I'm also diabetic. Type 2, which is not the type that Paul has, if I understand his situation right.

I have a dietician on my health care team that I see a couple times a year - she took a look at my weight, my exercise level, the kinds of food I like to eat, how much food I eat, and when I eat, then we made up an eating system (not a diet, lol) that I can live with.

I must eat three meals and three snacks per day (at specific times), composed of a certain number of starch, protein, fruit/veggie, fat, and extra choices each. I had to learn how much of a food item makes one choice, and at first I had to physically measure it out using kitchen measuring equipment. But now I know what the approximate measurements are and don't have to do that anymore.

When I follow my eating plan and take my diabetic meds, I lose the weight. If I can add exercise, of course it helps, but it's just one part to a whole system.

Just before I came to Korea, I had lost about 30 pounds in about 6 months, but when I came here, I had to adjust to new foods and eating times - not to mention that I ran out of one of my meds for a while - and I gained it all back... But I'm going home in seven days and five hours, so I'll be able to go back on plan then...

Woo-HOO!! party

Melisma (ducking back under her Rock to pack some more, and finish up her grades...)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda