Sometimes the B-Plots can be just as complex and convoluted as the A-Plots. <g> Little Girl Lost was like that. At the beginning, I knew that the A-Plot would be very slow developing and that it was a clever black-market baby ring. What I didn't know is that it would become so intertwined with the B-Plot. Being a different kind of next gen story, I wanted both plots to be woven around children, but I didn't know how much Rachel would take over. <g> I knew from the beginning that I wanted her first story to end with her adoption, and the birth of Lois and Clark's first biological child, but I let the rest develop naturally. Rachel did some things that surprised me, and became essential to the A-plot as well. The lovely destroy-the-bathroom scene is the prime example of Rachel dictating what she was going to do--I just couldn't really stop her! I also knew that that Lois and Clark would only keep her for so long--I was attempting to keep it realistic. I'd actually envisioned it as a short story, silly me, but it turned into a novel. The biggest surprise was when it turned nfic. <g> I'd only ever written one nfic vignette before, and that was because it just wouldn't let me be until I wrote it out. So when Lois and Clark started heading that direction, I couldn't stop them either, because it expressed what they were going through better.

Almost everything else was a surprise, and the times, dates, and locations at the front of the scenes was invaluable in keeping my timeline true. Theough, I bet Robin still has nightmares about me accidently going *backward* a month or two, so that we went to say... January after it was March!

evil Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying