Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

Kate Good point about how Lana arrived in Metropolis. I didn't think about that. Although proving she is in Metropolis doesn't prove she killed Mayson.

Laura

The Devil wears Prada!
LOL. But that wasn't why I chose that brand. It was the first European fashion label I thought of when I was writing this.

Happy

It's clear to Wolfe that Clark isn't telling the whole truth.
Exactly. And that is a part of the problem for Clark - he can't (well, he doesn't want to) tell the whole truth.

Morgana I'm glad the police scenes aren't so far from real that they detract from the story.

It seems strange the CSI did not look at the dress, after all, it was the only one in the closet. Also, where would Mayson get money to buy a Prada? Her job did not pay THAT well.
I admit - I know nothing about fashion. I heavily used the fact that the forensic team were all men. They may not have noticed that the dress was Prada. They assumed it belonged to Mayson - perhaps she'd changed at Clark's and hung it temporarily in the closet. They quickly checked it for blood and semen, and finding neither, figured it had nothing more to tell them about the case.

Ken

This is an entirely new Lana. In the comic universe she is a red head. In Smallville she is a brunette with long hair. In L&C she is a blond. Now she had dark, short hair.
I'm using the L&C version - but she had her hair cut and coloured in Europe.

Iolanthe Your comments in the beta confirmed my feeling that mere doubt wouldn't be good enough. Clark has to come out of this with everyone knowing for sure that he didn't kill Mayson.

minimunch Thanks for letting me know you're reading. I don't think I got the next part up in time. Sorry!

Michael

Caught up again! For now…
I know how you feel.

She *didn’t* see Lana enter. So it was just conjecture about Clark having plans?
Mrs McC definitely didn't see Lana enter Clark's apartment - she was at the vet at the time. But she *had* noticed Mayson's regular visits, so she was speculating that Clark might have a female guest. (Actually, he had two laugh )

Her comment was meant to establish that she watched the neighbourhood.

So much for his eidetic memory. Sounds like Lana really does not leave too much of an impression on Clark.
True!

DC

She *has* to be. <points to number of chapter>
cool

Judging by all your 'yups', the story makes sense - which is a relief!

Thanks everyone for the FDK,

Corrina.