Well, I think it is a workable solution. No, it's not perfect - but nothing is. I don't share the same religious concerns that Evelyn expressed, and I don't agree with Ann that this would come uncomfortably close to Lois having sexual relations with Jonathan. Jonathan would be a sperm donor - for me it would be similar to women who choose to have a baby but rather than go to a sperm bank for an anonymous donor, they choose a close friend. That may not work for some, but it seems to be very possible for many people.

I do acknowledge an initial "ick" factor, but I think that could lessen as everyone gets accustomed to the idea. At first, everyone is going to be a little uncomfortable about it all, and certainly none of them should rush into a decision.

Lois' age now puts her in the high-risk category, as Rac pointed out, but if as someone suggested she could possibly have been so "relaxed" in Anguilla that she could be pregnant at this moment, she'll still be in that same high-risk category. I don't know enough about the medical risks with Jonathan's age, and certainly any additional risk factors added onto Lois' "aged" eggs would complicate matters further. When Jonathan said that he had taken tests and gotten a clean bill of health, were the doctors told why he wanted these tests, and if so were he and Martha told about an increased risk of genetic problems?

Ann sees Clark as more desperate than Lois to have a child. I personally haven't gotten that impression from this story. I think the lack of a child is a big hole in both of their lives - Lois attempted to fill it by burying herself into her new job, Clark got involved with kids in after-school programs. Obviously it's up to them to decide how happy they can be without a child in their lives, but I don't see Lois agreeing to go along with this just in order to give Clark a child. Much as Lois loves Clark, I think she is much too much her own woman to agree to something she was against, deep down, just to make Clark happy.

It's a wonderful story, Corrina. Very thought-provoking - as this and the other response threads have proven - and a delight to read.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5