I almost stopped reading this one when they thought that Lois was his sister and not his "birthwife." There were a few things that felt off. The mother they never say the name of. Who was she beyond the one who found and began raising Lois before she died of cancer? It was a plot-point that either a) was dropped or b) just a way to make her less connected to the Lanes. I would rather have seen her being the (first-run) adopted daughter of Same and Ellen. It would have been interesting to see. One idea I had was to do my own version of this story (before I was relieved to find out that Lois was indeed, Zara and not Clark's biological sister) was to have Sam find the baby and then bring her home. Ellen would be miffed that Sam was bringing one of his illegitimate kids home only to find out about the men knocking on their door (and being contrite with Sam afterwards). Basically I'd see the characterization of the Lanes as being pretty close to what we saw in the first season and not that of the later ones. Close, yet strained.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)