Hi Tracey. I'm excited to read your story.
She was trying to turn it back around to partnership; she was trying to salvage them and give him an out. He loved her and hated her for it at the same time. She knew where he was going his impassioned speech.
and
By calling her on it, he knew she’d take him seriously. There would be no misunderstanding here. He’d put it out there: Lois, I know what a sharp, perceptive woman you are. I’ve watched how you read people. I know you are completely aware of how I feel about you.
The first thing I liked about this beginning was Clark's frame of mind. We get to see in his thoughts that he knows Lois so well. He sees her unconscious tactics to turn everything he says around into partnership or platonic friendship, but this time, he doesn't let her.
She was about to say something else, he could tell, but he interrupted her before she could. “Then do something for me. A favor.”

She closed her mouth, and whatever words had been on the tip of her tongue vanished. “A favor?” she repeated.
Yes! He doesn't let her get that awful, selfish, tactless reference to talking it over with Superman out.

Lois's introspection was interesting and appropriate. I like how Lois thought through all of her relationships. It's very logical for her to be afraid of a relationship with Clark.

She wasn’t ready to go down that path with another co-worker, and she definitely wasn’t willing to let one of her relationships become fodder for the gossip mill again. It didn’t matter that the Planet was gone; Metropolis was one big, citywide, gossipy newsroom when it came to the journalism business. The news that she and Clark were more than partners would’ve been all over the Metropolis Press Club faster than Superman could fly across the horizon.
This makes sense when she's thinking about Clark. It might be nice to see Lois apply the same logic to her relationship with Lex. She just accepted a job working at him and was at the very least dating him. Why doesn't Lois see the drawbacks or the potential rumors that would accompany getting the job just because she was dating (or married) the boss? How does she think becoming the wife of the 3rd richest man will affect her? Her life will be public with media and tabloid scrutiny or rumors daily.

But wait, wasn’t she the suspicious type? She was an investigative reporter, for goodness’ sakes! True, Lex had never done anything to make her uneasy, but wasn’t it her business to see beyond the external? What had she told Clark that one time – to “rip away the veil of secrecy and expose the naked truth”? And logic told her that Lex hadn’t made it to the top by being an especially nice guy to everyone he met. He had to have some skeletons in his closet.
Ha! You are screwed now, Lex Luthor! I love, love, love that Lois realized how ridiculous Lex's marriage proposal is given how long they've been dating and how well they know one another. I'm super excited to see what Lois does with her suspicion that her troubles and Lex's involvement at the Daily Planet coincide.

I liked how she discounted every one of her own reasons for not dating Clark.
Truly, instead of finding lots of convincing reasons why he shouldn’t love her and why they could never be together like that… she’d only confused herself more. Because the more she thought about it, the more it seemed like Clark Kent might just be…

Good for her? What she needed?
Yes, Lois. Go with that one. smile1