I know I know I'm commenting on an old thread, but I was bored at work and nothing left to do for the week, so I thought I'd browse the forum. Ran across this thread and had to comment.

This episode honestly made me cringe so much. I remember watching the episode scratching my head like, "WHAT?" This makes no sense.

I even rewrote it in a fanfic several years back because I thought it needed correcting. What the Hey You Can't Have Everything

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Originally posted by Sue S.:
Are we really supposed to believe that two countries base their entire foreign policies on whether or not Superman is moral?
It was my understanding that they didn't want peace, and that Superman was forcing them to negotiate for the good of their people, so when Superman was discredited they used this as an excuse to go back to fighting. True, it is a bit cartoonish (buffoonish?) and silly, but I have to admit, sometimes global politics feels that way to us little folks.

I agree...sorta. They were looking for an excuse NOT to work toward peace and the Superman scandal was the perfect excuse.

The main villain is a walking cartoon. There are so many better, more subtle ways, to make Goode the bad guy. It's lazy writing to exposit that he's evil by depicting him as smut peddler who shoves underlings down an elevator shaft because he's annoyed with them. Honestly, tell me in what world would Larry Flynt or Hugh Hefner be considered for a Nobel Peace Prize?
Well, Goode is clearly insane with a Lex Luthor idolization complex, but I believe Spencer Spencer is supposed to be closer to Larry Flynt or Hugh Hefner. Goode is supposed to be based on someone more like what's his name who owns Fox News, IMO, who is rumored to rule with an iron fist. Although, I wouldn't have cast someone like Jack Wagner to represent him.

I think he had potential to be a good villian. We just needed more of a back story. Bill Church was a good villian and Lex Luthor too. Heck Lex Luthor got the key to the city every year and was man of the year every year before Superman came to the town. I agree losing to Superman was a STUPID reason for him to go after him. There needed to be a REAL reason.

My suggestion? Intergang. Mindy has a brother. :P

Samantha is only slightly less of a buffoon (or maybe I cut her slack because I liked the actress).
Is Samantha still alive at the end of this episode? If so, why doesn't she keep trying to expose Superman / Clark. I'm sure if she got a photo of Clark without his glasses and compared it to a Superman photo... Does she ever come back in FanFic and do that? Or something like that?

In the episode, she only had pictures of Lois and Superman before falling off the balcony. (How did she not get hurt?)

I still thought it was STUPID, IDIOTIC, and so OUT of CHARACTER for Clark NOT to change out of his suit? I mean, come on. For someone that spent all his life trying to fit in and FOUR YEARS trying to drive home, the whole 'Clark is who I am; Superman is what I can do' message it just doesn't fit. Even when he comes home he immediately changes out of the suit. - End Rant.

But, even more than the idiotic plot and over-the-top villains, it's Lois and Clark that irritate me the most. Like I said earlier, I just can't believe that Clark is willing to unilaterally decide that he's going to spill his secret (especially since he's doing it to forward a plot that I find implausible). I shook my head when he spouted all that nonsense about how he hates to lie, especially as Superman. The Clark of the first two seasons understood perfectly that Superman is a disguise, which by definition, is a lie. He never had issues using double meanings and skirting around the truth. It was part of the fun of the show, really, watching him twist and lie his way out of predicaments. This episode is a perfect example of how the characters became lobotomized versions of their former selves.
Okay, have to agree completely with you here. This was a good example of Clark, the lunkhead, and that he was able to convince his folks and Lois to go along with him for the good of Superman. :rolleyes: Ouch! I see what you mean.

This was probably the MOST infuriating part of the episode. Really? Lex Luthor, Tempus, Dianna Stride, Mazik and.....Oh, I don't know, the entire crowd of paparazzi camped out his home didn't teach him that this was a bad idea. Seriously, stupid. UN-Clark like. Out of character. Why would he fly his parents there anyway? Hello? Paparazzi are outside your house. Are you trying to make things worse. That whole speel about lying and standing for the truth....No, just no.

And Lois? Geez, if you can move your hands to shush Clark and/or play charades, you can friggin' rip the tape off your mouth. I miss KickButt!Lois.
Yeah, I've always wondered about that too. I was like, why isn't he talking to her? clap Well done!

They just wanted to play charades. The writers probably stuck challenges in each episode and decided charades needed to be a part of the episode. (Kinda like our Fanfic challenges....only ours actually come out making sense :P)

I guess this episode is a good example of we've got to film, so give us the script you have and we'll run with it, plot holes or not. Only kids watch this show because it's about Superman, so it doesn't matter. (yes, I know ironic given the subject matter of this episode, but that's the only excuse I can come up with to explain it).

It was a good idea but they skewed too far and lost focus when they were developing the storyline. I prefer our fanfic versions anyday over the actual episode.

Except for the fireplace scene. I love the fireplace scene. Over and over and over and over and over again.... :P

evil hyper love

~ Folc4evernaday

Jodi Picoult - You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page.
https://loisclarktribute.com
Subscribe on YouTube