What in the world is going on?
Okay, I see now. Clark's uncharacteristically hesitant because he is vulnerable, knowing he's been rejected and that he can get hurt again at any moment. I'm very picky about characterization, but I think it makes sense nconsidering his sensitivity at this point.
I wonder...has Lois time traveled? Was Tempus behind this? Is that why Lois remembers things she shouldn't? Or is this Lois with amnesia being taken back in time? Somehow, I don't get the feeling that Lois figured out CK=Superman by herself. But if she already has the memories, it's got to have at least something to do with Tempus.
Lois always had so much faith in Superman, even in the darkest of moments. Why didn't she just ask for his help? Why can't she ask for help?
It sounds like Lois has been ordered to find out as much as she can about Clark and then out him as Superman. That would give him pain that wouldn't (hopefully) last forever. It sounds like she has a good reason for torturing him-at least, I expect she does, because Lois is an incredibly loyal person. This would also likely mess up the Utopia. But if she's hurting the Utopia, why does she think she's saving the world? Maybe our worst nightmare has happened: Lex has teamed up with Tempus.
I wonder what saving the world means, exactly. If she's been threatened, surely it's something Clark could handle? Does whoever it is have kryptonite? But even then, wouldn't she come to Superman for help? He always finds a way. This cruelty on Lois's part is hard to swallow especially considering Claude's way of using her. And maybe that's why it hurts so much-not only is he her friend, and the most deserving person she knows, but she knows exactly what she's doing to him. For that reason I'm hoping that "save the world" means that there are lives at risk. It's a delicate balance-I won't like a cruel Lois, because she isn't cruel. But I'm will to gamble on this unfortunate Lois because if Clark suddenly lost his superpowers and the same situation happened to him, he would do the same. It might tear him apart just as much as it is Lois, but he'd do the same. I think even Lois would understand and forgive him in time.
Clark doesn't have the history or trust issues that Lois has, but he is afraid of being rejected. I want to be able to forgive Lois-but even more, I hope Clark can, too.
I was really set on Tempus, but after thinking about it, Lex Luthor has to be involved. Why else would all this happen right after she says no to Luthor?

The irony here is that Lois probably needs Superman now more than ever, and she just can't have him. I feel so much for those two. This one act of evil will probably kill Lois even more than it will Clark; I'm counting on you to protect and fix them after whatever traumatizing event ends Lois's deceit.

I was so excited for this chapter that I had to read it twice. I'm loving your style even more-there's a mystery here, and the emotions are revealing it piece by piece. I can't wait for more!

"I really do believe that we're all put here on this earth, or whatever planet we're put on, to do better than we think we can. To be kind, helpful, generous, and forgiving."
"You know something, CK? She's a class act."
"I've always thought so."