What a terrific first chapter! I haven't read the first "Near Wild Heaven," but as soon as I finish posting this, I'm off to find it.

The writing was absolutely wonderful, and I love love loved Dave. His conversation with Lois made it clear that he cares about her well-being, and not just because she's an employee or Lex's wife — he genuinely cares and worries about *her.*

And such spot-on dialogue:
“ ... The point is, you’re working two offices away, and I’m not about to shuffle my staff around so that you can — ”

“Live in peace? Be realistic, Dave. She’s the ringleader of those who keep saying that I only got the job because I sleep with the big boss.”

Dave shrugged. “And what do you want me to do, fire her?”

“I know you can’t. After all, she’s right: I do sleep with the boss.”
*loves* Sardonic, no-nonsense Lois is my favorite.

And this:
“ ... since I arrived here, I’ve always known you as quiet and subdued. Then all of a sudden, you’re irritable, pig-headed, you pick a fight with Linda, then you storm out and slam the door of your office, where you sulk for most of the afternoon — ”

“I don’t sulk!”

He cocked his head to the side and smiled. “You did today.”

“Well, all right, sometimes I do. So what? I just hadn’t had any good sulking-occasion since you got the job, that’s all.”

“Lois ... ”

“Dave, if you talked to Perry White, he would tell you that I *am* irritable, that I pick fights and bark at half the other members of the staff, that I can storm out and slam doors on a daily basis, and that sulking is an art at which I’m rather skilled.”

“So am I seeing the real Lois at last?”

She grinned. “Possibly.”

“I think I like her.”
That's just ... perfect. So Lois. And (as if I didn't before), I heart Dave.

Thanks so much for sharing this; I can't wait to read the next chapter!

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien