Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#147939 07/08/05 08:40 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
http://english2american.com/

<g> Found this t'other day. I think it might be useful so that Lois and Clark actually sound American for those that learned the other version of English...

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
#147940 07/08/05 09:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm not sure how helpful this is in writing American-sounding Lois and Clark, Laura, since it mainly seems to explain some regional British slang to an American ear, though in places we get American equivalents for UK English words. I actually have the book advertised for sale on the site - again, it's aimed at explaining some British vernacular to Americans and is intended to be humorous (which it is wink ).

As for 'the other' version of English, I think Australians would argue that there is at least one other version... goofy

If anyone is looking for a good American-British/British-American online dictionary, try this one , which has been linked here before.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard