“You eloped?” Molly said. “With Char.. Clark?”

“Well, it seemed better to do it with someone than to do it by myself,” Lois said, hoping to snap Molly out of her obsession.
grumble

removing a large metallic cylinder and something that resembled a football helmet’s inner skeleton with wires.
Is it a coincidence that this description fits the "Bummer-Be-Gone" device so well? Of course, this would be an anti-Bummer-Be-Gone.

It’s based on a machine your folks will eventually invent. The Bummer-Be-Gone.
LOL! I wrote my above response before I read this far into the part. (I intersperse my reading with my commenting, rather than reading an entire part and then responding.)

Without those plans, Clark could never have come back in time.”
Wouldn't the paradox actually be simpler than that? I would think that the paradox would be that because Lois didn't go to the Congo, she didn't die. Because she didn't die, Clark would have no need to go back in time to rescue her. And if he didn't go back in time, then she would have gone to the Congo and around and around in a sort of Moebius strip.

“Please, Ms. Lane, time really is of the essence.”
Why? Why would how much time elapsed in Lois' present before she forgot change what would happen in Clark's present? They are two different presents, so to speak.

And without my memories, I’m not going to remember why it’s important for me to get on that plane to the Congo.”
Why would that be a problem? We saw earlier in the story (before she had any such memories) that she ignored Clark's warning and boarded the plane anyway. Why would she do anything different this time around?

‘I’ll always love you. Please respect my decision. Don’t come back. Your wife. Lois.’
mecry

If the kiss had saved her life, what had changed as a result of them making love?
I wonder whether Lois is pregnant, and whether her discovery of said fact will jog her memory and she'll recall Clark after all?

“I came to see if you wanted to buy a vacuum cleaner.
LOL! I wonder what Wells would have done had they actually expressed interest in a cleaning appliance?

Getting paranoid about the motives of a vacuum cleaner salesman was not exactly... normal.
Unlike flying aliens, time travel and alternate universes. wink

He couldn’t wait for Wells any longer to get his answers. Lois. He had to know that Lois had survived. A moment later he was airborne and on his way to Metropolis.
Ack! Don't leave us hanging like this for two whole days. Be merciful and post the next part tonight. Please? grovel

This was a phenomenal part. You really put us on an emotional roller coaster with this one. Well done!

Joy,
Lynn