1) At Dawn We Slept by Gordon W. Prange tells the story of the attack on Pearl Harbor from both the American and Japanese sides.

2) Flags of Our Fathers by James D. Bradley and Ron Powers the image of six US Marines raising the flag in Mount Suribachi on the Japanese island of Iwo Jima is perhaps the most famous photograph of the Pacific War. What is not clear is how that moment in history would change the lives of the men in the iconic image. Not all the men in the photo would survive the fighting, but for those lucky enough to return home the experience of those weeks would forever change their lives.

3) The Rommel Papers by Erwin Rommel edited by B. H. Liddell Hart I have been wanting to read this since I read Rommel’s preceding ‘Infantry Attacks’ which detailed his experiences on the Western Front during WWI. Fascinating look into the mind of the legendary Desert Fox as he recounts his experiences. Of course Rommel would not see the end of WWII due to his infamous suicide, but the aftermath of this is provided by the recollections of his son Manfred.

4) Hellfire: The Story of Australia, Japan and the Prisoners of War by Cameron Forbes like with the topic of genocide, I tend to avoid reading up on the experiences of POWs who were captured by the Japanese as it is quite upsetting for me. This though was very absorbing and I didn’t want to put it down. The experiences that these POWs experienced shouldn’t ever be forgotten. It also touches on the debate that Japan has never formally apologised for the atrocities committed and how the remaining few who still survive struggle with the consequences of that

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 02/10/22 07:03 AM.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller