A few years back, when I had had a four-month bout of bronchitis, the doctors told me that my lungs were compromised and that consequently I should take extra precautions to avoid any pulmonary illnesses. I therefore began to practice social distancing before that phrase started being plastered everywhere. So far, so healthy. I'm glad I retired when I did -- although Spring Break has been extended for students, faculty are still expected to report to work. They are using the Spring Break extension to convert in-person classes into online ones.

I don't really have anything to add to DC's description of life in the U.S., other than that coronavirus-related news and activity seems to have had exponential growth. Although the virus has been making the news since January, coverage had been at simmer level until recently. It started bubbling on Wednesday and explosively overflowed on Thursday. You would now be hard-pressed to find many news stories about anything else. Not surprisingly, the panic levels of the general public shot way up on Thursday; that's when there were runs on supermarkets, floods of cancellations, etc.

Stay healthy,
Lynn

Last edited by Lynn S. M.; 03/15/20 06:57 AM.