You English-speakers and your one thousand different ways of pronouncing 'a'... razz

It took me at least two listenings to figure out exactly what was different between the two options. I could hear they were slightly different, now that they were given as examples and I was *waiting* for the difference, but if I had heard the two options spoken by two different people in an everyday conversation, I probably wouldn't have noticed. But I guess having grown up learning Greek, where there's only one, very clear way of pronouncing 'a', I haven't been trained to tell apart easily these subtle differences.

Or maybe you guys are just very nitpicky [Linked Image]

As for how I pronounce it... I'm confused. I thought I said the first - well, in my head, I thought the first, with a very clear, very Greek 'a'. (Think Spanish 'a'.) But when I tried to *say* it, it came out more like the second option - or, well, less like the first option; not so clearly 'a'. (Haven't voted yet.)

And Paul - you sound nothing like I thought you would. I never imagined you had such a deep voice. (It's great, though smile Charming, even, if you'll allow me.)

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...