I voted that I control my story, but honestly it's kind of a dance... I know where I want to go, but don't always know exactly how to get there -- I like to see what the characters think about it smile But then, that's still me controlling it, since the characters *are* only in my head... goofy

I used to just start writing and see where things went -- and in at least three cases, it went nowhere for a looooong time goofy So I've gotten away from that, the last few years. I need a plan before I get started, so I don't write myself into a corner. But I only plan out the big events, so there's still plenty of room for creativity along the way.

The one exception is when something just refuses to work. It might be a scene, it might be a particular character choice... but when it's just not working, I don't force it. Writer's block is my mind telling me I'm doing it wrong. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K