Hi, and thanks. smile

Maria, you said:
It was safer to have the baby premature and both alive. An special baby with out mother will go to an orphan or stranger hand.
This is very true. But I think it's not unreasonable to imagine a situation where decisions aren't clear-cut, where there are risks to both approaches, and where Lois decides on balance that she knows better than the medical profession. Don't forget that she's carrying the child of a man who's the only one of his kind on Earth, so not only might she want to give the child the best chance she can because the father is the man she loves, but also because the child represents the only hope for the continuation of his race. That might not be the most signficant reason for her decision, but I think it would be a factor.

You also said:
Is that why Mr. Wells took the baby?
Is Lois really dead?
Sorry, I can't comment at this stage, but let's just say I'm paying close attention to my reader's reactions.

Where is Mr. Wells? He know the important of that device. He was deserted in that universe with out a way to get out. If he got out he will be looking for CK.
Hang on, does this mean you think CK took the device from Wells and stranded him in that universe? That wasn't the impression I wanted to convey at all! Anyone else think this is the case? ('cos if so, this could be a handy, if accidental, plot device laugh ).

Terry, thanks for the reassurance about the hospital scene and the preeclampsia explanation - I pieced it together from the information I gathered from expert Folcs and the net, so it's a relief that I didn't make any major blunders. smile

As for the doctor knowing Superman's identity - yes, I know I haven't given any clue earlier in the story as to whether his secret was out or not. To be honest, I wasn't sure myself until I wrote that scene. If people think it's too much of a surprise at this stage in the story, I'll give it some more thought.

Tank. Well, I kind of knew you'd think Clark was being a bit pathetic. All I can say in his defence (or is it my defence? wink ) is that the custody issue is making him less level-headed than usual, and that everyone is entitled to the occasional bout of self-centred woe. It's not like he'll wallow in it for too long - that's not in Clark's nature.

I'm totally with you on this:
There are lots of things in this world that I'd like to have, but know I never will have them. It's part of life. You have to accept some things.
Yup, that's one of my favourite rants too - which is why Clark will eventually always 'put up and shut up' in my stories, because I think he believes the same thing.

In my mind, unless he pairs up with another woman, it's irresponsible for CK to even think of trying to raise a child on his own.
Yet as the biological father, the law would grant him custody by default - or so I've been told. Funny how the law, morality and responsibility don't always go hand-in-hand, isn't it? wink

It's also funny how real life can echo fiction. My family is suddenly in the middle of a custody issue which has amazing parallels with this story - scarily so, in fact. Whether it will affect my choices for Jon et al remains to be seen. What I do know is that there can be no perfectly happy ending in real life, and this story might just be the same. Life's a compromise, folks.

Thank you to everyone else who commented, and I'll try to get another section posted by next Monday. smile

Yvonne