It's interesting how passionately people feel about deathfic in this fandom. I've written stories in a number of fandoms, but I've seldom seen quite such strong reactions to the subject of death. I'm not sure why this is -- maybe because LnC is fairly light-hearted, whereas some other fandoms are a lot heavier on the angst.

My question about deathfic wasn't a spoiler for Panem, by the way. It was a general question that I'd been curious about, since I've seen every one of those reunification scenarios in LnC fanfic. Some of them are canon (faking death, for example, in TOGOM, though it was readily apparent to the audience that Clark wasn't dead). Of course, there's also the reappearance of Luthor, who certainly did appear dead to the audience but was brought back.

In wider Superman canon (not LnC, but the comics), there was the whole death of Superman storyline, where he appeared dead, and the characters (and readers) mourned, but then it turned out he wasn't quite dead after all. (Of course, DC Comics kills off characters and brings them back so often that it's kind of a joke -- if your favorite character dies, wait a while and they'll be back.)

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland