My Missing Lois epic is completed, finished, and I've written 'The End', [Dance] but it will take a while to get every part posted to the MB (a very long while)... so in that sense would it be considered a WIP? I'm still breaking it up into individual parts / posts, so I don't have the final number of parts worked out, only an estimate. It is also still being read by Betas.
No, in this context, complete would refer solely to a story which had been posted to the mbs in its entirety.

Is this an accurate way to use the Parts indicator? Or would it better just to put (1/??)?
It's probably best to include a total parts no. - most readers like to have at least an approximate indication of how long or short a story is going to be. It's recognised though that this is going to be purely an estimate and that the total may well change as the story progresses, so you don't have to be laser accurate with it.

I've spotted a potential issue with any system, if I'm still going to be the one doing the majority of the TOC updates and that is I don't go into the story or comments posts when I update the TOCs. I just click on the post header and copy location. Which means that there's no way for me to actually tell when a story has been completed - unless it's in the header of the last story part. That is "Masques 20/20", for example.

Which would be another good reason to include the total part no., now that I think about it. laugh

So authors would either need to do their own TOCs, or would have to make sure that there's an indication in the header of the final story part that it's the last part being posted or that the story is complete, so that I can transfer that information to the TOC update.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers