This plot bunny was spawned by a challenge issued by VirginiaR on the Lois and Clark fanfiction message boards. The rules were that Lois and Clark had to be locked in someplace overnight, Clark could not reveal his secret identity, and that either one of them had to reveal a secret (other than that they love each other). WAFFyness without sex was also part of the requirements.
hyper

He couldn't tell her that she could rest easy, that she'd be bunking with Superman until Bad Brain was caught.
He *could* tell her, but aren't those safe houses bugged for security purposes? Also, 'bunking with SM' might not be an image he would want to re-insert back into her psyche.

"Not nearly as good as the Chinese takeout in Metropolis," she said, making the statement sound more like a jury verdict.
Is that because Clark gets the Metropolis take-out via... China?

"Just...it's so like you. To defend something just because you hate being negative."
Well put! clap

He could have teased her and said that no one could have seen anything at the rate she'd channel surfed, but he held his tongue.
I bet one person could've, and he's sitting right next to her.

Also, I was sure he was going to go with the obvious he wanted to 'watch her' line. laugh Basketball! I, so, didn't see that coming.

"They locked us up in here, with no idea of how long, and they didn't even leave us a pack of cards!"
What! No board games?

A few moments later, Clark heard the shower turn on. For a while, he merely stood there, wishing he and Lois were actually a couple. If they were, the pull-out couch would be set up for two, instead of one.
"A While", Clark? Don't you mean, HER ENTIRE SHOWER? laugh What? No bed? Why do people live in NYC again?

So, using a small burst of super speed, he pulled the bed out. Finding sheets and pillows in a narrow closet in the corner of the room, he quickly got the bed ready for Lois.
Um... what if the safe house has surveillance cameras?

Lois smiled and patted the empty space next to her on the bed.
They're going to share? rotflol He *so* did!

Lois snorted lightheartedly. "I guess it's my turn again. The truth is...I said 'no.'"

"No?" Clark asked, confused. What on Earth was Lois talking about now?

Lois nodded. "To Lex. At the wedding. Almost wedding. The Archbishop asked if I would take Lex as my husband. And I said no."
That's a big confession.

Lois' eyes sank to the blankets on the pull-out couch. "I couldn't stop thinking about what you'd said."

For a fraction of a heartbeat, Clark hoped she'd say that his confession of love was what she'd meant. For a fraction of a heartbeat, he was terrified that hope would manifest itself into his features. He couldn't reveal his secret desire to be with her. Not now. Or...could he? If Lois confessed to feeling the same way about him, he could admit to his own secret - that he lied when he taken back that profession of love. Couldn't he?
And 'yes' she does mean your 'I love you' confession, lunkhead.

"I was with Superman," he confessed, purposefully staying as vague as he could.
Um.... Clark? Aren't you always *with* Superman?

A pained gasp escaped Lois' lips. "How bad was it?" she asked, her voice even lower than it had been a moment before.

"Bad." He hated to elaborate, knowing the truth would only cause Lois more pain.
I doubt it was only for Lois that he didn't want to talk about that.

"Bad," he said again, his voice sinking to match Lois' volume. "Maybe..." he swallowed around the confession. "Maybe only minutes from death."
Ooooh. That's bad.

"I do. Which is why I trust you with this. The truth is...I don't think I ever loved Lex. I was flattered by his attention. Lured in by his power and wealth. But...deep down...I think I always knew. He wasn't 'the one,' you know? But I thought I'd never be able to do any better. I thought that maybe I could learn to love him, at least enough to be happy." She sighed. "Like I said. I was an idiot."
CLARK: Yep.
LOIS: /slugs him with pillow/

"Really," Clark said sincerely. "That's why I don't think the idea is stupid. I mean, I was with Lana for eight months before we broke up. She got mad that I wouldn't tell her that I loved her. But I ouldn't. Because I didn't. I couldn't give her false hope that there were more to our relationship than there was. Well, that, and I was getting tired of her attempts to bully me around. I started to realize that our relationship wasn't really a relationship at all. And when I finally stood up for myself... " Again, he shrugged. "That was the end of that. She broke up with me."
Sounds like Lana. Also, did he just tell Lois how exactly a patient man he is? Let's hope she didn't catch that.

"Well," she said, after getting herself more comfortable, "look at us. Both in our mid-twenties. Never having experienced love." She gestured vaguely.
I thought Lois had considered herself 'in love' with both Claude and Superman. Oh, wait, you can't 'experience' love without it being returned. Got it!

"You're staying put, right here," Lois said, poking her finger down on the thin mattress, hard.

"I don't know, Lois," Clark stammered, his heart pounding. He wanted so badly to share a bed with Lois, even on friendly terms. But he was all too aware of how Lois viewed him - as a friend only. And what if he were to float in his sleep, as he sometimes did?
Like he couldn't float sleep just as easily in a recliner /points to JSN/.

"Is this okay?" he asked.

Lois laid shifted herself and put her head on Clark's chest. She put one hand there as well, getting comfortable. "It's perfect.
I'm betting Clark's in total agreement.

"You're welcome. The truth is, Lois, you're my best friend. You're closer to me than anyone else in the world. And I treasure that, above all else. So I'm more than happy to be there, whenever and whatever the circumstances. And I always will be, no matter what."
How about when she's being stalked by a Hawaiian shirt wearing DEA agent? How about if she gets hurt when he's nearby? How about coming invasion of New Kryptonians? How about if he gets shrunk really small?...

"Good news," the woman announced as she entered the apartment. "I just got a phone call from Inspector Henderson. The plan worked. Bad Brain is in custody. They got him about an hour ago and they were just finishing booking him when Henderson called. You are free to go home whenever you like. Shall I call a car for you?" She looked pointedly at Lois.
Really, Henderson? You couldn't have waited until morning to let them know this? Come on! Is your middle name James?

"In the morning," she said. "It's late now. Clark and I were just about to get some sleep. But thanks for letting us know about Bad Brain." When Marissa hesitated, Lois added, "Well, don't just stand there. Go. Goodnight."
Lois... did you... just say you wanted to sleep with Clark? jawdrop

Lois nodded, still grinning. "I know. I just didn't like the way she looked at you, that's all.

"What? How did she look at me?" he wanted to know.

But Lois simply gave him a devious look as she settled back down into the blankets.
Ooooooh. Jealousy!

And she went from THAT to dating Scardino? What's the matter with her? Or was this just before the Phoenix when Clark asked her out?

So cute! So WAFFy! I'm glad you finished it. I was in need of something light and fluffy /in a good way/ to make me smile. This really cheered me up! Thanks for turning my frown upside-down. Now, I expect that Christmas story to post sometime around... May?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.