Millefeuilles, please understand that I put that comment in for everyone, not just you. The only reason it appears in my later post is because I forgot to put it in my first post. I should not have pointed my finger at France, because there are intelligent and reasonable people on both sides of that particular debate in most countries.

I view Lex as a greedy psychopathic amoral opportunistic monster, but he doesn't view himself that way. Except for the long-form "Road" trilogy my muses forced me to write, I've always presented him in that manner, and that's what I was trying to show in his point of view.

Here's another note. When my muses tossed this idea to me, it was going to be a story where the reader thought it was Lois' execution, and it wouldn't be made clear until the very end that it was really Lex who was about to die. But I couldn't figure out how to show a Lex-centered internal monologue that sounded like Lois. Lois is sure of herself most every time she makes a choice, but that's because she adheres to a legal and moral standard (she'll break into an office to find evidence to help convict a criminal but not to advance a personal agenda or steal money). Lex, on the other hand, thinks only of enriching himself and accruing more power and influence. If he orders a break-in, he expects personal gain and never mind any plebeian concepts such as "right" or "wrong." For him, they simply don't exist as objective standards.

Anyway, enough pontificating. Let's read (and write) some more L&C fanfic!

Last edited by Terry Leatherwood; 10/22/16 11:41 PM.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing