Her mouth dropped open and she completely forgot to answer.

Blue pen.

A short stripe of blue pen, just behind his ear.
Squee!!!!!!! laugh After he washed it off, I didn't think you were going to go there!

He needed to take her to the hospital. But he was probably blowing this all out of proportion. All he had heard was one, barely audible, sniff.
Clark blows things out of proportion and jumps to conclusions faster than a speeding bullet!

Now … knowing who he really was, knowing that he only considered her a 'friend', knowing the number of women in his 'human' life who would gladly fall at his feet at only one word from him, never mind the rest of the world's desire for his famous alter ego … she had zero chance.
This is a really interesting take. Usually Lois thinks that Superman is more attainable now that she knows he's Clark. I like her reasoning that makes her think that Clark is less attainable now that she knows who he is.

It's heartwrenching to see both of them pining for the other one, thinking that it's hopeless. They certainly both have reason to believe that their love is unrequited, and neither wants to make the first move for fear of being rejected. I'm eager to see how they resolve their communication problem in the next chapter. (They do, right? You can't possibly leave them both miserable! smile )

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)