Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
One thing that so significant about his fandom is the sheer quality of most of the stories. In most other fandoms, you have to sift through a lot of gilt and worse, before you strike gold.
I was wondering though, among all the wonderful stories archived here over the years…which stories in this fandom would you describe as being “epics”, “classics”, “staples” and “must-reads”, with a clear conscience? The very best of the very best, in other words? (both nfic and gfics)
It doesn’t matter whether it won a Kerth, or even whether or not it was nominated for one. In your opinion, what are the very precious few you could hail as a true “classic”?
I was thinking maybe we could start a thread cataloguing them. I’ve seen it done on some other fansites, and it really saves the newbies a lot of time.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'd put in When Larry Met Charlie by Wendy Richards, Shades of Grey by C. Leuch, and definitely Masques by Doc Klein's LabRat.

Seasons 5 and season 6 are good too, as far as series go.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Whenever I feel like reading a fanfic I've already read, I usually go to Kaethel's "Rapture in Metropolis," or some of her other fics.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Top Banana
Top Banana
Why not just go to the Kerths site, and start with those? They go back for several years - to 1998, i think and are a guide to what many people have enjoyed. As well, because of the diversity of the categories, you'll get a of range of story types. For example, if it's angsty relationship fics you like, you'll find a category for that.

That way we don't get into these lists that exclude so many writers and can be discouraging for those writers who are overlooked. smile

c. (here's the link to the site)

The Kerth Awards

Top Banana
Top Banana
There are so many. I have been to many many fandoms and read a LOT of fanfiction. This fandom by FAR has the best writers in it. That is why it makes it so hard to pick classics because my definitive list would end up with me saying... "You know this list is taking way to long to type... just read them all!"

Haha, but this is one of my favorites:

"When the World Finds Out" - CC Aiken (nfic and gfic versions are out there of this one)

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There are so many that are good, but there is a couple of series that always come to mind for me and that I'm very fond of:

It Happened One (Super) Night and It's a Super Life by Wendy Richards

and

the Home series by Nan Smith.

I absolutley love the Home series. It's set in the future.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I absoluitely agree with almost everything by Wendy Richards, but very especially "It happened one super night" and "It's a super life".

Then there is of course Momentum by Kathy Brown
Anybody\'s Baby and the Playing... series by Annie M.

They are really waffy all of them - though I have some wham/a-plot stories I love very much ( In a dark time (Becky Bain), Rage (Lynn M), When my world devides and shatters (Peace), Without consent (Wendy Richards)) , skipping all action scenes even in LnC I might not be the right person to ask wink

Well, looking at my must-read-authors list, I find (apaprt from the ones I mentioned)
CC Aiken, Yvonne Connell, Demi, Sheila Harper, Pam Jernigan, Meredith Knight, LabRat...)

And: Don't forget Camping with Clark thumbsup laugh

Best,

Jana
(who started so many stories by LabRat but had to put aside most of them because of my lack of this incredibly huge variety of English vocab)

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
Top Banana
Top Banana
I personally love "Pen Friends" by Wendy. ^_~ But I can't really pick any of her stories since they are all my favorites.

Man picking favorites of the stories in the archive are like trying to pick your favorite child. Pretty impossible since you love them all in different ways. ^_~

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
(who started so many stories by LabRat but had to put aside most of them because of my lack of this incredibly huge variety of English vocab)
Well, this is a fascinating comment. laugh I wasn't aware that I used words that were much different from any other author out there or anything more than common, everyday English.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Off the top of my head:

Lab's Masques, Epiphany, and Shape of My Heart
Debby Stark's Dawning series
Irene Dutch's Firestorm series
Kathy Brown's Momentum and When Friends Become Lovers series
Kaylle's In Dreams
CC Aiken's Lois Unbuttoned and In A Better Place
Zoomway's 12:01 and Counter Clark-wise
Wendy Richards's Carbon Copy and Penfriend
Raconteur's Lifeflight
Chris Carr's Extraordinary Man series
Pam Jernigan's President Kent series
Plan9Lives's On The Run (forever incomplete...)

I also suggest checking out the works of Yvonne Connell, Tracey, Kaethel, Nan Smith, LynnM, Erin Klingler, and Crystal Wimmer.

There's more, but I haven't done the reading I should. Never finished Tank's Future series. Never read Shadowfax's Once and Future King. Got a huge backlog reading list...

Oh, and speaking of FoLC classics... I came across the name of Rhen Brink while trying to refresh my memory. Now there is a classic. Maintainer of the original ficlist. I wouldn't be here if not for her. She is missed.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Trying to think of the older ones...

Meet Me in Kansas City by Chris Mulder.

A Shot in the Dark by Sheila Harper.

Heartbeat by Jennifer Baker.

Not to self-promote or anything, but I do have a list of fanfic recommendations on my website -- it's been sadly neglected but if you want older stories it should do just fine laugh

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The Unfinished Fifth Season. smile

Would never have found the rest of fanfic without it!

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There're so many awesome stories... Besides the ones above, my best-of-the-very-best list is:

- A Gift for Life by StopQuitDont and Jenni Debbage
- Are You Lonesome Tonight...? by Doc. Klein's LabRat (with nfic version)
- Burden of Conscience by Raconteur27
- Burnout by Doc. Klein's LabRat (with nfic version)
- Cause and Effect by Thompson, ML
- City by the Sea by StopQuitDont *
- Faux Pas by Wendy Richards
- Mxysplit or All Mixed Up by Sheila Harper (there's gfic version, but I do love the nfic version)
- Purity by Yvonne Connell (with nfic version)
- Rest and Reproduction by Meredith Knight (with nfic version)
- Revisionist History by Sue S. (just nfic version)
- Sugar & Spice by Doc. Klein's LabRat (with nfic version)
- Super Stud by ML Thompson (with nfic version)
- The Long Road Home by Erin Klingler
- The Next Step by Sue S. (just nfic version)
- What are Friends For? by StopQuitDont (just nfic version)
- When You Needed Me Most by Erin Klingler
- And overall Faustain Bargain by Sue S. (the nfic version is absolutelly the best of the very best) dance

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
My top two are Ad Astra Per Aspera by Becky Bain and The Butterfly Legacy by Lynn M. But there are dozens of others that I think have and will continue to stand the test of time, which is what defines a classic.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Columnist
Columnist
I love CC Malo's Recognition Series. It's great for rereading - lots of subtle details and great moments.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Features Writer
Features Writer
At the risk of sounding like a broken record because of posting the same list:

Going, Going, Gone by The Gorn

I Was Just Thinking by TJ Gruffs

Both are nfics.

I would also like to second others mentioned: The Butterfly Legacy (which is absolutely breathtaking), Ad Astra Per Aspera (which is equally daring and wonderfully written) and The Next Step (which is funny and witty--hands down the best Lois-first-person-POV I've read).

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, this is a fascinating comment. I wasn't aware that I used words that were much different from any other author out there or anything more than common, everyday English.
Yes, LabRat, I must agree that your command of English vocabulary is impressive. It's never stopped me from reading any of them, but I can see how it could be a bit of a problem with non-native English speakers. Another person that I think has an unusual command of the language is Tank Wilson.

Oh, and speaking of FoLC classics... I came across the name of Rhen Brink while trying to refresh my memory. Now there is a classic. Maintainer of the original ficlist. I wouldn't be here if not for her. She is missed.
Is she missed because she no longer participates, or is she missed because she is no longer with us in a more permanent way?

Oh, there are so many good fics listed here. I wish I was like Darcy and could get through the whole archive in four months. I guess I need to take a speed reading class... Haha

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Is she missed because she no longer participates, or is she missed because she is no longer with us in a more permanent way?
She passed on a couple of years ago. Talk about your fanfic classics. She left fanfic just a couple of years before I jumped into it, but from the talk I heard, it makes me wonder how much of all of this would be here and available without her efforts...

But enough musing for now. Back I go to post-modern design.
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by ccmalo:
Why not just go to the Kerths site, and start with those? They go back for several years - to 1998, i think and are a guide to what many people have enjoyed.

Ah...I forgot to metion that I'm also talking about WIPs. Some really great stories are floating around unarchived here, Lynn M's Haunting Eden being a case in point. Who knows, being listed might encourage the authors to finish them.
Besides, I've seen some really great stories not receive so much as a nomination, and they tend to get overlooked. That's why I'm asking for personal recommendations, instead of just sticking to the Kerth lists.

That way we don't get into these lists that exclude so many writers and can be discouraging for those writers who are overlooked. smile [/QB]
I'm afraid I disagree. This is only an informal list, after all, and I'm sure some writers won't be offended at not being mentioned if they've already received some recognition at the Kerths. Anyway, this thread is about the personal opinions of those who happen upon it, and not an official consensus.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
I'm afraid I disagree. This is only an informal list, after all, and I'm sure some writers won't be offended at not being mentioned if they've already received some recognition at the Kerths
I don't think this is really true wink . We writers can be very thin-skinned. When I see a list like this, I'm secretly hoping someone will have mentioned something of mine, regardless of whether or not I've won an award or whatever (and thanks, Paul, for mentioning ID wink ).

This is not to say that we can't have lists like this. I just wanted to point out that you can't underestimate the fragility of writers' egos wink

In the meantime, some of my all-time favorites that haven't been mentioned yet (not at all an exhaustive list, just those that come to mind at the moment):

- Just about anything by CC Aiken, but especially In a Better Place and The Late Great Lois Lane.
- When Friends Become Lovers by Kathy Brown and Demi, and the sequel When Lovers Become More by Kathy Brown
- Meet Me In Kansas City by Chris Mulder.
- Echoes of the Past or the Without a Superman series by ML Thomson
- Tryst by Pam Jernigan
- Smallville 39 by Kaethel

Kaylle

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard