I have a 5000 piece puzzle that hangs in my living room. It has two missing pieces. I put a background behind it when I framed it that helps the missing pieces blend in. No one ever notices when they first see the framed puzzle. But I see the missing pieces all the time - it's the first thing my eyes go to.

I think Clark's secret is like that. You don't notice the similarities between Clark and Superman because you're not looking for them. But once you know what's really there, I'm sure it's the only thing you see. You wait for others to see it too; find it incredible that they don't notice what you know.

If you were friends with Clark when you finally noticed the missing pieces, how would you react? I think it's natural to feel embarrassed, feel like you were stupid not to have noticed, but that gets expressed in a defensive tone because no one likes to feel stupid; it's easier to blame others for your own mistakes. So Jimmy's reaction in the story makes sense. It's good, though, that he is able to quickly process Clark's point of view, accepts the reasons for Clark's deception, and is able to move forward as friends.

Friendship is a different level of relationship than Lois and Clark have, though. A stronger bond can result in an even greater sense of betrayal. So stories where Lois has a worse reaction to the revelation make sense, too.

Great food for thought with this story. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink