I know this is about to veer off topic, but I just have to address this because it's something that fascinates me.

But have you ever visited Southern Maryland? (No, DC is not "southern Maryland.") It's like its own little world, more similar to Georgia in some places than neighboring regions of Maryland. And they talk like Georgians, too.
I can't say I've spent any quality time in Southern Maryland, no more than an occassional passing through. However, I know exactly what you mean because there are certainly parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania (both clearly Yankee states) that are pockets of the South. The area of Ohio I live in for awhile sported southern accents, a plethora of country music stations, pickup trucks with confederate flags and a Bible Belt mentality that rivals any southern state. In fact, I'd wager that it's more stereotypically "southern" than the actually Southern city I now reside in. There was even a town a few miles over with the slogan "come back soon, y'all" on their water tower. So I'm always intrigued by these southern pockets that seem to show up around the country. Maryland is less surprising, I guess, since it is (or was anyway) technically a Southern state. But I find it very interesting in more Northern states. I guess it has to do with how long families have lived in an area and where they came from previously.

But not before she points out that she's just celebrated her fifth anniversary in Chapel Hill, officially doubling the longest amount of time she's ever lived in one city.
True that. <G> And apropos my many moves (30+ moves in 20 years really ought to be some sort of record...) I'd like to mention that I just celebrated my fifth anniversary in Chapel Hill, officially doubling the longest amount of time I've ever lived in one city. If that doesn't make this home, I don't know what does. <G>

And now I'll stop rambling (sorry Wendy) and let this get back on topic. So, how about those grits...? <G>

Annie (who may not be Southern by birth, but figures that was just a slight mix up that was easily enough fixed once she was of legal age)

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen