being soaked would do nothing for Lois’s temper
My husband would say the same about me. It's amazing to me (in a good way) that when your life becomes intertwined with someone else's, while you still operate independently in a public way, in your private life everything, even the weather, comes down to the other person. Like a homing beacon or a touchstone.

“You didn’t think I was actually going to let you do it, did you?” Lois’s voice came from behind him, low and controlled.
Oh, man, you are in so. much. trouble. In both personas.

“That’s interesting,” she said. “Because here’s the thing: I might be stupid enough to be fooled by a pair of glasses for two years, but I’m not so stupid I don’t recognize my own partner’s writing when I see it. You didn’t discuss this with Clark, and yet I would stake my career on the fact that Clark Kent wrote this press release. What should I make of that, Superman? What exactly does that mean?”

“You know what it means,” he said quietly.
FANTASTIC revelation. clap I wonder if she knew from the moment she read it, or if it took a while for it come to her.

“’Even if you were an ordinary man leading an ordinary life.’ That’s what you said to me that night, Lois. That even if I had no powers at all, you would love me. Do you have any idea what those words did to me?”

“Do you have any idea what it did to me when you let me think you were dead?” she spat back at him.
Despite my homing beacon comment above, those are also the people who can bring out your most cutting remarks. Scary how that works.

as if he were beginning a twelve-step program for recovering superheroes
Like Mr. Incredible! (sort of)

I hope you have a happy ending for Jonathan. But knowing you, I'm sure you do.

Powerful chapter, C. I enjoyed it very much and I'm looking forward to the finale. smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds