C_A wrote:
There is a certain truth to the saying that if you want to stay friends with someone you should stear clear of discussing politics or religion with them [Wink] .
I've heard that saying a lot during my life. And I think it's just as invalid as saying "you can't legislate morality." Every time any lawmaking body passes a law regulating the behavior of its members, it is a statement that the action being legislated against is contrary to the public good. That in and of itself is a moral statement, and is done by every legislative body in the world, from the US Congress to the local writers group.

If I can't speak my opinion in front of my friend without ruining our friendship, that friendship doesn't go very deep. Friends don't have to have the same beliefs and opinions, because if that's your criteria for friendship you won't have very many.

Please note that I do NOT believe that beating my friend about the head and shoulders with my political or religious beliefs is a good thing. In that case, I would indeed be pushing my friend away, and that would be wrong.

But simply stating what I believe and then listening to my friend's response is, I believe, perfectly valid. And unless my friend's response threatens me ("All Republicans should be interned!" or "All Democrats should be shot on sight!") there's no reason to allow it to ruin the friendship. No one has all the information on any subject, and I'm willing to listen to what others have to say.

However, I also ask that others be willing to listen to what I have to say. If anyone isn't willing to listen, then I won't say anything to you about that subject. But if you refuse to listen to me - or to anyone else with an opinion which differs from yours - you risk never developing friendships deep enough to stand such strain. And those are the friendships which can last a lifetime.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing