Originally posted by Anna B. the Greek:
I agree with all the others. You were completely right and they don't have a leg to stand on. Just trying to force you to pay some money.

A few weeks ago, my father wanted to cancel our cable TV service, because we don't use it anymore. When he called (or went there? Not sure) to ask them to cancel our subscription, they offered to lower the price. He cancelled nonetheless, and then came back to tell us that even if he didn't have the intent to cancel before, he would have cancelled right after they offered to lower the price. He found it very cheap on their behalf that they'll keep charging you regular price if you're a regular customer of years, but they'll lower it if you just say you don't want the service anymore.

[b]ETA:
I was writing as you posted your update! Glad to know it's all solved. smile [/b]
I had this happen with my previous ISP and made the mistake of accepting the offer and staying with them for a couple more years, during which time their service slowly deteriorated to the point that I was already looking for an alternative last summer when they suddenly announced that they were unable to continue to serve my area and would discontinue it later this month. I've now switched to another that charges less than their discount rate and gives a faster reliable service.

I think I'm going to have to take a very close look at my current insurance company too - I've let it coast for too long without getting comparative quotes, and they are fairly slow settling claims.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game