Terry, I understand what different points of view are, but telling a completely different story is telling a completely different story.
Gen 1: plants - animals - humans (male and female)
Gen 2: man - plants - animals - woman
Even if we agree that there must have been some plants, only not those of the field and no trees, either, there is a difference in the order of things. Truly, things get mixed up quite badly in one of the first chapters of Genesis (the first of which, at least, follows some scientific logic, although the timescale is way off), considering this is supposed to be the same story told from different points of view. One of the narrators must have been badly drunk (or whatever) to get things as wrong as he did. Or maybe it's just the archfiend messing with our heads so we just have to believe a little harder? Because it's not just the plants, a point you can argue because not all plants are necessarily included in the group not yet there, it's also about all the animals which are later created as man's help. Later, after man is settled in the garden God planted.

And what about the flood? 2=14? Or 2=4?

When my wife came in from her garden a few weeks ago, she told me she'd planted carrots and tomatoes and strawberries and a few other things. I went out to the garden and didn't see any of those plants. All I saw was dirt. But I understood that she meant that she had placed the seeds in the ground and that they would sprout soon, after she watered her garden.
Well, yes, that's somewhat obvious. But if your wife told you she had planted a garden with plants, not seeds - and then you go and see nothing but dry dirt, you'll start to wonder. Also, if she told you she had brought a number of animals - and you couldn't find any because they are still to be taught... honestly, wouldn't you start to worry about her sanity? And if she then told you that dinner is ready - would you actually believe it, or expect to have to prepare it yourself? Because that's what happened with the accounts in Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Also, I'm well aware of how 14C-dating works and what its limits are. But there's a number of other isotopes used for dating (half-life given in brackets): uranium(235U: 700 million years; 238U: 4.5 billion years), potassium (40Na: 1.3 billion years), rubidium (87Rb: 50 million years), chlorine (36Cl: 308,000 years), argon (40Ar: 1.25 billion years), iodine (129I: 15,7 million years).

All of these are used in geology, and many of them were used to give an estimate of the age of earth. Also, a number of meteorites have been examined to verify this, since material from our planet can change its composition due to processes in the core. (Since modern theories claim that the solar system was created in the following order: 1) sun; 2) gas planets (first Jupiter, then Saturn, then the others), 3) earth-like planets and smaller pieces of rock, this is not the worst idea.) And you know what? The results of several meteorites plus the oldest lead ores of our planet show pretty much the same results: 4.5 billion years. (One exception shows a result of 4.68 +/- 0.15 billion years.)

@Ann: Re: Circular Argument:
[Linked Image]

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)