Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by rkn:
MrsMosely (Lisa),
My sister's middle name is Elisabeth and the spelling comes from Luke 1:5- "...and her name was Elisabeth." huh
Ditto for my wife.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
1. What shall we call you? Elisabeth, of course. (Which is a Biblical name, but only if you use the King James Version. If you use one of the newer translations, you'll find one of those new-fangled spellings.)

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? That's a tough question. I've written snippets here and there for almost ten years, but I've only FINISHED anything (meaning it is edited enough that I'll submit it to the archive) for the last year.

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? I did one story for Sue Thomas F B Eye, but other than that I've been pretty faithful to L&C.

4. Current stories you're working on? I'm doing a severe edit to a long episode adaptation of House of Luthor. I'll probably start posting it in February or March. I've also started an un-named work for the Crossover ficathon which crosses Inspector Gadget & Curious George with L&C.

5. Your first fic? The first fic I finished for the archive was Christmas at Luthor Manor. I'm not sure what the first thing I've ever posted to the boards was, since I never kept track of the snippets.

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? Probably my current work, the one coming in the next month or so.

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Walking Past the Sunset or Black Leather over Kansas. Both want to be written, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Humor

9. Your biggest weaknesses? Finishing--that's why I've posted so little. However, you can be assured that anything I post will get finished.

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? I've dabbled in a lot.

11. Genre(s) you won't write? N-fic

12. What makes a fic good for you? Touching the emotion--either WAFF or humor

13. What ruins a fic for you? I enjoyed L&C because it was a family show. When a fic moves into the realm of PG-13 and beyond, it doesn't seem to honor the original audience of the show. Yup, that's what ruins it for me.

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Nan

15. The best fic you've read recently? I'm enjoying getting ready for the Kerths with a lot of short stuff.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
6. Piece of work you're proudest of? A Kiss in the Snow even though it didn't recieve much FDK (LTVS got more)
Actually, that's a ton of feedback for that time of year. Remember, you could have a lot more lurkers who don't post feedback for every one who leaves a note year-round.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, despite the fact that any entry in the FoLCdom Directory of Authors would list me as Author (Defunct), I've enjoyed reading the other posts so much that I thought I'd join in anyway. Made me quite nostalgic for the Writer's Showcase interviews. I can remember I couldn't wait till the end of each week to go read a new one.

1. What shall we call you?

LabRat. Or any one of a number of variations that people seem comfortable using: Lab, Labby, Rat etc. I don't mind, so long as it's friendly. <g>

2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic?

Oh gosh, dates. Not good with dates. I found FoLCdom right after LNC was cancelled, so it would have to have been around then. I'm fairly sure I started with my series of PWP nfic romps. Has to have been around 1999, I think. My first 'serious' work was Caped Fear (nfic version available at Annesplace), so, yeah – long way around to say, 1999.

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows?

Oh gosh, yes. I began writing around about 8 years old. Firstly, it was animal stories, then I graduated to SFantasy, so over the years I've written for many of my favourites, from Blake's 7 to Star Wars, Robin of Sherwood, the list goes on. My great love right before LNC was the western series, The Young Riders. Wrote a ton of fic for that. But LNC was the first time my work went online. Everything before that was published in paper zines.

4. Current stories you're working on?

Er…moving swiftly on…

5. Your first fic?

Can't remember what my first fic was, but my first LNC fic was one of those nfic romps: Inside Scoop. The funny thing about that was that I'd never tackled nfic before, or even read it. I didn't have any serious objections to it, I just hadn't experienced any that were to my tastes. In fact, on a couple of short months before writing IS, I'd written a scene in my latest TYR fic where the hero got to place his hand on the heroine's breast while they kissed. I was in a cold sweat as I wrote it and finally had to remove it because I blushed whenever I read it. I have no clue what happened in the intervening months to go from that to a full blown nfic! I just know I woke up one morning with an idea in my head that was only ever going to work as an nfic, thought I'd give it a go and found it wasn't only easy as pie to do, but caused me no emotional freakouts whatsoever. Go figure.

6. Piece of work you're proudest of?

Hmmmmm. You know, that's a hard one. I guess I'd have to say Caped Fear. If only because I once got a feedback email on that one from a girl who said she had terminal cancer and that reading it had given her enormous pleasure and taken her mind off her problems and treatment. You have to be proud of that really. If something you've written has given just a moment's pleasure to someone else…well, what an achievement.

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing?

Everything half written and currently languishing on my hd.

8. Your greatest strengths as an author?

No clue at all on this one. I am desperately incapable of judging my own writing in any sense. I have zero idea what makes it work and, in fact, am pretty much constantly convinced it doesn't and deeply surprised when others seem to disagree and like it. laugh

9. Your biggest weaknesses?

Rewrites. I swear I'm the Rewrite Queen. I had to train myself to stop doing it so much because there's such a danger of just leeching out all that's good in a paragraph if you go over it too many times. But I still find myself itching to change just one last word. And I cannot move on unless that paragraph is just right. Then, six months later, I think…I should have changed….

That and procrastination.

10. Preferred genre(s) to write?

Angst, definitely. Hurt/Comfort. I like to include a lot of light and dark in my stories though. Trauma is weakened if you don't have humor to lighten it, now and then.

11. Genre(s) you won't write?

I don't think there's any genre I wouldn't write. It just depends on the plot I think of. There are genres that I don't generally read, just because their not to my taste – NG, for instance, barring a few exceptions – but I wouldn't not write a NG if I thought of a good plot for one.

12. What makes a fic good for you?

Just a cracking good story, well told. Humor, especially humorous dialogue – I do love good banter between characters. And lots of angst, of course. laugh

13. What ruins a fic for you?

The characters doing or saying something I consider OOC. If the author has a very good explanation for why they're doing it, I'm prepared to go along, but if it's just because of bad writing, then I'm outta there pronto. Otherwise, I'm a pretty sanguine reader.

14. Author you wish you could trade places with?

Definitely CC Aiken, who makes it all look so effortless. I have deep and abiding greenness for that woman's first drafts, which are practically as good as her finished story. (You don't want to see my first drafts. Seriously.)

15. The best fic you've read recently?

I haven't been reading fanfic for some time now, sadly, but it would definitely have to be DJ's Flawed. An amazing story which just didn't put a foot wrong and includes some of the most powerfully emotional scenes I've ever read in a fanfic.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
The best fic you've read recently? While doing some Kerth reading, I wound up re-reading all of C_A's lovely vignettes. I don't know that I could pick a favorite among them, but she has a way with words - and a way of packing so much into just a few perfectly chosen words - that I admire tremendously.
Aww, thank you blush . Unfortunately, my muse seems to have taken a leave of absence as of late. It's been so long since I've written anything that I think you can add me to the list of defunct authors. frown (And vidders, for that matter.)

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
dizzy

5. Your first fic?

A short little fluff piece called "A Cut Above The Rest".

Ooooh, that's really tough. Really, really tough. Can I put 2 down? Because I was really proud of "House of Cards" because it was the longest and most involved story I had written (by myself) but I am also proud of "50 First Revelations" which I managed to drag Sue S. into writing with me (and had a wonderful time writing with her.)

Hmmm... that's a hard one. I runnith off at the mouth, so I haven't really had a hard time finishing one. I guess I had a little trouble stamina-wise with House of Cards because it was so long. <shrug>

Hmmm... I'm prolific? LOLS! Seriously - I can't answer questions like this... Maybe that I at least "feel" like I can get into the character's heads a little (at least if I really know the character well)...

LOL... I can list more than one? How much time do you have? Hee hee... I forget to "describe" the surroundings with more detail - there's a fine line between not enough detail and too much detail (imho) Sometimes I have problems with the verb tenses switching around on me and other grammatical problems (as Lara and Sue can attest to.) Okay, I'll stop there before I irrevocably damage my self esteem. smile

I like a story with a strong A plot. I mean, don't get me wrong... B plot is important. Especially in a romantic show like LnC... and I love the fluff stories as much as the next person. But writing an A plot story is a "challenge" - at least to me. You have to come up with something interesting (dangerous, involved) and then find a way to "logically" move the characters along to get them to the climatic point of the whole plot. It's just fun. And I like being surprised as I go, at ways I find to tie things together. But, for me, the story has to have romance in it (even if - in the case of my Heroes story - I have to event a character to satisfy my inner romantic)

Slash? If that is considered a category. Sorry, but I won't go there...

Good A & B plots - balanced. Good characterization. Don't let them swing too far one way or the other. Not too much inner dialog, but enough that I know what's going on in the character's head. Inner dialog for me, needs to be balanced with good action and interactive dialog... along with good "description". Let me know what the character is doing while they are talking. Are they pushing hair back out of their eyes? Pacing around the room? Staring into the other person's eyes dreamily? LOL...

[13. What ruins a fic for you?

Really bad grammar/punctuation. I can take a little bit of it being off... but it's distracting if it's too bad. Way out of character, characterizations. I can suspend belief... but only to a point (and only if it's explained).

Ooooh, that's hard because there are so many good authors on here. But, I have to choose my queen, Sue. I learned so much from her. I was so unpolished and rough when she first found me... not that I'm not still... LOL! I'd love to be able to write in her shoes for a story. smile I know I sure enjoyed writing a story WITH her.

That's another difficult one because I haven't really been reading LnC fic recently. So I'm going to list my top 3 favs that I've read in my time spent here - in no particular order:

- Revisionist History (first story I ever beta'd - & showed me what an awesome world this is to play in)
- A Gift For Life (first story that made me cry multiple times - for real)
- If I Were You (... what can I say... it's just incredible)

And there are so, so, so many others.

Anyway, there's my answers... whether you really wanted them or not - LOL. I've missed you guys! <BIG GROUP HUG> I'll be back one day... I really will... Sorry, my muse is just having too much fun in Heroes land right now.

C-ya all again soon!

-- DJ <who has babbled on WAY TOO LONG... as usual>

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I hesitate to answer but it looks like there are others who just started posting in 07 so I'm not the only newbie here. wink 1. What shall we call you? rkn- I'd die of embarrassment if anyone connected my unexplainable,out-of-nowhere n-fic post to my RL. People actually think I'm quiet and shy!
2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? I only started writing down the story that had been churning for several years in my head in Feb. '07.
3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? No.
4. Current stories you're working on? Creation
5. Your first fic? Smallville Style
6. Piece of work you're proudest of? Smallville Style b/c I finally sat down and wrote and had the guts to share some of my most private thoughts and dreams. There is probably more of me in that story than my closest friends and family know about me.
7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Creation (obviously). I was hoping for some help in writing that one. I want them back together but don't want to hurry the reconciliation b/c resolving issues that big is just not easy and shouldn't be conveyed as such.
8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Not sure I have any!
9. Your biggest weaknesses? As hard as I try, the feelings I am trying to invoke in my readers are not always the ones that they receive. huh
10. Preferred genre(s) to write? Season 1&2
11. Genre(s) you won't write? New Kryptonians
12. What makes a fic good for you? Just the right amount of angst. Love can't just come easy to these two.
13. What ruins a fic for you? Kryptonians (other than Clark, of course), SuperDog, cat, etc. I just can't make myself keep reading then.
14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Anyone under 30!
15. The best fic you've read recently? I love just about anything by MLThompson. And I like Sue's stories. They are just the right amount of angsty. Two stories I go back to again and again, though, are "Gift for Life" and "What Makes a Man". Like I said, there must be some angst and in the end, L&C's love is stronger and better than it would have been without the angst.

thanks!

rkn
Columnist
Columnist
Beth works. I'm also partial to Princess Bethany. But anything goes really as long as it's not by my initials (I'll let you guys figure that one out)

August 2007. I don't remember the exact date, but that's what it says on the bottom of the box when I post something so that's what I'm going with.

3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? Nope. Haven't really done a lot of creative writing before this.

4. Current stories you're working on? Well, I'm pretty much finished with writing Honesty, although there are a few more parts that still need to be posted on the boards. I'm just starting to work on a sequel for that story.

5. Your first fic? An Early Revelation

6. Piece of work you're proudest of? As of now it's Honesty, but I have the sneaking suspicion that any piece I'm currently working on will be the one I'm most proud of. Hopefully I will continue to get better and better as a writer.

7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Since I'm only on fic #2, I haven't really come across any major challenges. I don't like to start writing unti I have a fairly clear idea of where the story is going, and then the feedback on the boards keeps me plugging away at it.

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? I don't know. How about you sample my writing and you can tell me? (yes, that was a blatant attempt to get more feedback. What can I say, I'm an addict)

9. Your biggest weaknesses? Hmmm, I guess one thing is that I tend to have a very bad instinct when it comes to the quality of my writing, especially when it comes to humor. I tend to write stuff I like or think is kinda funny, but I have no idea if it's actually any good. (which means that people should leave me feedback and tell me if it's good or bad!)

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? Anything, really. I did one episode rewrite, and now I'm working through the NextGen world, and who knows what's next?

11. Genre(s) you won't write? Nfic. I don't read it, and I'm sure I would be very bad at writing it if I tried

12. What makes a fic good for you? Nothing really concrete. Just good writing.

13. What ruins a fic for you? Erm... bad writing? I have read fic that just didn't work for me, but I don't know if there was a specific thing that turned me off. Maybe if I can't identify to the characters (which I think comes back to writing quality)

14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Nobody. If I traded places with any of the amazing authors out there then I would have to put in all the effort to write such good stuff. Much better to just kick back in my chair and read all the good writing

15. The best fic you've read recently? Hmm... I don't know really. I haven't had much time to read fic lately and there's so many good stories out there. I just can't decided!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
All right, even though - like LabRat - I'm pretty much now a defunct writer as far as L&C is concerned (though I won't rule out dropping in with a drabble every now and then if there's a new challenge hint, hint), wink I'll bite. Though, if anyone cares to look, I also have an interview up at the Writer's Showcase. Hey, you know, someone should volunteer to resurrect those interviews and do the newer authors!

Hey, you? Oi, you over there? Oh, you mean a name. Right. Well, Wendy works pretty well most of the time. razz No further comment needed! Too much head-hopping - please, only change point of view when you start a new scene! And never, ever, change POV mid-paragraph. Breaking the fourth wall - eg a reference to the actor who plays the character. Oh, and something you get a lot on some other fanfic archives: review-begging and self-promotion. Anything saying 'read my fic, it's great!' or 'please, please review', or worse still, 'I'll only continue if I get enough reviews'... I'm out of there. grumble

CC Aiken or Dave. I'm in awe of them, though for different reasons. CC is so incredibly talented at tight plotting, dialogue and humour - and her observations of the characters are absolutely spot-on. She's easily one of the best writers this fandom has ever had. And Dave has a gift for words. His fics are short - he writes the best drabbles I've ever seen anyone write - but they pack a punch. If you don't believe 100 words can punch you in the gut, read some of his Doctor Who drabbles. They're beautiful and often painful. He paints pictures with his words, and there's never a single word wasted in his writing. Sparse, but absolutely gorgeous. I've learned a lot from him and he's absolutely my mentor when it comes to drabbles.

Suppose it has to be L&C? I really don't read much L&C fic at all now, so if I mention anything it would only be because I just chanced to read it, like CC's recent nfic. But I looked back in the TOC and found Dave's Wedding Vows and I remember that it left me choked up. And, too, it's such a striking example of Dave's incredible skill with words. Go and read it, if you haven't. It's beautiful, painful, haunting and brilliant.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hey, you know, someone should volunteer to resurrect those interviews and do the newer authors!
I did that some time back. Last year, maybe? Can't recall. But I stopped meantime because there's currently a bit of a backlog of interviews still to be uploaded, I think. Once Annette has found time to upload the ones she has pending, I'll be happy to organise more. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I'm not sure I should be posting here. After all, I am retired from writing... sort of.

What shall we call you? Call me Ismael... No, wait, that's someone else. You can call me KoTHE; King of The Happy Ending... or Tank.

How long have you been writing L&C fanfiction? A long time. I go back to the turn of the century.

Have you ever written fics for other shows? There is fanfiction for other shows? Really?

Current stories you're working on? None, zip, nada, nothing, my mind's a blank.

Your first fic? I'm old, I don't think I can remember that far back. It might have been "A Chat with Lois". I think the little short that started off the 'Future' series was my third or fourth effort.

Piece of work you're proudest of? I've written a few songs I really like, and I've made some store fixtures that have worked pretty well. Maybe it's the layouts I've devised for our comic book conventions. Then there was that first story where I managed to convince Lois to cut her hair.

Piece of work you had the hardest time finishing? The 'Future Series'; because the dang thing wouldn't end.

Your greatest strengths as a writer? In all honesty I've always felt I was pretty good with dialog.

Your biggest weakness? My grammar stinks. Just ask my former super secret mystery beta reader.

Preferred genre(s) to write? Lois haircut stories.

Genre(s) you won't write? Since I'm so innocent and naive I won't write nfic. Since I hate children I won't write anything involving the little monsters. Jimmyfic.

What makes a fic good for you? A good haircut for Lois.

What ruins a fic for you? A missed opportunity for a good haircut for Lois.

Writer you wish you could trade places with? Currently? Someone who lives someplace warm.

The best fic you've read recently? You mean we're supposed to actually read these fics?

Tank (who also has an 'interview' on the old writer's showcase, but is afraid most of the information is quite dated)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey, you know, someone should volunteer to resurrect those interviews and do the newer authors!
I did that some time back. Last year, maybe? Can't recall. But I stopped meantime because there's currently a bit of a backlog of interviews still to be uploaded, I think. Once Annette has found time to upload the ones she has pending, I'll be happy to organise more.
Speaking of the backlog . . . I think my interview is in there, but by now it's probably out of date as well. Any chance I might be allowed to re-work it before Annette find time to upload it?

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Five Times Lois Didn’t Get Her Hair Cut... and one time she did

What makes a fic good for you? A good haircut for Lois.
What ruins a fic for you? A missed opportunity for a good haircut for Lois.
- Tank

“Lois -”

“Sorry, Chief! Gotta run, I’m late for my hair appointment. Thought it was time I went for something shorter, y’know.”

“Lois, Superman’s giving a press conference in five minutes.”

“On it, Chief!”

~>~>~>

“How about dinner tonight, Lois?”

“Oh, I’m sorry, Clark. I’ve only just this second booked an appointment to get my hair cut. You have NO IDEA how hard it is to get an appointment with Julio. He’s booked up weeks in advance!”

“Ah. See, I was kinda thinking... this little Italian place, you know, the one with those decadent chocolate desserts...”

“Really? Oh, well, I always said Julio’s overrated anyway.”

~>~>~>

“Step on it! I’m gonna be late for my appointment!”

“What d’you expect me to do, lady? This is Metropolis! We get traffic jams, that’s just the way it is.”

“I don’t care what you do! Just get me to Style by Design in the next three minutes, or -”

*CRASH*

“Somebody call an ambulance!”

~>~>~>

“Hand it over, lady.”

“You’ve got to be kidding! Get out of my way. I’ve got an appointment -”

“You wanna live to see the next five minutes, lady, hand over your purse.”

“I’ve put more scum like you in jail than you’ve had - OW!”

“Warned you. Hand it over. And you’d better hope that fancy-dancy hair salon place runs a tab.”

~>~>~>

“...and news just in: part of the west end of the downtown area has been completely destroyed by an explosion. Authorities are still trying to determine a cause. Several businesses on North Third Avenue have been destroyed or very badly damaged, including the Bank of Metropolis branch, Tad Williams Insurance Brokers and Sharp Cuts...”

~>~>~>

“So, how does it look, Clark?”

“You look beautiful. But then you always look beautiful.”

“No, how does it *really* look? Be honest with me, Clark. None of this telling me I’ll always look beautiful to me because you don’t want to hurt my feelings. Is this a disaster on the scale of cutting all my head off and dyeing my scalp purple, or is it just a bad hair day? And if it’s somewhere in between just how bad is it? You know what, if I call now I can probably get another appointment to have it fixed up - You’re hesitating, Clark. Why are you hesitating?”

“Honestly, Lois? Because your hair doesn’t look one bit different to me than when you walked out of here two hours, and probably a hundred bucks, ago.”

“Men!”

~ end

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Features Writer
Features Writer
Writer you wish you could trade places with? Currently? Someone who lives someplace warm.
Ah come on Tank, aren't you looking forward to the Ice Carnival this weekend???? laugh goofy

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
Blogger
Blogger
HI!! grumble

8. Your greatest strengths as an author? being able to describe an event without actually having to say the words? inventing characters? I am WAY too picky about verb usage and spelling and grammar and run on sentences and making things plural when they shouldn't be, etc...

9. Your biggest weaknesses? Real life... oh and the end of the Justice League murdered my muse or she quit... either way... I have a habit of creating characters...I am WAY too picky about verb usage and spelling and grammar and run on sentences and making things plural when they shouldn't be, etc...

10. Preferred genre(s) to write? any? all?

11. Genre(s) you won't write? nfic... trust me you do not want to go there...

12. What makes a fic good for you? description. I have to be able to see it.

13. What ruins a fic for you? grammar and spelling... oh and missing words, that drives me nutters

ok you do realize that that means I have to be like a decent author to begin with right?

15. The best fic you've read recently? oh geez, ONE?!?! umm...
The Kid by Mercy (Can't wait for the next chapter) Darkest Dreams by SmirkyRaven
Family Hour by ShaneT
Honesty by Beth S
A Gift for Life by StopQuitDont & Jenni Debbage

Here…poke that.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Sheila, although my nick is usually SheilaH to distinguish me from other Sheila's.

I started my first L&C story within two weeks after I got on-line (February 1996) and realized that there was a place to "publish" such stories.

No, although I've written some alt-world real person fic (George and Lynn stories) under the name of echo.

I'm editing "Without a Trace," my DVD fundraiser story, to provide more setting details and more show/less tell. I'm also working on my NaNoWriMo novel, which is an original suspense/speculative fiction story with romantic elements.

5. Your first fic?
"A Shot in the Dark," posted May 1996.

Usually, I like the story I'm working on most, but I've been pleasantly surprised when I've gone back to re-read some of my earlier pieces. I've also been unpleasantly surprised by what I now consider an unacceptable amount of head-hopping. I guess that means I'll probably like WoaT most when I'm done editing. smile

The non-L&C romance novel I mentioned in my showcase interview back in 1999. I began it in 1996 or 1997 and finally finished it in December 2003. Working on that and a G&L novel pretty much pre-empted my L&C fic from May 2000 until October 2005.

Probably that I'm a good storyteller. I don't write beautiful prose or sparkling dialog or emotionally powerful scenes, but I write stories that seem to draw readers in, that make them want to keep reading, that are generally suspenseful and emotionally satisfying. I also seem to have a decent ear for the characters' voices and a good sense of pacing.

My writing weaknesses are a tendency to tell instead of show and to leave scenes less than fully developed. As a writer, I suffer from procrastination and a lack of discipline, as well as being an almost terminally slow writer. That's how I can have finished the first draft of WoaT in January 2006 and still be editing it 2 years later.

Drama, I'd guess. My favorite story to write has a good A-plot (that is tightly integrated with and drives a B-plot that illuminates something in Lois & Clark's relationship. The story's got to end well and have enough WAFFs that readers aren't left feeling depressed. My personal preference is for stories that have some kind of WHAM in them, too, just to make the WAFFs sweeter in contrast.

Otherwise, my favorite genre is superfutures: anything that picks up from where the series left off. I don't particularly like to mess with canon because, for me, that's a story about an Alt-L&C, not the L&C I fell in love with. So to keep from stepping on canon, I tend to write stories that take place after the series ended. I wrote stories for each of the fan-driven seasons (TUFS, S5, S6), and my latest one basically continues the S5-S6 continuity.

Although I used to write nfic versions of all my stories, I don't write nfic anymore. I'm not interested in cross-overs, mostly because they spend too much time on characters I don't know and don't care about.

Lois and Clark have to be in character; that's the deal-breaker. After that, the language is a pleasure to read; the narrative is scenic (i.e. the story is told in scenes that the reader can visualize rather than in long stretches of introspection); and humor laces either scenes or dialog. There is enough suspense of one kind or another to keep me turning pages, yet the story also has a good sense of pacing and gives the reader a break after some really intense scenes. The dialogue not only sounds natural to the ear, but also sounds like the characters did on the show and either moves the story along or illuminates character in some way. The fic also has to end happily.

L&C being OOC or the writer exclusively blaming one of the two for the problems with their relationship ruins a fic for me. In addition, as a college composition instructor, I have to read enough poorly written, incoherent sentences that I won't waste my precious leisure time reading them in fics. I don't like stories where the characters move from irreconcilable differences to "I love you forever, happily ever after" in just a few pages, so I'm not keen on a lot of vignettes.

I like being myself, but I'd sure like to have Nan's plot creativity and prolificacy.

I can't list a single best. I like the ones during the past year or so by Nan Smith, ML Thompson, DJ, Sue S., CC Aiken. I'm sure there are others, too, but those are the ones that come to mind immediately.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Nan will do, although my name is really Nancy (big shock there).

Since 1999. I discovered the Fanfic Archive and read feverishly through it, making up for the lack of anything LnC since the show ended, and idly remarked to my daughter that I thought I might be able to write as well as some of the work I saw there, but I was a little nervous about such a step. She dared me to try (I have a lot of trouble resisting a dare) and so I did.

No. Outside of some really bad Star Trek fic in my teens. I threw it away, with good reason.

At the moment I'm working on a sequel for 'The Hottest Team in Town', and dabbling in 'Home: Murder by Earthlight', as well as occasionally fiddling with 'Halloween 2: The Other Side of the Mirror' and a sequel to 'The Newlywed Game'. And then there's the next Dagger Story, when inspiration palls on the others.

5. Your first fic?
Dagger of the Mind

You must be joking. I feel good about a number of stories but I don't know that 'proud' is the word I'd use.

Actually, once I really get going I usually don't have much trouble finishing. The problem is starting. The only time I had any trouble was in 2006 when I stalled for months on Supercop 2 and Home: Obsession. It wasn't for lack of knowing where the stories were supposed to go but more a case of being under so much stress with real life issues that I didn't really have the time or energy to write.

Uhh -- A-plots, usually complicated ones. And I think I'm pretty good with characterizations. I read a book years ago about writing fiction where they quoted an established author. He advised would-be authors to show the action, not tell, and to include impressions of all the main character's senses when establishing a setting. He also said to include details in order to make it come to life. I remembered that and have tried to stick to that advice ever since.

Interpersonal relationships. But I'm working on that. The other one is commas <g>. Just ask any of my editors.

Anything with a strong A-Plot. Preferably complicated.

I won't write deathfics. And Nfic -- make that *can't* write it. Too much early conditioning as a child. <g>

It's like art. I can't really say what it is about a good fic that I like. Usually it's a combination of factors, but I know when I read one. And a good ending is a must. Kill off Lois or Clark (or any good main character) and I don't want to read it. Real life can be harrowing enough. I don't need to read about tragedies for entertainment. There's plenty of that in the news.

A bad ending. Bad grammar that isn't intentionally bad. It jerks me right out of the story. Lois, Clark or any of the established cast badly out of character.

Heavens, I don't know. There are a lot of very good authors out there. I don't think I'd want to trade with any of them but I wouldn't mind acquiring some of their talent. Sheila Harper and Jenni Debbage come first to mind, but they aren't the only ones by a long way.

You mean I'm supposed to actually take the time to read them? These days all I have the time to do is skim them on the message boards. Once in a while one of them really grabs me. If I had to pick one story, I'd say Shayne Terry's 'Strong' was one of the best I've seen in a while.

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Kerth
Kerth
1. What shall we call you? Marcus
2. How long have you been writing L&C fanfic? Looks like I started in November 05
3. Have you ever written fic for other shows? Most of my fic is BtVS / Angel crossovers archived elsewhere, and other non-L&C. I've written well over 100 stories, most of them nothing to do with L&C.
4. Current stories you're working on? Everything's currently on hold while I work on an RPG. After that I will probably finish off my unfinished stuff before starting anything new.
5. Your first fic? Jenny The Vampire Slayer , a Buffy / Jenny Sparks (fairly obscure comic) crossover. But I had three professional fiction sales much earlier.
6. Piece of work you're proudest of? I'd have to say my RPG writing rather than fanfic, but it's difficult to point at a particular part of it.
7. Piece of work you had the hardest time writing/finishing? Again, some of my RPG stuff... and there's a BtVS / Modesty Blaise crossover that has been on hold for a VERY long time.
8. Your greatest strengths as an author? Reasonably good grasp of the English language.
9. Your biggest weaknesses? Easily distracted, get blocked too often.
10. Preferred genre(s) to write? Action / adventure, humour
11. Genre(s) you won't write? Kidfic, p0rn (I suck at writing both)
12. What makes a fic good for you? A logical plot and a few surprises.
13. What ruins a fic for you? Mary-Sue insertions, really poor grammar, endless author notes within the story text, episode rewrites that don't add anything new.
14. Author you wish you could trade places with? Terry Pratchett.
15. The best fic you've read recently? Hard to say - Little Old Ladies by Vogonguard is a Buffy / Eve Dallas crossover I liked a lot, a VERY unusual version of the BtVS characters.

Later - forgot to add that re Q4 there wasn't any L&C in the pipeline when I put my fic on hold; however, there may be a Superman Returns / Dexter crossover if I can make it work.

Re Q15, I think that the L&C I've enjoyed most in the last few months was Strong, but I'm a sucker for Buffy crossovers so that isn't surprising.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Columnist
Columnist

Symbolicangel, Angel, Hey, you! I'm really not that picky.

A long time, although I didn't start posting on the message boards until June, 07. I first started dabbling in LnC fic back in 2001, I think it was.

No shows, but I have written Titanic fanfic. In fact, that's how I discovered fanfic. That was a momentous day! laugh

Um...I'm SUPPOSED to be working on Exposure. Plus, I have several ideas and a couple other stories that are waiting to be finished on my hard drive. I think my muse is waiting for the next millennium.

5. Your first fic?

My first fic I ever wrote was for Titanic. The first fic I ever posted for LnC was The Stranger, posted on the archive back in July, 02.

That's a hard question. I'm amazed that Exposure is turning out to be such a long story, so I'm really elated that I've been able to stick with it this far (I guess it was inevitable that the muse would take off eventually.) But I'm certain that I'm a lot more stubborn than my muse. Exposure will be finished...someday. I'm also really satisfied with how A Clandestine Disclosure turned out.

Since Exposure isn't finished yet, I won't count it. I did have a difficult time even starting my guess the author fic, Betting for Suspenders. Writing that story was like pulling teeth.

I like to think that my love of angst is a strength. I also have a somewhat twisted mind and am able to come up with all kinds of plot ideas.

Getting the muse to corporate long enough to finish a story. I also tend to be impatient. I'm learning to slow down a little so the plot has time to develop and doesn't just jump from A to D. But that might only make sense to me.

Pre-revelation. I love, love, LOVE revelations. I'll write just about anything that my muse finds interesting. But I prefer seasons 1 & 2.

I can't see myself writing a deathfic. But I won't say never. However, I will say never to slash, which thankfully, I haven't seen any of in this fandom.

Revelations, sexual tension...MAGIC. I'm not really sure what makes a story beyond good, but when I find it, and it's four in the morning and I'm still reading it, then I know it's good.

I'm not extremely picky. So far there has only been one instance when I was in the middle of a story and stopped reading, and it had to do with characterization. I don't expect the characters to be carbon copies of the ones we saw on the show, but if a character does something that makes me stop in the middle of a paragraph, that's what ruins a story for me.

I'm not going to name names, but I'd trade with any author who can put out one good story after the next and make it look so effortless. I'd gladly trade with an author who has a good, obedient little muse!

laugh Mine is off sipping fruity little drinks with umbrellas, laughing at me for trying to keep a story going without it. It's a battle of wills, I tell ya!

I've been more of a lurker lately and haven't had the time to get drawn into lengthy fics. I did re-read Erin Klinger and CC Aiken's The Kiss Off a while back. Now that's a story that has magic.

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's been really interesting to read what everyone has written. smile

c.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard