Originally posted by Anna B. The Greek
A few weeks ago, my father wanted to cancel our cable TV service, because we don't use it anymore. When he called (or went there? Not sure) to ask them to cancel our subscription, they offered to lower the price. He cancelled nonetheless, and then came back to tell us that even if he didn't have the intent to cancel before, he would have cancelled right after they offered to lower the price. He found it very cheap on their behalf that they'll keep charging you regular price if you're a regular customer of years, but they'll lower it if you just say you don't want the service anymore.
A similar thing happened to my dad. He complained about our cable service for months, then finally decided to cancel it. They charged us the cancellation, and sent a technician. The worst part was that the guy was so skilled that besides cutting our cable signal, he also cut our link to the external antenna (so we couldn't connect the tv to the regular service) and the company never assumed the mistake.

Now, every time someone from that company calls us with a promotion for old customers, or an unfortunate (and unsuspecting) sales person from said company happens by our door just to advertise the amazing offers of the season, my father goes ballistic and points all the disservice that was made to his family by the cable provider untill the person on the other side wants either to disconnect the call or run away.Yay for dad. I'm usually a peaceful person but I just get a kick out of this. Every single time. devil

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett