This was heartbreaking to read, but exactly the way the story needed to go. Once Lois pushed Clark for his secret, it had to end like this. He couldn't not tell her, but Clark was absolutely right that it was way too soon. She didn't know him, hadn't met his family, hadn't seen him at work or in his apartment ... all those things that lead Lois to know that Clark is completely "human" before she learns where he came from. Everything was over, and Clark knew it, even as he forced out the words. That poor, poor boy. mecry

Lois's response was devastating, but again, completely expected. What else could she think? The only thing that surprised me was that, while she finally came down on the side that he actually believed the story his parents told him, she never completed the thought with, "I finally meet the man of my dreams and he's mentally ill." Too painful to admit, that she hadn't noticed any other signs of delusion? Easier to believe that his parents were at fault for messing with his head than that he himself may have created his fantasy world?

Of course, with two parts to go, this isn't the end of the story ... and somehow, Lois is going to allow herself to be convinced. And I'm really, really looking forward to seeing how you do it! thumbsup

As for the phone call, I agree that Lois was completely clear that she didn't want Clark to call her, but given that this is the night he had promised to call (is it nearly 8:00, by any chance?), I'm not at all surprised she thinks/hopes it might be him. Not only has she been thinking about him (and trying not to think about him) for the last two days straight, but she has just admitted to herself that she misses him terribly, despite how things ended. So it makes perfect sense that, when the phone rings, she can't help but wonder if it's him.

But if it is, serious kudos to Clark for being brave enough to pick up the phone. I can't even imagine how devastated he has been these last two days. (Poor, poor boy!!) So for him to put himself out there again, to risk having her hang up on him or scream at him ... very, very brave.

Sob! My poor Clark! wink

More, please! smile1

Kathy