Well, like I said, I'm leaning toward the password-protected website idea, personally -- I've had several different experiences of getting a CD/DVD in the mail and then finding out that my system couldn't play it. whinging It seems very likely to me that others would be in the same boat.

And then there's the question of whether people would be comfortable giving out their mailing addresses. Random fly-by lurkers wouldn't donate, I wouldn't think, but there might be long-term lurkers, or people going by an alias, or very security-conscious FOLCs who would prefer not to share that information.

OTOH, obviously some other people love the idea of a DVD -- no download time, take it with you anywhere without the hassle of burning it, it looks wicked cool on the shelf, etc.

So... why can't we offer both? Set a minimum donation level, whatever it takes to cover costs, and then let the donor decide if he/she would like a DVD to be mailed, or would prefer getting a website address and password.

Would it work to set one minimum donation level for a DVD, if you want one, with a slightly lower level for getting a password? I'm assuming that the website option would be less expensive than shipping, but I may be wrong -- obviously there are costs involved in hosting websites (otherwise we wouldn't need to raise funds!).

Just some thoughts smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K