Ah, Caroline. I was very pleasantly surprised to see this section posted, as I'd read that we'd have to wait one more week for it. Thanks for making this particularly refreshing kind of lemonade. *g*

Of course, only two days before, he’d been convinced that his place was at the Daily Planet. And then hours later, he’d been convinced that his place was with Wanda Detroit. Now he was sure that his place was helping at disasters. Obviously, he couldn’t be right on all counts. He’d have to be three people – or at the very least two
I love how you put that.

And I really like how the idea of the Supercostume still somehow came from Lois in this alternate reality. That whole thought process was very nicely laid out.

“I’m trying to tell you, Mom. But this isn’t exactly the kind of thing...it’s not easy to tell you about this.”

Martha raised her eyebrows at that, and he realized that he might as well have waved a red flag in front of a bull. Oh, why had he started this conversation?

“Well, we don’t want to pry, honey, and if it’s none of our business you can tell us so,” Martha said, surprising him.

“Okay,” he said quickly, grasping at the miraculous chance for escape. “It’s none of your business.”

“But you might feel better if you got this off your chest,” she went on, as if he hadn’t spoken. “And of course, now that we know you’ve done something we wouldn’t approve of, we’ll be wondering what it is and probably imagining something much worse than whatever actually happened...right Jonathan?”

“Leave me out of this.” Jonathan reached for a second helping of pie. “If the boy wants to tell us, he’ll tell us.”

Martha shot him a glare, though whether it was because of his defection or because of the pie, Clark wasn’t entirely sure. His father didn’t seem to notice it at all.
I love Martha Kent. (And Jonathan, too.) I remember your making note of the parallelisms between Martha and Lois in If I Were You, and the shared tenacious curiosity in particular is really highlighted here.

“Maybe you eloped!” She sounded hopeful this time, and Clark nearly choked.
That made me laugh. And did Martha's role in the conversation that followed.

Can't wait for the next installment, Caroline.

Have a good trip!

Chris
"Superman is a guy who's seen wonders we'll never see and Lois is to him, one of those wonders."