Caught up again! For now…
Clark didn't know what they knew. He didn't know if he was going to be charged with murder. He didn't know if, when he left this room, his life would have changed forever.
[Linked Image]

"I heard you wanted to talk to me. I came as soon as I could."

The spark of interest in Wolfe's face made Clark wish he hadn't offered the final sentence. He resolved to pare his answers to the barest detail.
/nods/

After climbing the stairs, she knocked on the first door.
clap

"She realised the truth, and she was upset."
That’s one way to put it. The other would be Lana explaining it to Mayson in tini-tiny words.

"Mayson Drake was a smart, beautiful woman. Why weren't you interested in her?"
“I have a spandex fetish”?

"I asked him about his plans for the evening."

"What did he say?"

"He said he wasn't expecting company.
I could have sworn that she had seen Lana enter the apartment from the way they talked in part 1. Now, though. Either, Mrs C. is blanking that bit out or she didn’t really see Lana after all. Huh.

Mrs McCreadie rubbed her temple. "Dark trousers. Blue, not black. A dark grey jacket. Dark pink shirt and a nice tie with flowers on it."

For a member of the public, Mrs McCreadies's memory for detail was phenomenal.
Oh boy.

"Have you ever seen any other women come to Mr Kent's apartment?"

The woman gave a nervous smile. "You. But you haven't been for a while."
She *didn’t* see Lana enter. So it was just conjecture about Clark having plans?

Lois was beginning to understand why Wolfe had felt confident to build his case on Mrs McCreadie's testimony. She had exceptional clarity and could express herself clearly.
I’m sure a skilled sleaze lawyer could make her sound like a woman halfway between Mad Cow (to quote Danny Crane) and the looneybin.

"Is there someone else?" Henderson asked from his position behind Wolfe.

"Yes," Clark said.

"What happened after you told Mayson?" Wolfe said.
Wolfe must be going bonkers by now laugh

"She didn't accuse you of cheating on her?"

"No."
clap

"No. I was above him. And he was wearing the baseball cap. The red one I've seen him wear before."
Ooooh!

"So you didn't get a look at his face?" Lois persisted.

"No. It was shielded by the bill of the cap. And the collar of his jacket was pulled up."
So, it’s entirely possible a burglar landed on the roof using a parachute, broke into Clark’s apartment, dumped the chute down the balcony, shot Mayson, and ran out the door?

Clark took a deep breath. "There was someone else in my apartment."
clap

"No. She was inside my apartment."

"Had you given her a key?"

"No."

Wolfe's eyebrows jumped a little. "She broke in?" he surmised.
And that would be unusual why?

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.