I remember when this came out. I had just started getting back into the Superman fandom (I'd been a fan before but not really involved in the fandom in any manner) and had been interested in seeing it. I saw a promo on TV with my then fiance (we were only a month away from marrying) and said that I wanted to see it. "You mean a Superman movie where Lois is married and had a child with someone else?" I went 'wha???' I just couldn't wrap my mind around it at all. It didn't make any sense to me. What I later found out about it as time went by leading up to the release of the movie (only a month after we got married) turned me off from this film, saying "It's not my Superman." I love the Reeve movies, adore the Fleischer shorts, enjoy the (80-90s) comics, even watched both Lois and Clark and the Animated Series when they were on TV but I couldn't bring myself to set foot in the theater out of loyalty for the character (and how my ship had been torn asunder when my own Superman and I had just gotten married.)

I did later rent the movie and later purchased it out of the closeout bin as I did like Routh's version of Clark. The premise of his leaving still bothered me but I had read a fanfiction written by kalalanekent (over on ffic.net or LJ) called "Little Secrets" that really put it in perspective enough that I could handwave it away for the duration of my time watching the film. I do strongly recommend Little Secrets and it's sequels for those that enjoy the Reeve films as they had closely based the characterization of Kal-El/Clark and Lois on the Reeve movies instead of the "Superman Returns" but followed the storyline of the movie (making it a stronger fic than even the movie was.)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)