Originally Posted by groobie
I have a 5000 piece puzzle that hangs in my living room. It has two missing pieces. I put a background behind it when I framed it that helps the missing pieces blend in. No one ever notices when they first see the framed puzzle. But I see the missing pieces all the time - it's the first thing my eyes go to.

I think Clark's secret is like that. You don't notice the similarities between Clark and Superman because you're not looking for them. But once you know what's really there, I'm sure it's the only thing you see. You wait for others to see it too; find it incredible that they don't notice what you know.

If you were friends with Clark when you finally noticed the missing pieces, how would you react? I think it's natural to feel embarrassed, feel like you were stupid not to have noticed, but that gets expressed in a defensive tone because no one likes to feel stupid; it's easier to blame others for your own mistakes. So Jimmy's reaction in the story makes sense. It's good, though, that he is able to quickly process Clark's point of view, accepts the reasons for Clark's deception, and is able to move forward as friends.

Friendship is a different level of relationship than Lois and Clark have, though. A stronger bond can result in an even greater sense of betrayal. So stories where Lois has a worse reaction to the revelation make sense, too.

Great food for thought with this story. smile

Hey Groobie!

It's like the stain on the ceiling only you know is there or the spot on the jeans only visible to you because you KNOW it's there. We don't see it unless it's pointed out to us. I've had a lot of mixed reactions to this story. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Some think he should just be in awe and wouldn't get angry. I disagree because no matter how cool the secret is...if I had to find something like this out about my friend I'd be upset they didn't tell me first. I know a lot of people think Jimmy would be in awe that his friend is Superman, but given his history of feeling inadequate in the newspaper business and finding out someone he thought he knew had been lying to him for three years, there is going to be anger. Not as much as Lois but as you stated anger, embarrassment, and a little self-questioning. He's only human after all and he's going to have very human emotions when dealing with the revelation.

I never understood how he never asked questions or came to the realization on his own during this episode. Clark and Superman in the same room. No glasses. Hello???? The writers totally missed a plot twist in this episode.

Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
Love it and so glad I finally got a moment to read this! I've always thought Jimmy would eventually either need to be told or make the connection. And he's a good, trustworthy guy, so glad wouldn't even need to be all that worried about it. Like you, I believe Perry and Jack knew too. Or at least seriously suspected.

Nice story!

Hey DC! Glad you got around to reading this one. Yeah, Jimmy is a good friend and trustworthy. I think him being in on the secret would have made for some pretty entertaining Season 3 and 4.

Perry and Jack totally know. Did you see the look on Perry's face when Superman flew in his newsroom and landed her by her desk? Then his expression when Clark tried to spin his tall tales over the course of the series.

"Uh-huh"

He totally knows.

Jack. Come on, the look on his face during Fly Hard said it all.

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube