Over here in the States, we just saw "Midnight" on the SciFi channel this past Friday. I thought it was tight, powerful, and intense. But it lacked one of the things Donna told someone (Jenny, I think) earlier this season that she did a lot of.

Running. Nobody ran anywhere, not even inside the tour bus.

I also thought it was significant that the Doctor used his sonic widgit on the mind-numbing "entertainment" and then suggested that everyone talk to each other. He's just a party waiting to happen.

This Friday we get Donna and Rose together. I'll have to record it for my daughter, who is a definite Doctor/Rose shipper (even though I don't think she knows the term).

"Midnight" looked to me like a bottle show. For those of you who don't know the term, it means a show with a minimum of sets, action, and special effects, usually scheduled so the show can pay for bigger effects or sets or higher-priced guest stars in other episodes. RTD was probably writing with these constraints in mind, and when you can't do big action, big special effects, and big guest appearance fees, you're stuck doing either procedural or psychological stories.

I thought the episode was very touching in the end, both when the Doctor and Donna were talking about what happened and she repeated something he'd said and he all but demanded that she not repeat him, and when the Doctor asked the rest of the passengers the name of the hostess and no one knew it. The tour company would know, of course, but it was significant that an anonymous person sacrificed herself to purchase the lives of people she didn't know and probably would never have seen again if this tragedy hadn't happened.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing