Holy... You know how to cross the finish line in style, Caroline clap

Ever since we met, or at least ever since I took the time to listen, something about you has always made sense to me. I trusted that, even when I knew there were things you weren’t telling me. I trusted you.
And this is my favourite take on how Superman’s disguise worked. A friend do not try to ferret out secrets that the other friend seems to try to hide. Clark’s poor excuses make it even easier to assume it’s something embarrassing but not earth-shattering.

But now… it’s like I never knew you at all.
And this why I have an aversion to fast reconciliation’s. If Lois really was duped then she needs time to learn who he is.

“No.” He ran his fingers restlessly through his hair. “I don’t know how to make you understand it, but no. I was never Superman without you. Not for one day.”
blush

Just how self-centered do you think I am, Clark? Did you really think I’d get mad at you for leaving me to save someone’s life?”
No of course not, the problem is that you can never complain about it even if you can’t stand it. In this sense Clarks decision to take away her guilt trip makes perfect sense.

But you’re not normal,” she said in a low voice, still looking down at the pillow in her hands.

He flinched as if she’d slapped him. “No,” he agreed hollowly. “I’m not normal.” The words were like acid on his tongue. Not normal, not normal, not normal... He almost didn’t hear the next thing she said.

“If you’d been normal, you’d have probably used Superman to get me into bed two years ago.”
In a lot of fics, even some of my absolute favourites, Lois accuses Clark of lying to her to get her into bed. Something that really doesn’t hold up, once you know he is Superman.

“But you could have, and you knew it. If you’d been normal, you’d have probably done it. Except that if you’d really been normal, you’d have run as far away from me as you could the first week we met. No normal man has ever been able to stand me as long as you have.” Her lips twitched. “That should have been the giveaway, now that I think about it.
Yes, it should. It’s actually the beauty of the show IMO. All the abuse and scorn she heaps on him should be pretty damaging to his ego, except that Clark doesn’t share the usual male insecurities so her bombs never goes of, to Lois bewilderment.

I chose Clark Kent. I chose the man I thought you wanted, and I chose the man I most wanted to be.”

“But that was a false choice,” she argued. “Don’t you see that?”

“I do now. But at first… it seemed like a dream come true.”
Awww, some guys can deliver these lines and get away with it.

“You think that, but it’s not true. My father stayed in a job he hated because my mother didn’t want him to go off on his own and do his own research. She wanted the security of him being in private practice. He agreed, but there was practically never another happy moment in our house. It poisoned everything, her taking that choice from him, and in the end he left and did it anyway.”

“What about her?” Clark countered. “Didn’t she deserve that security?”

“I don’t know,” she said. “Maybe she would say it was worth it even now. But I’m not my mother, Clark, and I won’t be the reason you make a decision like that – the reason you don’t follow your conscience, your heart.
The parallel with her father slots into canon perfectly and I’ve never seen this done before. I love Clark's counterargument, Brilliance, that what it is.

“I’m not afraid of you.” His voice quavered with emotion, and his hands clenched into fists at his sides. “But I’m more afraid of losing you than almost anything else I can think of.
Exactly, and this was always my take on not telling her, not that crap about “people getting at superman through her” Which they did anyway.

And I know that you deserve better than me. I know that you deserve someone who doesn’t belong to the world part of the time, someone who can give himself to you completely. And I can’t do that. I thought I could... I was going to try... but last night, something happened and I realized that I had to keep on being Superman. That he was part of me and always had been, even before I started wearing the suit. I can’t give him up, even for you, and I’m so sorry about that. I know you deserve...”
The penultimate good boy speech. laugh Been there and it never comes out as intended. Women hates to have their fantasy of you broken, and they don't appreciate the indirect slur of their judgement and feelings either.

She put her hands on her hips and he knew she was about to light into him, that there were going to be fireworks, but he couldn’t stop himself feeling relieved that she was standing there, so close to him, so fired up and full of passion. He would rather have her anger than that terrible distance between them.
Hit me, please.

He bent to kiss her, tasting the salt of her tears, and he realized that he’d been wrong two nights ago in his apartment.

This was his happiest moment.
This is like bowling you just line the pines up and they go down.

And the epilogue…. Wow.

notworthy notworthy notworthy

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...