Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#150110 03/24/06 09:08 AM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hi,
I've been reading lcfanfic here and on Annesplace for some six months now, and I was just wondering what is left?
Are there even more stories at Zoomways board, or do all those stories go into the archive too?

Also I've some difficulty getting a handle on the Nfic.
Are there a comprehensive list of nFic awards by year and category somewhere?

And btw the quality of the writing overall is just mindblowing, is this standard for fanfic? Because if it is professional writers should should have trouble making a living.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
#150111 03/24/06 09:15 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
It depends. If you're talking about the archive at Annesplace, no, they're not all there, although a lot of them are. If you're talking about the Fanfic Archive, http://lcfanfic.com/ , mostly everything that isn't nfic winds up there eventually. There are a few, however, that didn't. You can check through the TOC on Zoomway's board to see if there are any that you've missed.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#150112 03/24/06 11:08 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
the quality of the writing overall is just mindblowing, is this standard for fanfic? Because if it is professional writers should should have trouble making a living.
Well, it's standard for *this* fandom... and there are talented writers all over the place, but lots of other fandoms do a lot worse, in aggregate. I think that's because we encourage things like spelling and grammar and comprehensible plots... it's sort of the broken-window theory of story quality. If you keep the small things in line, the bigger things get better, too.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#150113 03/24/06 11:17 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Have you found the two indexes? It lists the stories and where you can find them:
Nfic:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Meteor/7378/nficindex.html
Gfic:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Meteor/7378/lnc.html
The Index Crew is very good at keeping track of stories.
And you most definitely need to find the Archive. They are implementing new search software too.
http://www.lcfanfic.com/
I've found that some of these stories surpass published novels in demonstrating their writing skills.
Happy reading! hail
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#150114 03/24/06 09:21 PM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Thank you for your replies.

Nan,

You can check through the TOC on Zoomway's board to see if there are any that you've missed.
I can do that. But it’s kind of difficult to get a overview with all those textlinks. Lots of duplication with the archive and no descriptions.

I’m kind of reluctant to register to a dozen different sites. It makes me realize how obsessively much I have read. smile1

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
#150115 03/25/06 03:31 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, if you've found the Archive, then you've found the majority of the PG fic out there. smile Other than stories posted at fanfiction.net by people who don't seem to know that the Archive exists, everything seems to end up on the Archive. Stories posted here in instalments end up there once they're completed, edited and so on. smile

As for nfic, there isn't as comprehensive an archive. Annesplace is an author-based archive and any nfic writer can ask to have their work uploaded there, but not everyone has. Annette (the webmaster) does also host PG fic by the nfic authors she hosts, but she doesn't attempt to be a comprehensive PG archive - it's more a generous courtesy to the nfic authors who've also written PGfic. smile

To the best of my knowledge, Zoomway hasn't ever written nfic - I seem to remember seeing her comment once that she just couldn't do it. It's not as easy as it might look. wink The vast majority of nfic authors that I can think of are on Annesplace.

As for the two message boards, there's a bit of history there, but it's ancient history now and honestly not worth revisiting. The distinction, mainly, though is that Zoomway's message boards focus on the actors and their careers and lives - so if you're a Dean or Teri fan that's the place to go to talk about what they're doing these days, rave about Desperate Housewives, post photos of their kids and so on. These message boards focus on fanfic. You'll have noticed that a lot of people happily coexist on both. smile

Anyway, welcome, and I hope you enjoy the fanfic! Do check out the TOCs, because that's how you'll find all parts of stories posted on these boards. Don't miss an outstanding story by CC Aiken called In A Better Place - so far these boards are the only place you can read it. goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#150116 03/25/06 03:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Re the indexes:
I don’t think so, but they seem popular, since I get an error that says they have exceeded their data transfer limit.
Hmmm. both work fine for me. I tried them before I posted the url. Is there something on your end?
Annesplace uses the term Archive, but the one we're talking about is different. That is the biggest amount of fanfic there is. Right now there are 2,723 stories there (all G rated), some of them novel length. If you've read all that, there's not much more you can get except read real time here and on Zoomway's site.
[Linked Image]
As to registering on different nfic sites, there is no choice if you want to read nfic. They have to be password protected or we can't have them. My browser software remembers my passwords, so it's no inconvenience.
There are individual authors sites too, (which is where I got started), but most of their fiction is on the Archive too. There's a Lois and Clark webring (just google "Lois and Clark"), but again most of the fanfiction winds up where we've pointed.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#150117 03/25/06 04:42 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Maybe you'd like to take a look at these boards' Challenge folder, too. There are some stories that don't end up in the Archive, especially short, fun pieces, such as the Reader's Digest Fic versions and the Drabbles.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#150118 03/25/06 07:39 AM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Wendymr,

Annesplace is an author-based archive and any nfic writer can ask to have their work uploaded there, but not everyone has.
Ok, how about the Nfic kerths?

The distinction, mainly, though is that Zoomway's message boards focus on the actors and their careers and lives
So the nfic section there is the same as the one here?

Zoomway hasn't ever written nfic - I seem to remember seeing her comment once that she just couldn't do it. It's not as easy as it might look.
To bad, not so much for the lack of steam, but I had hoped I had missed some of her stories.

Don't miss an outstanding story by CC Aiken called In A Better Place - so far these boards are the only place you can read it.
Well, I tried, Aiken is a wonderful writer but time travel and parallel dimensions isn’t really what gets me going.

Btw Wendy, thank you for your incredible stories, I say more but your head might swell and explode. I wouldn't want that on my conscience. notworthy

Artemis,
Hmmm. both work fine for me. I tried them before I posted the url. Is there something on your end?
Probably, they are working now. Thank you. I was looking for something like this.

Anna B,
Maybe you'd like to take a look at these boards' Challenge folder, too.
I'll do that. thank you.

#150119 03/25/06 08:40 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You can find out everything you need to know about the nkerths here on their official website.

So the nfic section there is the same as the one here?
No. There is some small crossover between the two forums, with some authors posting their stories on both sites. But this cross-posting represents a very miniscule amount of the total stories out there.

There are authors who only post their stories on Zoomway's mbs and others who only post their stories here, as suits them.

Annesplace is where you'll find the majority of all nfic in the fandom gathered on one site.

But if you really want to ensure that you haven't missed a story, then you would really have to trawl through all three sites to be sure. (And even then you'll probably miss out on personal websites and other websites out there we don't know about. laugh )

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#150120 03/25/06 10:53 AM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hey,
This is exactly what I was looking for. It is almost the same link as Artemis, but it has summaries for the different stories like the archive. It looks very complete. It lists Nkerth awards and multiple locations too. smile

nficDirectory

#150121 03/26/06 05:21 PM
Blogger
Blogger
To the best of my knowledge, Zoomway hasn't ever written nfic - I seem to remember seeing her comment once that she just couldn't do it. It's not as easy as it might look.
I remember Zoomway writing on some nfic round robins (rr's); a whole group used to write them together online. I think the rr's are most likely to have been archived at annesplace in the nfic section smile

I don't think I've ever heard Zoomway say that she couldn't write nfic, but I'll agree with Wendy, that writing nfic (or any fic for that matter wink ) well is harder than it loooks. thumbsup

There's an old quote, attributed variously to Edwin Keane, Edwin Booth, Edmund Gwen, and at least 7 or 8 other people in the entertainment industry, that says, "Dying is easy, comedy is hard." I know that they're speaking about acting, rather than writing, so I'll paraphrase the last part of their statement with "writing entertaining comedy fanfic is hard." Zoomway's fics have always impressed me as being up to that challenge smile I especially like her funny dialog, because it's so much like the clever dialog that initially attracted me to the show

Have fun reading the stories in the archive, Arawn; there's some great fic writing there wave

Snarla2

#150122 03/26/06 09:07 PM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Zoomway had one very shorth Nfic listed in the nFic archive.

Snarla2,

Zoomway's fics have always impressed me as being up to that challenge I especially like her funny dialog, because it's so much like the clever dialog that initially attracted me to the show
Exactly,it's her command of dialogue that makes her stand out. Many people writes great stories with complex A and B plots but most lack the incessant verbal sparring that marks the characters on the TV-screen.

Btw if I want to ask an author about their stories is it better to mail them or ask away on the board?

(Lets assume I have nice things to say. smile )

#150123 03/26/06 09:42 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Btw if I want to ask an author about their stories is it better to mail them or ask away on the board?
If an author posts to the board regularly, I'm sure he or she would like to hear those nice things publicly goofy

If it's someone you haven't seen on the boards, you might be better off to write to them privately, just to make sure they get your comments. smile

I think that any author would be happy to get fan mail wink

snarla2

#150124 03/27/06 01:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've written on a lot of round robins with Zoomway, including a few nfics, and to the best of my recollection she never wrote the "flesh" parts. She used to say she just didn't write nfic, probably because it is a lot harder than it might look. I tried writing a serious nfic once, but it really was not worth reading, so I gave up, too.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#150125 03/27/06 07:27 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I can jump in on that. Because of our nicks, Zoomway usually followed me in online RRs during the summer of '97 when we practically wrote one nfic per week. I was one of the "fleshers," those who wrote the "n" part of the nfic, and zoomway followed me, and then she was often followed by Demi, another flesher in the group. I remember one time where I started a scene of oral sex and, forgetting that zoom followed me instead of demi, passed on to her.

Man, I could practically hear zoom's shriek with my ears instead of my eyes. wink Actually, she did a terrific job of inserting some very clever dialog and then passed to Demi, who went on with the action portion. Since that was at least the second time I'd done that to her, she's always teased me about doing it on purpose.

So, long answer to a short question, zoom doesn't do nfic. Innuendo? Oh yes. Graphic sex? No.

Re the two sites, most of the fanfic goes to this site, but since zoom's board is where it started, the forums haven't been removed and some folc continue to read their fic there. Primarily, this site emphasizes fanfic, while zoom's site emphasizes all aspects of the show itself, including actors, gossip, the DVDs, fanfic, and other creative productions. The L&C forum on this board tends to involve more games, often writing-based, such as the "write a caption to go with this screencap" game. On zoom's board, the L&C forum involves a lot more discussion of the show itself, such as the current discussion on resolving the character of Lois presented in most of the eps with the background given her in Teri's IASMAA ep, although there are also hangman-type games and quote quizzes.

Other than some nfic on zoom's board, I haven't seen much fic that doesn't appear on this board as well. One of the problems is that zoom's old board crashed, and we lost a lot of pre-2001 nfic. Have some of the fic writers reposted their stories on the nfic boards here?

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
#150126 03/27/06 07:51 AM
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
On zoom's board, the L&C forum involves a lot more discussion of the show itself, such as the current discussion on resolving the character of Lois presented in most of the eps with the background given her in Teri's IASMAA ep
[OT]Aha! So you've been reading that thread. I hope you contribute, because I always enjoy reading your posts on issues that concern the show and the characters smile . I've tried a few times to get a discussion going about how the characters behaved in different episodes, but somehow those discussions always fizzle. Maybe the topics aren't controversial enough wink . [/OT]

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
#150127 03/27/06 09:14 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
On zoom's board, the L&C forum involves a lot more discussion of the show itself, such as the current discussion on resolving the character of Lois presented in most of the eps with the background given her in Teri's IASMAA ep, although there are also hangman-type games and quote quizzes.
And, here, a lot of discussion topics, which would traditionally find their way to being posted in the LNC forum - as on Zoomway's mbs - tend instead to end up in the polls section. As a result our LNC forum isn't as well populated. So if you're new to these mbs and looking for discussions on LNC characterisations etc, it's worthwhile trawling through Polls. There have been some interesting debates in there in the past.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#150128 04/04/06 04:48 AM
Arawn Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hmm,well you have been warned.
I've been reading L&C stories for some six months know and minus vignettes and some alt-universe and future stories I've been through pretty much everything.
And if asked about my favourite story I would say Burnout.
A perfect blend of waff and wham, depth,physical details language, dialouge, a amazingly sultry Lois that contrary to many others incarnations not only talks a good game but actually don't take any prisoners.
My only regret is that I would have liked to see a sequel.
Labrat also has my favourite relevations scene.

A trick's a trick, no matter how big or how small. Once you figure it out it's not magic anymore." smile1

#150129 04/04/06 05:09 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Why thank you, Arawn - that's one terrific compliment, considering what's out there. goofy For some reason, while I was writing that one it became vitally important to me that the entire story took place during the one night and had to be wrapped up before morning.

If it hadn't been, I'd have let Lois walk out and then resolved the argument after a day or so. And I agree that would have been a more natural pacing.

I have no idea now why it was important to me to condense everything into that short period of time. Just know it was at the time. huh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard