasantly surprised by what I now consider an unacceptable amount of head-hopping. I guess that means I'll probably like WoaT most when I'm done editing. smile

The non-L&C romance novel I mentioned in my showcase interview back in 1999. I began it in 1996 or 1997 and finally finished it in December 2003. Working on that and a G&L novel pretty much pre-empted my L&C fic from May 2000 until October 2005.

Probably that I'm a good storyteller. I don't write beautiful prose or sparkling dialog or emotionally powerful scenes, but I write stories that seem to draw readers in, that make them want to keep reading, that are generally suspenseful and emotionally satisfying. I also seem to have a decent ear for the characters' voices and a good sense of pacing.

My writing weaknesses are a tendency to tell instead of show and to leave scenes less than fully developed. As a writer, I suffer from procrastination and a lack of discipline, as well as being an almost terminally slow writer. That's how I can have finished the first draft of WoaT in January 2006 and still be editing it 2 years later.

Drama, I'd guess. My favorite story to write has a good A-plot (that is tightly integrated with and drives a B-plot that illuminates something in Lois & Clark's relationship. The story's got to end well and have enough WAFFs that readers aren't left feeling depressed. My personal preference is for stories that have some kind of WHAM in them, too, just to make the WAFFs sweeter in contrast.

Otherwise, my favorite genre is superfutures: anything that picks up from where the series left off. I don't particularly like to mess with canon because, for me, that's a story about an Alt-L&C, not the L&C I fell in love with. So to keep from stepping on canon, I tend to write stories that take place after the series ended. I wrote stories for each of the fan-driven seasons (TUFS, S5, S6), and my latest one basically continues the S5-S6 continuity.

Although I used to write nfic versions of all my stories, I don't write nfic anymore. I'm not interested in cross-overs, mostly because they spend too much time on characters I don't know and don't care about.

Lois and Clark have to be in character; that's the deal-breaker. After that, the language is a pleasure to read; the narrative is scenic (i.e. the story is told in scenes that the reader can visualize rather than in long stretches of introspection); and humor laces either scenes or dialog. There is enough suspense of one kind or another to keep me turning pages, yet the story also has a good sense of pacing and gives the reader a break after some really intense scenes. The dialogue not only sounds natural to the ear, but also sounds like the characters did on the show and either moves the story along or illuminates character in some way. The fic also has to end happily.

L&C being OOC or the writer exclusively blaming one of the two for the problems with their relationship ruins a fic for me. In addition, as a college composition instructor, I have to read enough poorly written, incoherent sentences that I won't waste my precious leisure time reading them in fics. I don't like stories where the characters move from irreconcilable differences to "I love you forever, happily ever after" in just a few pages, so I'm not keen on a lot of vignettes.

I like being myself, but I'd sure like to have Nan's plot creativity and prolificacy.

I can't list a single best. I like the ones during the past year or so by Nan Smith, ML Thompson, DJ, Sue S., CC Aiken. I'm sure there are others, too, but those are the ones that come to mind immediately.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Nan will do, although my name is really Nancy (big shock there).

Since 1999. I discovered the Fanfic Archive and read feverishly through it, making up for the lack of anything LnC since the show ended, and idly remarked to my daughter that I thought I might be able to write as well as some of the work I saw there, but I was a little nervous about such a step. She dared me to try (I have a lot of trouble resisting a dare) and so I did.

No. Outside of some really bad Star Trek fic in my teens. I threw it away, with good reason.

At the moment I'm working on a sequel for 'The Hottest Team in Town', and dabbling in 'Home: Murder by Earthlight', as well as occasionally fiddling with 'Halloween 2: The Other Side of the Mirror' and a sequel to 'The Newlywed Game'. And then there's the next Dagger Story, when inspiration palls on the others.

5. Your first fic?
Dagger of the Mind

You must be joking. I feel good about a number of stories but I don't know that 'proud' is the word I'd use.

Actually, once I really get going I usually don't have much trouble finishing. The problem is starting. The only time I had any trouble was in 2006 when I stalled for months on Supercop 2 and Home: Obsession. It wasn't for lack of knowing where the stories were supposed to go but more a case of being under so much stress with real life issues that I didn't really have the time or energy to write.

Uhh -- A-plots, usually complicated ones. And I think I'm pretty good with characterizations. I read a book years ago about writing fiction where they quoted an established author. He advised would-be authors to show the action, not tell, and to include impressions of all the main character's senses when establishing a setting. He also said to include details in order to make it come to life. I remembered that and have tried to stick to that advice ever since.

Interpersonal relationships. But I'm working on that. The other one is commas <g>. Just ask any of my editors.

Anything with a strong A-Plot. Preferably complicated.

I won't write deathfics. And Nfic -- make that *can't* write it. Too much early conditioning as a child. <g>

It's like art. I can't really say what it is about a good fic that I like. Usually it's a combination of factors, but I know when I read one. And a good ending is a must. Kill off Lois or Clark (or any good main character) and I don't want to read it. Real life can be harrowing enough. I don't need to read about tragedies for entertainment. There's plenty of that in the news.

A bad ending. Bad grammar that isn't intentionally bad. It jerks me right out of the story. Lois, Clark or any of the established cast badly out of character.

Heavens, I don't know. There are a lot of very good authors out there. I don't think I'd want to trade with any of them but I wouldn't mind acquiring some of their talent. Sheila Harper and Jenni Debbage come first to mind, but they aren't the only ones by a long way.

You mean I'm supposed to actually take the time to read them? These days all I have the time to do is skim them on the message boards. Once in a while one of them really grabs me. If I had to pick one story, I'd say Shayne Terry's 'Strong' was one of the best I've seen in a while.

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Kerth
Kerth
1. What shall we call you? Marcus
2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? Looks like I started in November 05
3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? Most of my fic is BtVS / Angel crossovers archived elsewhere, and other non-L&C. I've written well over 100 stories, most of them nothing to do with L&C.
4. Current stories you're working on? Everything's currently on hold while I work on an RPG. After that I will probably finish off my unfinished stuff before starting anything new.
5. Your first fic? Jenny The Vampire Slayer , a Buffy / Jenny Sparks (fairly obscure comic) crossover. But I had three professional fiction sales much earlier.
6. Piece of work you're proudest of? I'd have to say my RPG writing rather than fanfic, but it's difficult to point at a particular part of it.
7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Again, some of my RPG stuff... and there's a BtVS / Modesty Blaise crossover that has been on hold for a VERY long time.
8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Reasonably good grasp of the English language.
9. Your biggest weaknesses? Easily distracted, get blocked too often.
10. Preferred genre(s) to write? Action / adventure, humour
11. Genre(s) you won't write? Kidfic, p0rn (I suck at writing both)
12. What makes a fic good for you? A logical plot and a few surprises.
13. What ruins a fic for you? Mary-Sue insertions, really poor grammar, endless author notes within the story text, episode rewrites that don't add anything new.
14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Terry Pratchett.
15. The best fic you've read recently? Hard to say - Little Old Ladies by Vogonguard is a Buffy / Eve Dallas crossover I liked a lot, a VERY unusual version of the BtVS characters.

Later - forgot to add that re Q4 there wasn't any L&C in the pipeline when I put my fic on hold; however, there may be a Superman Returns / Dexter crossover if I can make it work.

Re Q15, I think that the L&C I've enjoyed most in the last few months was Strong, but I'm a sucker for Buffy crossovers so that isn't surprising.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Columnist
Columnist

Symbolicangel, Angel, Hey, you! I'm really not that picky.

A long time, although I didn't start posting on the message boards until June, 07. I first started dabbling in LnC fic back in 2001, I think it was.

No shows, but I have written Titanic fanfic. In fact, that's how I discovered fanfic. That was a momentous day! laugh

Um...I'm SUPPOSED to be working on Exposure. Plus, I have several ideas and a couple other stories that are waiting to be finished on my hard drive. I think my muse is waiting for the next millennium.

5. Your first fic?

My first fic I ever wrote was for Titanic. The first fic I ever posted for LnC was The Stranger, posted on the archive back in July, 02.

That's a hard question. I'm amazed that Exposure is turning out to be such a long story, so I'm really elated that I've been able to stick with it this far (I guess it was inevitable that the muse would take off eventually.) But I'm certain that I'm a lot more stubborn than my muse. Exposure will be finished...someday. I'm also really satisfied with how A Clandestine Disclosure turned out.

Since Exposure isn't finished yet, I won't count it. I did have a difficult time even starting my guess the author fic, Betting for Suspenders. Writing that story was like pulling teeth.

I like to think that my love of angst is a strength. I also have a somewhat twisted mind and am able to come up with all kinds of plot ideas.

Getting the muse to corporate long enough to finish a story. I also tend to be impatient. I'm learning to slow down a little so the plot has time to develop and doesn't just jump from A to D. But that might only make sense to me.

Pre-revelation. I love, love, LOVE revelations. I'll write just about anything that my muse finds interesting. But I prefer seasons 1 & 2.

I can't see myself writing a deathfic. But I won't say never. However, I will say never to slash, which thankfully, I haven't seen any of in this fandom.

Revelations, sexual tension...MAGIC. I'm not really sure what makes a story beyond good, but when I find it, and it's four in the morning and I'm still reading it, then I know it's good.

I'm not extremely picky. So far there has only been one instance when I was in the middle of a story and stopped reading, and it had to do with characterization. I don't expect the characters to be carbon copies of the ones we saw on the show, but if a character does something that makes me stop in the middle of a paragraph, that's what ruins a story for me.

I'm not going to name names, but I'd trade with any author who can put out one good story after the next and make it look so effortless. I'd gladly trade with an author who has a good, obedient little muse!

laugh Mine is off sipping fruity little drinks with umbrellas, laughing at me for trying to keep a story going without it. It's a battle of wills, I tell ya!

I've been more of a lurker lately and haven't had the time to get drawn into lengthy fics. I did re-read Erin Klinger and CC Aiken's The Kiss Off a while back. Now that's a story that has magic.

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's been really interesting to read what everyone has written. smile

c.

BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I agree with CC Malo, it's been really fun to read about all of the authors on the board. So many interesting and hilarious answers (especially from Ishmael - aka KotHE, Tank). Yous guys crack me up.

SheilaH said:
5. Your first fic?
"A Shot in the Dark,"
That was your *first* fic? Wow, I'm so very impressed. Loved that story.

BJ

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I am so glad I started this poll because it has been great to read everyone's answers. I am finding all sorts of new (to me) authors and stories to read!

It seriously makes me feel like I am among professional writers when I "listen" to what you guys have to say about your work. It's amazing. blush

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Labby, I think that you qualify for a current author. <cough, cough>When You Can't See the Wood<cough, cough>

Wendy, you crack me up! You call yourself defunct and then write a throw-away vignette in the same day. Anybody that can write something readable and immediately post it can never call herself defunct. (Besides, it was pretty funny.)

Tank, we've never believed you when you when you say you're "retired". You write almost as much now as you did before you "retired".

5. Your first fic?
"A Shot in the Dark," posted May 1996.
Eeks in gladness! That's you? I didn't recognize you since we all dropped our last names. I'm glad you're still around.

Elisabeth

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Labby, I think that you qualify for a current author. <cough, cough>When You Can't See the Wood<cough, cough>
LOL - thanks, Elisabeth. But, considering I wrote that one in 2006... laugh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm gasping, Labby. You mean you held out on the archive? Say it isn't so!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Of course. laugh The story was written for the Fundraiser DVD in 2006. There was an embargo on posting it anywhere else for one year after the release of the DVD. Once that year was over, I posted it here on the mbs and then submitted it to the Archive.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
See, sweetheart sloppy , I knew she wouldn't hold out on us.

My faith in Labby is restored...

James

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
My faith in Labby is restored...
<snork>

goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
How could I have ever doubted you?

Elisabeth

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Thanks for the compliment, BJ. "A Shot in the Dark" was my first fic, but I'd been writing off and on since I left college.

And yes, Elisabeth, I've been registered here for probably 4 years, but I'm almost exclusively a lurker on this board--otherwise, reading and responding to the fic consumes me. BTW, I'm also the Sheila that was on NaNoWriMo with you guys in November.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/me digs up old thread. Way back when (January) this thread started and I placed it onto my todo pile. Now that I actually have some stuff posted, I figure, reviving it would be a good idea.

Reading what you guys posted definitely provided me with some pointers as to what I should watch out for, not that I always managed. It also told me what things are hidden fics. Things I never noticed on a conscious level. Like Nan posting about using all the characters senses to establish their surroundings. And did you know how freaking hard that is?

So here goes my introduction smile

Michael. But I do respond to just Darth as well smile

That’s an easy one: January 2008.

Nope.

- Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned
- Don’t You Dare! (There is just an nfic-version around.)
- A contribution for the German Ficathon.
- A contribution for the Smutathon on the Dark Side of the Board.

5. Your first fic?
Fury

Before July, I would have said Fury, hands down. Now, I might go with Dare. Mainly because I never thought I could pull it off the way I seem to be pulling it off.

Fury. I never realized before I saw the FDK just what demands there could be on a story, things you would have to watch out for. And of course, there is the whole business of Dare sneaking up on me and Fluff is so much easier to write than angst.

I do seem to have a knack for finding new angles to LnC and do things that haven’t been done before as far as I know.

And sometimes, people even laugh at my attempts at humor in the story notworthy

Recently. Hm. No Play Like Home by said MLT wink

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
P
Columnist
Columnist
P

Either Poussin or Magaly, which is my real name. Or any other nickame is fine by me. My father calls me Fifi, my sister and my mother call me "Choupette". I don't really care how people call me, as long as I know they're talking to me. LOL

I started writing L&C Fanfic 4 or 5 years ago, but I haven't posted the firsts ones. I wrote them and then deleted them without showing them to anybody. The first I posted was "A Special Relationship". I think it was 3 years ago, but I'm not sure.

Yes. Before writing L&C fanfics, I was writing stories for other shows, but like the firsts L&C ones, I never posted them anywhere. I deleted them as soon as they were finished.

Oh my god. I'm currently working on a LOT of stories. The titles are :
- "Las Vegas Wedding" : a funny story started 4 years ago, but I'm never happy with the scenes I write so it's not near finished. I'm not even sure I will be able to finish it some day. It is set during Pheromone, my lovely
- "Fallen Hero" : one of my current priorities. It is a rewrite of The People against Lois Lane and Dead Lois Walking, but is is set during Madam Ex
- "Crossed Destinies" : a very angsty one, during the New Krypton Arc, but with the added problem of Tempus.
- "Switch" : a rewrite of the end of season 1 and the beginning of season 2 but with a living, free and vengeful Lex Luthor. He took over Superman's body thanks to Asabi, and Clark is emprisoned into Lex' body and is arrested by the police for Lex' crimes.
- "Truth and Justice" : a funny rewrite of Whine Whine Whine, with Mxyptlk.

I also have at least two other ideas of fanfic but I haven't started them yet, so I can't say I'm working on them. But as I am a very slow writer, anyway, it will take me years to finish all that and start posting them. I never start the posting before it is finished.

5. Your first fic?

Oh **** ! That question is even worse than the previous one. I just found back that story last month while I was tidying old things. I had completely forgotten about it, so I reread it and I threw it away. It was just awful! It was titled "Amour ondamné" = "Doomed love". I wrote it when I was 13, and there is no way I'm saying more about it. I'm so glad I never let anyone read it. I'm ashamed of it.

That's a question I like. wink

I'm proudest of "Somewhere...". I was trying very hard to work and finish "Las Vegas Wedding" but I couldn't concentrate because there was that idea in my mind all the time. I kept telling my brain "I'll write it later", but my muse just didn't want to wait, and I just had to write it right away. I'm usually a very slow writer but that story just asked to be written, so it took me only a week. I usually write in english and then translate it in french, my language, but I needed so bad to write it, and write it fast that I did the other way around. I wrote it first in french, and then I translated it in english. The translation took me almost a year and half! But I love that story. I'm really proud of it.

Without any hesitation, "Las Vegas Wedding". Started 4 years ago, it is only halfway done. And I have to thanks Kaethel and Anna B the Greek to have helped me write that first half. Kaethel helped me brainstorming 4 years ago, and Anna helped me by beta reading what I had already done, and giving me wonderful comments and ideas to go on. But now, I'm stuck again. I just hope it won't take me 4 more years to finish it.

I try to think every story through thoroughly before started the writing. I never start writing a story if I don't already know how it will end, and how I will get there. I try to put a lot of attention into the little details.

Without any hesitation, the language. I have trouble with the english. I am self teached, so grammar and tenses are a BIG problem when I write.

My two preferred genres to write are funny stories, and angsty ones.

Death fic. I will never write that. I want an happy ending to ALL my stories. In "Crossed Destinies", one of my in progress fanfic, Lois die, right at the beginning, but I swear everything is fine before the end, and she lives.

When I can see the characters doing the things.
When I'm laughing out loud in front of my computer, and the people around think I'm crazy.
When I'm crying while reading.

When a story doesn't finish well, I just go mad.
I don't like the crossovers with other shows, but it is okay if is is other DC characters, as long as I recognize Lois and Clark.

No one. I would never want to trade places with any writer. If I took the place of one of my favourite writer (as Wendy Richards, or Sue S, or Shayne, or StopQuitDont, or Jenni Debbage, or any other), she couldn't not write the wonderful stories I love so much anymore. And I don't want to take the place of the writers I'm not fan about. I'm me, and it's fine by me.

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't had a lot of time to read recently, so I just reread old stories that I had printed a long time ago, while in the bus to work.

But last month, I've read Coming of Age, by StopQuitDont, and I really loved that story. Some scenes make me cry so hard that I got a headache. And as I said, I love when stories makes me cry. It's a wonderful story.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Don't have the energy to answer the questions, and I don't really consider myself an author anymore.
Well, of course you are, Paul. You even got a 2008 Kerth nom...
I'm pretty much now a defunct writer as far as L&C is concerned
See above....

~~~~~

I'd die of embarrassment if anyone connected my unexplainable,out-of-nowhere n-fic post to my RL. People actually think I'm quiet and shy!
Hehe... People think I’m quiet and shy, too. But people that know me could connect my online name to my email and figure it out. But I’m okay with that... uh... at least I think I am.

~~~~~

Nan will do, although my name is really Nancy (big shock there).
Uhhh.... Duh... I was a surprise for me. You’re the only person I ‘know’ that has shortened Nancy to Nan. I actually figured your name was Nanette. What a nice surprise it was to find that we share the same name.

~~~~~

I’ll try to answer these questions later, but since Pousin’s answer is just before this post, I thought I’d answer the question about my first fanfic. I call this my first fanfic because it's my first complete fanfic. It was Superman\'s Wife: Perry\'s Vignette / TOC - vignette And was inspired by Magaly’s wonderful fic: Superman\'s Wife / TOC - Supermans\' Wife

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard